30 August 2022

Gilroyd

Ben Bank Farm

This morning, I was disturbed from my slumbers by a telephone call from South Africa. Yes - it was "Motorway" calling once again. They had received the extra photos and they wanted to know if I wished to proceed with the sale of the van. "Yes", I said.

Ten minutes later they phoned back. Where was the van service history? I pointed out that I had dealt with this question before and had only e-mailed them on Sunday to confirm that the van has an incomplete service history. "Oh, no problem!" said the woman at the other end of the line. "You still want to go ahead with the sale?"

Ten minutes later they phoned back. Is it my name on the V5C document proving ownership? "Yes it is". Did I say that the van belonged to my deceased brother? "Yes it did". Have you got a copy of the death certificate and the will?  "There is no will and why do you want these documents anyway as I am now the official registered keeper of the vehicle?"

In this area The Trans Pennine Trail follows the course of an old railway

I was put on hold for five minutes, listening to jarring music and then they came back to me to say that the sale was off. They would not proceed. At this point I should say that in my very first contact with this organisation I had explained carefully the circumstances surrounding the van's sale.

It has been two weeks of exasperation and annoyance and now I am back to square one. I told the "Motorway" lady in Johannesburg or Cape Town or where ever it might be that the decision was absurd and they had greatly inconvenienced me these past two weeks. But no doubt my words fell on deaf ears.

It was a nice morning but by the time I got to Dodworth Green near Barnsley, the sky was clouding over.

On The Trans Pennine Trail approaching Hound Hill I met a man with a walking stick. He was smoking a cigarette and wearing a T-shirt bearing the legend "ZERO GIVEN"  and the image of a fox in the middle. Apparently it's to send a clear negative message to street beggars. He seemed quite obsessed with these people and directed a ton of anger their way. I wondered why that bad feeling wasn't targeted elsewhere - to the doors of our political leaders for example.

He was born in the same year as me. He told me he had a lot of pain in his legs because of blood flow and blood pressure problems. He had had two or three operations and he further told me that if things don't improve, he will have to have both legs amputated.

I told him that my destination was a civil war tower on Hound Hill Lane, erected by a local landowner and royalist - Richard Elmhirst. My new best friend said he had never heard of it though he lives less than a mile from the tower in nearby Gilroyd. Anyway, he walked along there with me, pausing two or three times for breath. I don't suppose I will ever see him again.

English Civil War Tower on Hound Hill near Barnsley

34 comments:

  1. For me anyway, online tractions to sell things almost always go like what you experienced. It is a huge hassle. But for something with the value of a van, I would grin and bear it. For cheaper things, I just give them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not be bothered with ebay and all that that entails.

      Delete
  2. Just take it to webuyanycar.com because they go. You probably have to legally tax and insure it to drive it there but that counts as estate expenses so you get it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That organisation are renown for giving a headline offer and then knocking it down when you take the vehicle to them.

      Delete
    2. For f's sake, surely the important thing is to get rid of it, and presumably you only inherit a third anyway, so if they knock £300 off that's only £100 of yours. They didn't knock me down by much when I took mine. You can always walk away.

      Delete
    3. For your information - none of the money raised will come to me.

      Delete
  3. What a pain in the ass. Hopefully you can get it sold without too much more hassle. That gentelman you ran into sounds like a grump. You have told him that he'd have better blood circulation to his legs if he'd stop smoking. I'm sure that would have cheered him up enormously:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He told me that the circulation issue was all about cholesterol and what he ate as a child as he puffed away on his cigarette.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:26 am

    There must be an easier way to sell a car locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not wish to tax and insure that vehicle Andrew... but I might have to.

      Delete
  5. I question how clear his message to street beggars is. His shirt could be referring to anything ... or everything :) But that's beside the point. You're right, those on the street are most often not there by choice.

    Do you have any used car dealers locally? (actual brick & mortar dealerships) They are common here, although they don't have much inventory these days. Vehicles are quite scarce here due to the chip shortage (new vehicles) and difficulty in getting parts (used vehicles). I'd think a used car dealer would jump at the chance to buy your brother's vehicle and you might get more for it than you expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have plenty of bricks and mortar car dealers who are very skilled in ripping people off. I hope to avoid that personal contact thing if possible.

      Delete
  6. Contact with some of these loners can be very interesting. They have opinions on everything and mostly negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. It is indeed interesting to meet people like him.

      Delete
  7. It's sad to meet up with someone your own age who isn't doing so well and seems older because of it. At least he is trying to get in some walking, that has to help with circulation a bit.
    Shame about the car and the runaround from the African people. I hope it sells soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realistically, I think that meeting me was probably the highlight of that fellow's day.

      Delete
  8. What a waste of time, nerves and energy! I hope you find a better way to sell the van.
    Good that you were able to counter-balance the negative effects of that absurdity with a walk. The Trans Pennine Trail is something I have been dreaming of ever since I first heard about it!
    Let me guess - you won't miss your new best friend / walking companion at all if you never see him again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sections of The Trans Pennine Trail are great but walking through overgrown railway cuttings can be a little tedious.

      Delete
  9. Hmmm...not sure whether my comment went through to moderation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that wasn't the best start to the day YP. I've only seen Motorway ads on TV and as they don't operate here, have not heard of anyone's personal experience.
    It might be the lowering skies, but Ben Bank Farm looks a depressing place - what a difference sunshine and blue skies make. They might even have cheered your miserable new best friend up, though I doubt he'd have appreciated Pixie's advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about Ben Bank Farm. It would look so different on a blue sky day.

      Delete
  11. Or you could insure it, leave it around Todmorden and get it nicked! They do like a decent land rover though.... The proving of oneself is hell in this country ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cops are not on the look out for the main perpetrator - a grandmother who is into archaeology and ancient sites.

      Delete
  12. I would tax it and insure it and sell it in Sheffield. A much bigger population and there would probably be many people who would want the van.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want that personal contact thing Dave.

      Delete
  13. If you were in the states, Mr. Moon (aka The Car Guy) could help you. He has helped a great many people with this sort of problem. Do any of your friends know a car dealer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got a couple of new routes I can take though I would prefer to drive the van into the grounds of Moon Mansion.

      Delete
  14. Why is it, do you think, that a man wearing a shirt saying 'zero fox given', would assume that anyone would give a fox about a long discussion of his health problems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he can help being a sad figure.

      Delete
  15. Well, having a cigarette is always good for blood pressure and respiration. LOL! I admire you for having the patience to have a conversation with this man. I believe I'd have told him he should fox off. (At least silently, in my mind.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the word "MUG" tattooed across my forehead. I will talk to anybody and I amn a good listener.

      Delete
  16. Poor old guy sounds pretty miserable. It was nice of you to walk with him a bit, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Civil War Tower near Barnsley caught my eye.
    I have been interested in the English Civil War since reading Christopher Hill's book The World Turned Upside Down, many years ago.
    There is a 1961 magazine article online: John Braine Yorkshire The Atlantic.
    Braine said that Barnsley in the 1950s was so bleak it caused him depression.
    The vintage photos of Barnsley online revealed some bleak streets.
    I have just finished David Storey's posthumous memoir, A Stinging Delight.
    Storey's unipolar depression never left him; his brilliant self-analysis shattered all my foundations except for love and hope.
    The Wakefield-born novelist and playwright died with his children and grandchildren around him, the sweet sound of birdsong outside the care home.
    I mean to reread all his plays and novels including Saville which won the Booker.
    His play Home was staged with Gielgud and Richardson, a masterpiece.
    Haggerty
    It

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits