15 December 2014

49

On "geograph", the British Isles photographic mapping site, over 5000 new pictures were received in Week 49. A selector called Hayley then picked fifty of those pictures for the weekly photo competition shortlist. Then the previous week's winner deliberated over the fifty entries before picking the week's winner.

I was surprised to discover that I had four photos in the shortlist-
And yesterday I wasn't just surprised but delighted to discover that one of my pictures had been selected as the winning photo of the week. And it was this one:-
I took the picture on Hornsea beach the week before last. Several fishermen were fishing from the beach but this fellow was resting by one of the wooden groynes that attempt to delay the constant southwards drift of the sand and shingle beach. As you can see, he was well wrapped up to cope with the bitter North Sea wind. He glanced my way when he saw me lining up my camera but didn't appear to mind too much.It's an okay picture I guess but in my view it cannot hold a candle to one I took later that same day and this one wasn't even shortlisted:-

17 comments:

  1. Just shows what a la of numpties vote. The first is a snap without the subject looking at camera. The second is almost perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The second is almost perfect" - thank you Adrian. I am glad it wasn't just me who felt that way.

      Delete
  2. I rather like the cloudy one at the top.
    Is that Ferrybridge in the bottom one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Ferrybridge Madge but Drax Power Station.

      Delete
  3. If I were to choose from ALL of your pictures, that would be very hard, because they usually are all great in my eyes. Of this selection, I like the last one very much, but I think my favourite one here is the one with the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rock picture was taken halfway along Stanage Edge - a ten minute drive from our house. The light was lovely that morning.

      Delete
  4. Subjective tests/contests/judging.........bah, humbug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound a little grumpy today Mama Thyme. Must be cold on your mountain.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations. I like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the old fisherman. The others are stunning, but don't have the same emotional appeal as an old fisherman. Gets your mind to wondering who he is, his life on the sea etc. Congrats to you on so many well-done photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilly. I guess that the judges - a husband and wife duo called Karl and Ali - saw something special in that photo that you have also spotted. Sometimes it takes a third party to see what we cannot see with our own eyes.

      Delete
  7. I agree with the winning photo choice; the fisherman fits perfectly into his surrounds. Second for me - the landscape with rocks. Best photos - like beauty - are in the eye of the beholder.

    Does this mean you get to judge the competition next week?

    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ms Mushroom Soup - I will have that honour. Thanks for your feedback..

      Delete
  8. You Braguing again YP ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Yorky! That's great and well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interestingly I joined Geograph about four years ago but have never submitted a photo. I must start doing so. For me the Drax photo and the two from Stanage Edge best fit the Geograph objective and I'd be hard pressed to choose between the one with the rock on the foreground and the Drax one. Both have their virtues in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits