22 August 2022

Skating


"The Reverend Robert Walker Skating on Duddingston Loch" 
(The Skating Minister)
by Henry Raeburn (c. 1795) 
In the possession of The Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh.

I first saw this painting when I was a university student up in Scotland. When killing time before catching trains south or up to Stirling, I would sometimes visit The National Gallery and this rather quirky  picture impressed me though I couldn't explain why.

He's like a silhouette as he moves effortlessly over the ice. He knows how to skate but he's very nonchalant about it. There's something of a tension between the staid formality of  his vocation and the  freedom of travelling smoothly over a frozen lake. He appears to cast no shadow.

There's a wild and slightly brooding fluidity about the background but Reverend Walker himself is rather  statuesque - frozen in that moment.

The picture stayed in Robert Walker's family for over a hundred and fifty years before it was brought to the attention of the public and art historians alike round about 1950.  It is now much treasured and the image features on postcards, ceramic mugs, posters, tea towels and T-shirts.  The Reverend Robert Walker  and Henry Raeburn would have both been astonished.

Duddingston Loch is a small fresh water lake in Edinburgh, close to Holyrood Park. I think the background suggests somewhere more remote than that.

20 comments:

  1. We can‘t always explain why a certain work of art speaks to us (or not), can we. I remember how, as a 13-year-old, I felt strongly attracted to a print at my uncle and aunt‘s house, of The Chocolate Girl (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chocolate_Girl). What first caught my eye was the glass of water, I remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was not familiar with "The Chocolate Girl". Thanks for directing me to it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:14 am

    His leg seems to be too far back. Maybe he is skating at high speed. Clearly I know nothing about ice skating and not much more about art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is skating in the Dutch "travelling" style. His family lived in The Netherlands for a while.

      Delete
  3. I wonder who was the person that first thought a sharp blade attached to the underside of shoes would be a good way to get across the ice? I'm thankful for whoever it was, because I love watching ice dancing on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was the Inuits of North America.

      Delete
  4. There are some strange paintings in Scottish galleries. I like "mutton Farquharson". You would have been called "bovine Theasby" if you had been around taking pictures of cows in those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have been "Changing Room Peephole Dunham".

      Delete
  5. The Reverend decided to get his skates on. He must have been in a rush. I like the painting YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a sermon to deliver so he had to get his skates on.

      Delete
  6. A friend of mine used to have that painting hanging in his bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting picture, one I have seen before - or rather a copy in a magazine. Perhaps the painting comes from a time when Ministers didn't skate - it could have been considered ungodly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe he learnt to skate in The Netherlands where traditionally it has been a widespread activity in wintertime - at least when the canals freeze!

      Delete
  8. It's almost as if the Reverend were posing against a backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I hadn't thought that before.

      Delete
  9. I think this is probably the strangest painting I've ever seen........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you have reacted to it Christina.

      Delete
  10. So he took a shortcut across the loch when it was frozen to get to his church or to visit a sick churchgoer of his? He seems so dressed up as tho he is going somewhere important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oddly I have a tie (which I wear frequently) on which he figures profusely.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits