18 May 2012

27

Another feverishly warm tropical night. I hear waves washing upon the shore - a perpetual rhythm like the pulsing of my blood. Beat after beat. I fall asleep and dream in vivid technicolour. I'm in Derbyshire again tackling Walk 27 - Bakewell, Chatsworth Park and the River Wye. I park up near the old railway station in Bakewell and soon I'm crossing the little town's golf course where I see this cock pheasant:-
On the turnpike road between Bakewell and Edensor I spot this old guide stoop which predates the building of Chatsworth House:-
I walk through the estate village of Edensor - built by the sixth Duke of Devonshire in the early nineteenth century to replace the old village that they demolished because it "spoilt" his view from Chatsworth. I notice a fairytale cottage - Rock Villa:-
In front of the famous Chatsworth House by the River Derwent, sheep are grazing:-
I walk past the old corn mill that hasn't ground any corn since the nineteen fifties:-
On to Rowsley and Haddon and along the banks of the River Wye towards Bakewell's Grade I listed fourteenth century stone bridge - still in daily use. I see a Canada goose called Trudeau. He asks me which way it is to Trelawnyd:-
And that's when I wake up sweating like Charlie Brooks. I knew I shouldn't have had that large Tequila Sunrise down at the social club last night. Ten miles of vivid dreaming and a bloody talking goose to boot! Is there a shrink in the house? Jenny?

4 comments:

  1. now I know you must be taking these images out of a book and scanning them in because we haven't had blue skies like that in weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARCTIC ROLL Like I said - it was all a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The razor-sharp clarity with which you dreamed 'Rock Villa' would surely rival any image a camera could take - even your new one! 20/20 internal mind's eye vision. Wow. (Fabulous image! - my favourite so far.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KATHERINE Thank you. The power of dreams should not be underestimated.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits