29 November 2018

Chorus

Some visitors may recall that I made a song in September. It was inspired by a trip that my adoring wife and I made to Orford Ness in Suffolk.

We were strolling along by brambly briers in late summer sunshine, heading for the old lighthouse that will one day be consumed by the sea. My heart felt light and gay - if I might reclaim that word - and I started to sing.

Instead of letting it evaporate into the ether, I hung on to that tune and built a proper song around it. I wrote down the lyrics and everything and then with difficulty managed to make a YouTube presentation of it. I called the song "Orford Ness" and if you are interested you can still find it here.

Then the week before last we visited Whitby on the coast of North Yorkshire. When we returned, a poem welled up from inside me and I wrote it down, calling it at first simply "Whitby". I shared it with visitors to "Yorkshire Pudding" here.

"Whitby" was just meant to be a poem to read - nothing more but then I spotted this comment from Bonnie in Missouri, USA:-
Bonnie had thrown down a gauntlet that I was happy to pick up.

I am delighted to report that I have now turned "Whitby" into a song called "Whitby Shore". As I worked upon it I felt that it needed a chorus and here it is:-
Unfortunately, I am presently unable to share the finished song with you as my laptop microphone has decided to give me a speech impediment whereby the sibilance of my "s" sounds has become distorted. Nonetheless before too long I hope to make a blogpost featuring  "Whitby Shore" for your scrutiny and possible enjoyment.

I am trying to access a USB microphone that will bypass the built-in mike but Amazon appear to be twisting my arm to join a strange secret cult called "Amazon Prime". They even said, "Congratulations! We are giving you a free trial with Prime!" when I tried to order the new mike but  I have no intention of joining any religious movements - especially when they are run by an organisation that it is striving ominously to take over the world.

13 comments:

  1. Neil, you simply must get Orford Ness and Whitby Shore before the public. Gird up your gumption/loins and apply to Britain's Got Talent or something. Make a selfie video of yourself singing the song(s) and send it to the BBC or National Trust. Try standing outside Harry and Meghan's window, they're moving t0 Frogmoor Cottage at Windsor Castle. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. You'd be doing your nation's cultural heritage a favour, maybe even be declared a National Treasure yourself. One never knows. Throw a rock in the pool and watch the ripples spread outward. I double-dog dare you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you for your kind support Bob. I think the Whitby song is pretty good but then I am biased. I may try to do more with it than just stick it on YouTube.

      Delete
  2. I wondered if you were going to put "Whitby" to music. I'm telling you, you have a second career going here! Hope the microphone thing works out -- if it's any consolation we're Amazon Prime members and have actually found it quite useful for streaming video. (I still try to use local shops for buying stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always tell Prime subscribers when they are walking around. They're like zombies.

      Delete
  3. Yes! I knew you could do it! As soon as I read "Whitby" I thought it sounded like a song. The chorus is perfect and so is the updated name "Whitby Shore". Now Bob double-dog dared you to do something with these songs and I agree with him! Consider it your duty to your country and people! And remember - it was a double-dog dare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn... about "double dog dares" as I have no idea what they are.

      Delete
  4. First, just a small correction I'm sure you'd want to fix in the second sentence - it should read adorable, not adoring.

    There, now that that's out of the way, I can compliment you on your new song. I hope to hear it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! That's a very clever "correction" but I think I will stick with "adoring" thank you very much Jenny!

      Delete
  5. I wrote a response, but it mysteriously has disappeared.

    So, with your permission...or before I receive your permission...I shall repeat what I wrote...and this time hit "Publish". I take full responsibility for my previous response's errant behaviour!

    You of such a suspicious mind, Yorkie, would make Elvis envious. Amazon Prime is a streaming service similar to Netflix, Stan, Foxtel Now etc., etc.

    You will soon be known as the new Ed Sheeran...just remember to put your teeth in before beginning to sing. That should help with your "shibilansh" problems! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon Prime isn't just about streaming Lee. It is a greedy monster that aims to get billions of people to use it as a marketplace.

      Delete
  6. You're on a roll here with poems and songs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to hearing the Whitby song!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you have found another outlet for expression besides your interesting blog... well done you. I think it is great, and look forward to hearing this new song when you have the techno issue sorted.
    I love reading about your walks and journeys (foody entries too)I don't comment always and just getting the use back of my arm after surgery but thankyou for your reply yesterday..I loved the idea of YP making his beloved a coconut brassiere :D - ooh la la indeed

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits