1 April 2014

Confessions

In Hull City's matchday programmes they have a feature called "Confessions" in which particular players are asked to reveal themselves through responses to a series of questions. These were the questions addressed by Irish international Robbie Brady in the last programme:-

What is your greatest fear?
What is your earliest memory?
Which living person do you most admire and why?
What was your most embarrassing moment?
Property aside, what's the most expensive thing you have bought?
What is your most treasured possession?
Where would you like to live?
What would your super power be?
What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Who would play you in the film of your life?
What is your most unappealing habit?
What is the trait you most deplore in others?
What is your favourite book?
What is your favourite smell?
What would be your fancy dress costume of choice?
To whom would you most like to say sorry and why?
Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
What has been your biggest disappointment?
What is your guiltiest pleasure?
If you could go back in time, where would you go?
What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
What makes you unhappy?
Tell us a joke.

Above, I have deliberately left the questions unanswered so that bloggers who fancy the challenge can just copy and paste them into their own blogposts. And now below, perhaps fantasising that I am a Hull City midfield general wotth five million quid, here are my own responses:-

What is your greatest fear? Fear doesn't really play a big part in my life but I will say a catastophic mechanical failure or tyre blowout while driving at 80mph in the fast lane of a busy motorway
What is your earliest memory? Doctor Baker was in the house and I had been kept downstairs. Mum was in my parents' bedroom and Dad was there too. I was at the bottom of the carpeted staircase and I remember my little brother's first cries from above. I was utterly confused.
Which living person do you most admire and why? I am not one for hero worship. Apart from Shirley and our wonderful children I will say Bob Dylan for his incredible songwriting ability and his endurance.
What was your most embarrassing moment? Perhaps that afternoon at a large English Literature examiners' meeting when a man entered the room dressed as a gorilla. He came right over to my work station and picked me up, throwing me over his shoulder before marauding around the room.
Property aside, what's the most expensive thing you have bought? A Seat Ibiza car.
What is your most treasured possession? My guitar.
Where would you like to live? I am settled here in the suburbs of Sheffield. Moving to the countryside is attractive but also concerning. One of the most comfortable places I have ever been was San Francisco. If I were younger I would have seriously considered living there
What would your super power be? The immediate translation of foreign languages so that no matter where I travelled I would know what people were saying.
What do you most dislike about your appearance? I am too handsome - it would have been nice to be a bit uglier - like other people.
Who would play you in the film of your life? Clint Eastwood in his prime - not the blethering idiot he has become.
What is your most unappealing habit? A toss up between occasionally forgetting to zip up my flyhole and passing foul smelling wind after curry or cabbage (Too much information?)
What is the trait you most deplore in others? Strutting around thinking you are better than others. In my view of life we are all equal and wealth, intelligence or social status are immaterial.
What is your favourite book? I don't really have a favourite book. The idea of it seems quite absurd. There are many books I have enjoyed. At the moment I am reading "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte and I am enjoying it. It's very easy to consume.
What is your favourite smell? The slightly metallic smell of ozone rising from a city street when rain has fallen after a hot, dry spell of weather.
What would be your fancy dress costume of choice? A tiger (Hull City are nicknamed The Tigers).
To whom would you most like to say sorry and why? The young woman who was raped by a gang of Glasgow Rangers supporters on the train that Zippy and I were travelling on - back to Stirling from Aberdeen in 1975. There was nothing we could do.
Which words or phrases do you most overuse? Hello, thank you, please, good morning and "take care".
What has been your biggest disappointment? Shirley's two ectopic pregnancies and losing the children that might have been.
What is your guiltiest pleasure? Salted peanuts.
If you could go back in time, where would you go? Back to childhood when Mum and Dad were alive and there was me and my three brothers at home and Oscar our cat. After passing my eleven plus I would insist on going to Beverley Grammar School rather than taking up the scholarship I won to Hymers College in Hull.
What is the most important lesson life has taught you? That it is very short. That there's no such thing as God. That we should be kind to each other.
What do you consider your greatest achievement? In tandem with Shirley, raising two lovely, fun-loving, sensitive and hard-working children
What makes you unhappy? Macroworld: Extinction of creatures and man's encroachment into natural, unblemished parts of our world. Microworld: Not being able to finish the crossword in "The Sheffield Star".
Tell us a joke. QWhat did the octopus say to the oyster? A....Don't be so shellfish.

16 comments:

  1. Now, now YP. Hull in it's entirety isn't worth five million pounds.

    You are very brave filling in such a questionnaire. I daren't so I won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hull is priceless. I know there are some skeletons in the Adrian cupboard so you are wise to keep schtum.

      Delete
    2. YP, you are right. I have more things to be ashamed of than I have to be proud of. But Hull is a forgotten part of England. I see Katy Kambridge had little goergey on display for mummies day. That is is the acceptable twist on benefit scrounging two million of our money spent on a flat we already own. Don't the royals know the subjects are suffering? Yes they do and couldn't give a flying dove.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating. Although only a resident of the UK would select San Francisco as an ideal place to live. The weather there varies from fog to more fog to cold, and then fog with cold, followed by rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty, he is from Hull. It's sister town is called Grimsby.

      Delete
    2. Marty. Please don't listen to the roguish Adrian - now a fugitive from the law in Scotland... But what about the song - "Let's go to San Francisco where the flowers grow so very high". Surely Scott McKenzie wasn't lying!

      Delete
  3. I did laugh at the ugly comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handsomeness is so tiresome isn't it Earl? People often fail to see past one's external beauty. I am thinking of having reverse plastic surgery and have got some good ideas for the surgeon from various blog profile pictures.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I thought that had been done already

      Delete
  4. The most expensive thing I ever bought? A wedding ring if you count the subsequent divorce. And I did it twice!

    Clint Eastwood? Who says Yorkshiremen don't have a sense of humour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See you Jimmy! If Kenneth Williams was still alive he'd make a perfect Hippo Gowans!

      Delete
    2. Not Tommy Cooper?

      Delete
  5. Some of those questions made me think (which is always a good thing), but I doubt I'll answer them on my blog or anywhere else - I would then have to rename myself from "Librarian with secrets" to "Librarian without secrets". Also, some of these - such as the one about the favourite book - I simply can not answer. On the other hand, for those who read my blog carefully and have done so for a while, many answers are already there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't copy your questions for some reason on the trusty iPad ~ might have to use one of those old fashioned things ~ a computer.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits