11 October 2024

Exercising

Another lovely autumn day. There was a light frost last night but I didn't see this morning's evidence on the car windscreens as I was lying abed listening to the BBC Radio 4 morning news show - "Today". I stumbled downstairs at 9am for my customary pint of tea and a bowl of breakfast cereal.

Two hours later I showered, got dressed and was ready to roll out for a long walk. I didn't want to drive far so I headed for the Rails Road public car park in the Rivelin Valley. I have been there to start walks several times before and, just for example, previously blogged about one of them here.


Above - images from my walk by The River Rivelin. As you can see, sunshine made it all rather magical. I walked for two and a half hours. After the Rivelin Valley Road Bridge, I veered up the valley side to Hagg Lane and just before I reached its very end I saw this young woman approaching with her two horses.

I asked if I could take her picture and she kindly obliged. It's likely that she loves her two horses more than anything. She was taking them back to their stable.


Then it was back down to the river, tumbling as nearly all rivers do towards the sea. This time I was walking south of the Rivelin and not north as I had done on my way out. Soon I was back at Clint ready for the fifteen minute drive home. The top picture shows a sign I spotted on the car park noticeboard.

I was very glad that I had chosen to venture out today  and pleased that the plantar fasciitis did not interfere with my pleasure. Since I admitted to myself that that is the problem, I have occasionally  performed recommended exercises - including rolling a ball under my left foot for several minutes at a time. It appears to be working.

8 comments:

  1. Again, a nice walkabout with lovely photos to prove it. Glad your foot isn't bothering you, as much as you enjoy your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plantar fasciitis can be miserable but it can easily be treated. Stick with the stretching

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the river, tumbling as nearly all rivers do towards the sea."

    I laughed at that.

    First, because I can feel a poem coming on. (From you, not me.)

    Secondly, because I detect in "as nearly all rivers do" years of teacherly experience of dealing with or preempting exceptions offered from the snarky zones of the bored and restless - year 9 probably the peak of that. "But Sir, what about Lake [Baikal, Eyre, insert other below-sea-level lake of your choice]? What about the Dead Sea? Is the Dead Sea even a sea?"

    Maybe that's just me projecting from my much briefer time (3 years) as a classroom teacher.

    And it's not as if I was never on the other side of this. As my year 9 and 10 maths teacher said in a school report (God I was bored in those classes and it was not because I was bad at the subject): "[Marcellous's] tendency to be disputatious as a matter of course is of little assistance to himself or his fellow students." I am sure that the reported tendency was hardly news to my parents.

    Anyway, good to hear that the PF, now acknowledged, is responding to the regimen you have adopted and look forward to the return of more out-and-about-walking posts. Happy birthday for the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you were going to follow the directions on that sign and find the apple shop to buy apple tarts for high tea at home. The pictures are very lovely. I'm glad the foot exercises are helping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The horses aren't big enough to be Clydesdales but the have the Clydesdale feet.
    The last photo is very lush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved this walk of yours, especially the two tubby ponies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful walk you had, and the perfect day for it! Thank you for taking us along. Doesn't everything feel so much better after a good, substantial walk?
    I envy you right now, since I have not been able to do anything more than an hour's worth of (slow) walking, still nursing my cold and the nasty cough having me firmly in its grip.
    It must be such a relief to find the exercises for your foot working. No need to tell you that they will be more effective if instead of occasionally, you do them regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was definitely a day for photos..and walking.
    Rolling a golf ball underfoot has always worked for my plantar fasciitis in the past. Glad that it seems to be working for you too.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits