31 August 2022

Darnall

Verse 257 in The Saga of My Brother's Death and What Happened Afterwards, involved me travelling five miles to a suburb of this city that I do not know well.  It is called Darnall and I was there for an appointment at a branch of The Trustee Savings Bank. It was Simon's chosen bank.

I was there to shut down his current account and I was dealt with very pleasantly and professionally by a lovely young woman called Emily. Previously, I had repeatedly tried to use the bank's "simple" online process to close the account but to no avail. I had fixed today's appointment three weeks ago.

Though not entirely tied up because the bank requires a signature from my brother Robin in France, today's business went smoothly thanks to Emily.

Afterwards I thought I would have a little walk around Darnall. Once it was an entirely white working class district. Many steelworkers lived in the terraced streets but in the last fifty years it has become a magnet for Pakistani and Bangladeshi  immigrants and Muslims from a number of African countries. I don't know what the population balance is these days but I would guess the white host community is now less than 50% of the total.

Reedesque street scene in Darnall

Because I  had only had a slice of toast for breakfast, I was getting hunger pangs so I decided to treat myself in  "The Teasmaid Cafe" that was once home to "Dot's Chip Pan" takeaway. Looking up at the big menu on the wall, I  noted that for £5 you could buy either a traditional English breakfast or an intriguing  Indian breakfast. Perhaps bravely, I decided to go for the latter. Onion omelette, a melange of chick peas (channa) with keema (mince) and tomato with spices and two freshly made parathas (a kind of Indian bread). It was simply delicious and here it is:-

31 comments:

  1. My best male mate used to live on station road …..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houses and rentals will be pretty cheap in Darnall.

      Delete
  2. That breakfast looks good; I always try to go for the option that seem less likely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can find a traditional English breakfast just about anywhere, even here in America. But Indian breakfasts are much harder to find. Wise choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love that Indian breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britain has a lot of Indian cuisine because of our historical connections with the Indian subcontinent.

      Delete
  5. I'm so proud of you for choosing the Indian breakfast. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And made by the Pakistani cafe owner in a cafe that mostly serves customers with an Indian/Pakistani heritage.

      Delete
  6. That looks like a great breakfast. I bet you'll order that again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I wonder what people have for breakfast in other countries. Muesli is still my preferred choice on working days, but I like our leisurely drawn-out late breakfasts on weekends, with fresh rolls and croissants, Earl Grey tea, a glass of tomato juice and - sometimes - a glass of sparkling wine.
    The Indian breakfast looks more like what I would have for lunch/dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess that I dislike Earl Grey tea. Give me good old English builders' tea any time.

      Delete
  8. That looks healthier than a full English fry up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowt wrong with Full English once in a while JayCee.

      Delete
  9. A nice balance of protein and carbs to see you through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A day of new experiences. I found in dealing with my dad's estate now many years ago, the manager of the small local HSBC branch was extremely helpful. That branch has since closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have four banks on our section of Ecclesall Road but now there are none.

      Delete
  11. Funnily enough in an effort to please all parties for tea last night, I cooked macaroni cheese with a bean dish. Though I could not eat it for breakfast, but your Indian meal is perhaps the way vegan/vegetarianism is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must tell my son about it. They could substitute the egg with tofu.

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of the onion omelette and might try making one - makes a change from cheese, tomato, or mushroom. The ingredients sound more like lunch, but why not be adventurous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your onion omelette Carol! I think I might fry up the chopped onions before making the omelette.

      Delete
    2. Just enough to soften them is the way to go, then add a mixture of beaten eggs and grated cheese with a little dried parsley. Let the bottom set, then pull the sides to the middle and tilt the pan so the uncooked bits run to the side and just keep doing that until mostly cooked. Flip it over to set the top and serve.

      Delete
  13. Better than a warmed up last nights Doner kebab in the microwave. Yes I did know people who did just that. I liked my large breakfast and a pint of bitter at 9 in the morning in Wetherspoons when I was over there recently.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You were brave. With my dodgy stomach I would have been afraid to order. But it looks appetising.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How nice to find helpful Emily at the bank. Did you ask her if she knows anyone who wants to buy a van?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bravo for trying the Indian breakfast! It looks pretty good! I like your "Reedesque" street shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grew up in Darnall. In fact, my parents still live there.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits