22 April 2023

Collaborators

 
This is the English children's writer Julia Donaldson and German illustrator Axel Scheffler. Together they have produced several wonderful, well-written and eye-catching children's books that have also been transformed into charming short film versions.

Of course, without Little Phoebe entering our lives, I would probably have never noticed their work. It has been rare a privilege. There's an endearing innocence and quirkiness about the books they have created together
I suppose that Ms Donaldson and Herr Scheffler's first major success in this field was "The Gruffalo" concerning a mythical woodland creature with "terrible tusks, terrible claws, and terrible teeth in his terrible jaws". The audacious mouse that The Gruffalo encounters also appears in a later sequential book titled "The Gruffalo's Child". Phoebe is very fond of that one and must have watched it twenty times.


There's something quite magical about all of them including "Zog",  "Room on the Broom", "The Whale and The Snail", "The Highway Rat", "Superworm", "Tabby McTat", "The Smeds and The Smoos" and here's a section from "Stick Man"...

Some children's books, shows and franchises seem mostly about making money but I don't feel that way about Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. Much humanity, much consideration and much affection has gone into their publications and they may last the test of time because there's a timeless quality about them . "The Gruffalo" has been with us for almost a quarter of a century now. Some fourteen million copies have been sold in a hundred or more languages. Its success has been phenomenal. Julia Donaldson is one of this country's best selling authors behind only J.K.Rowling, Jamie Oliver and James Patterson.

27 comments:

  1. I remember some of those books from my time at the bookstore. They're delightful! Now that two more grandchildren are on the way, you better start building up your children's book library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have quite a few already... and you helped too!

      Delete
  2. Some of children's literature is amazingly great literature. There is nothing more I have loved in my life than reading good books to my children of all ages and now my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment Phoebe's is going through a stage when she often calls a halt to what ever we are reading. "No! No!"

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of them, but will check them out for my grandsons. I'm always on the look out for interesting reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are sure fire winners Margaret.

      Delete
  4. "Julia Donaldson is one of this country's best selling authors" and so she should be. I love her books. Axel's illustrations really bring the words to life. It these days of screens it is lovely to see kids enjoy the written word (and picture) on good old paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two of them have helped to reinforce that wonderment.

      Delete
  5. Ah yes, Gruffalo and Gruffalo's Child, well remember by me about twelve years ago.
    Speaking of money making, I really dislike going into a toy shop or a toy department where everything for sale seems to be related to Disney or Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It can be like a marketing conveyor belt.

      Delete
  6. There have been some awesome children's authors. Who could forget Dr. Seuss ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Gruffalo has become 'a classic'. Very rare these days that children's books achieve such accolades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has now been "discovered" by different generations of children.

      Delete
  8. I should probably buy it for the twins, but check first to see if they already have it from the older boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twins may be slightly too young at the moment.

      Delete
  9. Always loved children's books. A favourite of mine were 'The Church Mice' I think the power of the illustrator is to bring the stories to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Ms Donaldson and Herr Scheffler it's a good example of how the writer's work and the illustrator's work can really complement one another.

      Delete
  10. Before you know it, Neil, Phoebe will be reading books to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know my powers are waning but I can still read Ellen!

      Delete
  11. I like Quentin Blakes illustrations. You would make a good illustrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my art I have been much too lazy - just taking that talent for granted.

      Delete
  12. I had never heard of the Gruffalo until I moved to the UK, but of course I don't have kids and didn't really have much to do with kids back in the states -- so whether the Gruffalo is popular there or not, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to know just how popular the books are in America but they are definitely sold there.

      Delete
  13. One of the things that Tom (Grandson) and I cherish is the times we spent in the childrens library. choosing the books, having a little read in the Library and then bringing them home. There are lots of titles that we still remember.
    Little Black Sambo was one he loved but I guess will not be reading to his children. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another German-English collaboration comes to mind, only that in that case, the German woman provided the words and the English man the illustration. The book was never sold, and only three copies exist in the whole world.

    When my Mum used to read to kindergarden children once a week, The Gruffalo always was a huge hit with all the kids. I don't know how many of the other books you mention here my Mum knew or read to the children, but she certainly talked about The Gruffalo often when she told us about her week's couple of hours at the kindergarden.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits