5 September 2013

Baxinsky

Statue of Mr Brague William Wallace near Dryburgh
When we were in the Scottish Borders last week, we met up with one of my heroes - the renown Borders photographer Sir Walter Baxter who I have blogged about before - here. Passionate about his home area, Sir Walter has meticulously captured thousands of  wonderful images of the Scottish Borders which reveal the region's beauty, its history and some of its quirkiness.

We met him in the town of Melrose but - and I kid you not - Sir Walter was expecting me to look like my blog image that you can see in the sidebar. This is just a silly picture I put together using Yorkshire puddings and a sausage. Imagine walking down the street looking like that! People would run a mile! 

Anyway after some initial confusion Sir Walter led us to Russell's Tea Room in the Market Square where he had reserved a table for lunch. It was a bit posh for Shirley and I - with blue rinse Scottish ladies sipping tea and Scottish gentlemen warming their hands vigorously inside their sporrans. Sir Walter kept interspersing our conversation with unfamilar terms and expressions such "och aye", "hen", "away the noo" and "ye Sassenach bastards!"

I was sweating about the lunch bill but then something incredible happened. Sir Walter insisted that he would pay the bill. Now as you probably know, the Scots are well-known for their meanness. Only Yorkshiremen are tighter with their money. Walter's generosity proved to me that he could not possibly be a fullblood Scotsman and later investigations suggested that he is actually of eastern European extraction - probably linked to the noble Baxinsky family of northern Poland. Well that's my theory.

After the delightful lunch, we drove on towards Dryburgh Abbey, stopping at Scott's View and at William Wallace's Statue - which spookily reminded me of a certain resident of Canton, Georgia. In Dryburgh Abbey's evocative ruins we saw the graves of the novelist Sir Walter Scott and of the wartime military leader Field Marshal Douglas Haig.

It was an honour to meet with Sir Walter - having only "known" him via his photographs and e-mail communications. The fellow has a gentle demeanour and a wry sense of humour but I must apologise to him for not looking like my sidebar image. Perhaps I should invest in some radical plastic surgery! Shirley snapped us in the car park at Dryburgh Abbey. When Livingstone met Stanley...when Lennon met McCartney...when Gilbert met Sullivan...and now when Baxinsky met Pudding. Such meetings can change the world...
Baxinsky and Pudding

20 comments:

  1. Yet another good read.

    Not mean or tight but careful I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be "careful" Adrian but I will be tight and mean and proud of it!

      Delete
  2. Obviously you both are prejudiced against plaids and and vertical stripes.

    The statue that reminded you of me reminds me of the Vulcan statue in Birmingham, Alabama -- the pose is different but the face is the same. The one in Birmingham, however, is bare behind and the locals call it "Moon Over Homewood"...perhaps Frances has spoken of it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know - you are right about the similarity in statues. You could look up Wallace's kilt and see a great big...gaping hole!

      Delete
  3. Is Baxinsky wearing Haig's britches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! He looks like Field Marshal Haig doesn't he but I'm not sure that Haig would have picked that top!

      Delete
  4. What a special thing to share. And beautiful photos from the Baxatron in your back post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you checked out The Baxatron's "work". Quietly and humbly, he is a fantastic photographer.

      Delete
  5. Hold tight, hold tight. I beg to differ. The Scots are a most generous race. How do I know, because for five years I experienced it first hand living in the Highlands. Love the photo, mind. Still got your hands in your pockets though!

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshiremen's pockets are like Scotsmen's sporrans - good for warming your hands up. As for Scottish generosity - they were probably trying to drive you out with kindness...Er, where do you live now Lettice?

      Delete
    2. Kent. They're a funny lot around here, understandable I suppose, what with me being a Kentish Maid.

      How the devil are you these days Mr YP? In good form I hope?

      LLX

      Delete
  6. Nice. To see me and you go to the same stylist pud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, "Scarecrows Unlimited" always do a good job.

      Delete
  7. Interesting reading this. I didn't know about the statue of Wallace or anything about Baxinsky or Scotland. I did once date a woman who said she was from Scotland or her parents were from Scotland. One night we had some kind of stew like stuff for supper. She said it took three days to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - I suspect she was trying to poison you. Good job you don't see her any more!

      Delete
  8. blog meet ups are wonderful aren't they? lovely photos yp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blog meet ups can be nervy. I have also met Jennyta (Wales) and Katherine de Chevalle (NZ). Fortunately they were lovely, intelligent women and not axe murderers! Is that your favourite pastime Libby?

      Delete
  9. I've met 3 bloggers so far and all of them have been lovely intelligent women......and I'm alright too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! That's a relief! I could almost hear you sharpening your axe!

      Delete
  10. Thinking ~ Scottish ladies + Kentish Maids + axe murderer = hits

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits