10 November 2015

Captured

On summery July 15th, I was walking near Ringinglow, along  little used Bassett Lane when a strange vehicle came into view. It was a Google Streetview car. As I happened to have my trusty camera in hand, I took this photograph of it:-
The driver could hardly stop to complain as Streetview has gathered mountains of imagery without seeking permission to do so. I blogged about that little ramble here.

I imagined that in the weeks that followed, Google would update their imagery for little Bassett Lane and that the world would suddenly see a muscular Brad Pitt lookalike standing on the verge with camera pointed. However, that update has not happened. Perhaps they lost the film. Perhaps the editors saw me and immediately censored the car's footage fearing that it might frighten small children.

After curling past Bassett Farm, Bassett Lane meets Andwell Lane near Green House Farm and just yesterday I discovered that Google Streetview did indeed update some of the imagery that was gathered that sunny morning. Andy Warhol said that everyone would enjoy  fifteen minutes of fame, so drum roll please, snipped from Google Streetview, this is my moment:-
Caught in the act of taking a picture of nearby Bassett Cottages with Bassett Farm's buildings clustered amidst those trees. I guess that that is what I have become - a tiny little man, moving over the landscape like an ant but now surely an ant with credibility thanks to Google Streetview. Fame at last!

21 comments:

  1. Brilliant. They are very smart things are Google Street View cars. I've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably have an alarm system with an Adrian warning light.

      Delete
  2. I've marched long Bassett Lane several times and you are nowhere to be seen. With my sense of direction I am probably in the wrong Bassett Lane - in the wrong county or maybe even the wrong country!!
    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be at the junction of Andwell Lane and Bassett Lane - three quarters of mile north of Ringinglow Alphie. The county is Yorkshire and the country is England. The continent is Europe and the planet is Earth.

      Delete
  3. All I can see is some balding blokefacing away from me. The shape is more like William Pitt than Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we discussed back in July that you were caught in the act of doing something else. The evidence you have produced supports that if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you gotta go you gotta go Carol!

      Delete
  5. What a great story! Google needs a better camera as this is very fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to zoom in Red - otherwise I really would have been the size of an ant.

      Delete
  6. My God! You're famous!!! Can I pleeeeeeeeeeeeze have your autograph.....pleeeeeeeze, pretty please? Please? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lee - you may have my autograph. Send $50 (AUS) to my admin department at YP Enterprises and a photocopy of my signature will be with you before the month is over.

      Delete
    2. Damn! I thought you'd do it in person!!! Shedding tears here!!!

      Delete
  7. I think Google owes you some money for using your image like that! :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's cool !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please feel free to tell friends and family Helen.

      Delete
  9. You are (so far) the only person I know who is recognizably visible on Google street view! I am impressed :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impressed? That is good and the kind of reaction I was of course anticipating!

      Delete
    2. Depends on your definition of recognizably, I'd say....

      Delete
    3. Envy is one of humankind's least attractive traits Bob!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits