5 June 2024

Advice

An echo from 1969, I heard this song on the radio last weekend and I thought to myself - yes, that is a great chorus. It's urging people to be themselves, live in a manner that feels right for them - no matter what anyone else might say or think. It celebrates independence and individualism.

Cass Elliot
Make Your Own Kind of Music
Written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil
Sung by Cass Elliot

[Verse 1]
Nobody can tell ya
There's only one song worth singing
They may try and sell ya
'Cause it hangs them up
To see someone like you

[Chorus]

But you've gotta make your own kind of music
Sing your own special song
Make your own kind of music
Even if nobody else sings along...

Researching Cass Elliot's life I note that she died from a heart attack in 1974 in a flat (apartment) in London  when she was thirty two years old. The flat was owned by Harry Nilsson. Four years later, The Who's eccentric drummer - Keith Moon died in the very same flat - also aged thirty two. I guess that they each made their own kind of music though it didn't last too long.

15 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Cass and Keith died in the same flat, albeit at separate times. That's weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mamas and the Papas were a great group. They had so many wonderful songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make your own music is a wonderful message but I find it can be a lonely life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make your own music is a wonderful message but I find it can be a lonely life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liked listening to Cass Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite song!!! It's on every one of my playlists so I hear it at least once every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been making my own music for a very long time, but I also enjoy a duet or even a small orchestra, when the other musicians are people I love, such as my family.
    Cass Elliot didn't have the happiest of lives. From all I know about her, she was struggling on many fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a weird coincidence both dying in the same flat. I suppose drugs might have been one of the reasons which made the flat unlucky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Mama Cass. Way too young. I didn't really know of her which she died but I remember the public grief. She was a great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all wanted to be like everyone else. I think you have to find your own role models, i.e. people who are good at what you want to be good at. Mine were Chris Bonington so I grew a beard, Jacob Bronowski because I wanted to be a polymath so went late to university, and Lytton Strachey because I wanted to be an independent thinker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A voice of our youth, with a message that shaped a lot of lives. Be true to thine own self.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea Cass Elliott and Keith Moon died in the same apartment! The New York Times had a very good article about her legacy not long ago:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/09/arts/music/cass-elliot-mamas-and-the-papas-death.html?unlocked_article_code=1.xk0.BBwS.WFhs6S2RUrC7&smid=url-share

    This song always reminds me of the movie "Beautiful Thing," because it featured prominently on the soundtrack. (Along with several other Cass Elliott songs.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. She was a force of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep thinking it sounds like a nineteen sixties Petula Clarke song?🤔

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that song. Thanks for posting it as I am going to add it to my current playlist!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits