24 October 2024

Meds

 

Arguably, this is the end of my youth. I always hoped that my life would never need to be sustained by medication and that I would live drug-free to the end of my days. But at the grand old age of 71, reality has finally caught up with me.

Ten days ago I knew virtually nothing about blood pressure or indeed cholesterol but following a rather accidental, unplanned health check all that has changed. Yesterday, I agreed to be put on low doses of both "Amlodipine" for my blood pressure and "Atorvastatin" to address mild cholesterol concerns - preventative really.
I know that if was inclined to find out more about The Green Bay Packers or The Irish Potato Famine then Google would open up  vast granaries of knowledge. And it's the same with antihypertensive  medications and statins. There are YouTube videos, learned papers, lists of side effects, comparison debates, reviews etc.. Before you know it a whole world of previously unrealised knowledge has appeared in front of your eyes.

This is just the start. I will have to check my blood pressure regularly, attend more doctor's appointments and so on. It's possible that my medications may need to change - dosages upped or brands replaced. I will also need to watch out for side effects such as swollen feet.

It's a little depressing to admit to myself that these medications will now be part of my life till the day I die but of course the up-side is that I will probably live longer than I would have done without them.

Finally, why do these drugs have to have such unmemorable and unpalatable scientific names? I would much prefer it if "Atorvastatin" was called "Misty Forest Path" and "Amlodipine" was called "Ramalamadingdong". Yes - that would be much better.

9 comments:

  1. I like your names for them! To reach 71 without taking any meds is a feat worth celebrating. You beat me by nearly 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times you shouldn't research things on the internet. I hope they get it right for you the first time. My husband has struggled to find the right one.
    I also was incredibly healthy until diagnosed with an autoimmune disease about 5 years ago. I wish my daily medication had a fun name, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was hard for Gregg to accept taking medicine for high blood pressure, too. He was late 50s. His brother (an otherwise very healthy guy) has had to take meds for bp since his 20s and told him he didn't have room to complain.

    Uncontrolled high blood pressure is deadly, so I'm glad you're addressing it. Do it for your family if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlos takes Misty Forest Path and it helps! But neither of us is on Ramalamadingdong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take both of those, plus a bunch more. I think they add one more pill each year after 70.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Margaret said, making it into your 70s without being on regular medication is exceptionally good. And as you say, you will probably live longer than you would have done without them.
    But I know what you mean - for me, regular check-ups for my eyes and daily drops have been part of my life for some years now, and because I already have those four appointments a year firmly in my diary, I am absolutely not motivated to add any more hours spent in waiting rooms if I can avoid it. But it is my eyesight that's at stake here, and it matters enough to me that I take my drops and my appointments seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swollen ankles as a side effect indicates there must be a fluid reduction component to your blood pressure medication. I never had that symptom nor the possible extra urine output.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been fortunate to have reached the age of 71 with a fit and healthy life before needing a little chemical assistance to keep you going.
    I suppose it comes as a shock to suddenly be presented with the realisation that your body may be slowing down (I know it did for me) but I hope you have many more years to enjoy with your family.

    ReplyDelete

  9. i take the Amlodipine, can never say the wretched word at the chemist. Just watch when you take it would be my advice, when I started taking it early in the morning I became rather dizzy (low BP) so I take it with my coffee now at a later hour. As for cholesterol, tame your diet;)

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits