23 December 2014

Joe


"I think I have become a mountain man" 
Joe Cocker (Summer 2014)

This morning on Radio 4's "Today" programme there was brief interview with Joe Cocker's older brother Vic. They grew up in a humble terraced house in the Crookes area of Sheffield - very near the house that Shirley and I bought in 1981.

Vic Cocker
Remarkably, Vic Cocker also made a significant mark in the world, rising through the ranks of the water industry to become Chief Executive of The Sever Trent Water Authority. This water board is responsible for water and sewage services for around five million people across a large swathe of central England. Later, Vic also held other significant lead positions within the recycling industry.

And all the time Joe was living the life of a rock legend. The gigs, the drugs, the booze, the women, the interviews, finally settling to a more peaceful life near Crawford, Colorado with his American wife Pam Baker. Joe once said of her, "It was Pam who helped me get myself back together, She made me think positively. I was very down on myself. She made me realise people still wanted to hear me sing, and convinced me I could escape the downward spiral."

On this morning's "Today" programme Vic confirmed that Joe had found "contentment" in the last twenty years. Vic also said that he was Joe's biggest fan and just this last summer Joe told him, "I think I have become a mountain man".

Rest in peace Joe Cocker - he of the flailing hands - a mountain man who sang to the stars and was one of Sheffield's favourite sons  (20 May 1944 – 22 December 2014)

11 comments:

  1. A worthy tribute to a legend. He had a good innings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he did,. Bowled out at seventy by a seamer called Lung Cancer.

      Delete
  2. Until I heard it on the main news on telly last night, I'd had no idea that he was from Sheffield. His music never was quite my style (too rocky-bluesy, not funky enough for my taste), but I acknowledge his uniqueness and contribution to the music scene of our time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are far too young to have grown up with artistes like Joe! But if I am truthful Miss Arian, his kind of music would not have been at the top of my playlist either.

      Delete
  3. I must be so attuned to this humble blog YP ~ I knew yesterday that you would blog about Joe today ~ but nice to include his brother's reflections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can read me like a book Carol! I didn't realise I was so damned predictable.

      Delete
  4. I have always wished that Joe would have written some of his own music. I found it very strange that he never even tried. He covered other people's so much and so well that many times his version would do better than those who wrote the music and lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the "Joe Cocker" album of 1969 Joe wrote the lyrics to six of the songs but i know what you mean - he was more of an interpreter than a creator.

      Delete
  5. There was only one Joe...unique...and wonderful.

    I heard somewhere or read somewhere, only a couple or so years ago that he was right into gardening...that he loved it.

    He was great...a part of my generation. Thanks for the music, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently he developed a passion for growing tomatoes Lee.

      Delete
  6. Like Carol I have come to expect certain things from you but you always tell me something I don't know. JC's choice of music isn't really mine but, as with most music, I enjoyed some of his later concerts - or parts of them anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits