25 March 2023

Cáit

Of course I often think of my oldest brother Paul who departed this life in June 2010. He went to bed and never woke up.

Paul knew his little granddaughter Cáit. She was born on March 26th 2008 - the only child of my niece Katie and her former husband Seamus. Cáit will be fifteen  tomorrow. I haven't seen her in years but today I sent three pictures of her to my niece. I took them in 2008, 2010 and 2011 respectively. She was a sweet little thing but now she is on the doorstep of adulthood. These were the pictures I sent:-
In the middle picture she is in the arms of her Uncle Kevin - Paul's second son who himself became a father in January of this year. I blogged about that happy event here. And just to remind you here's Kevin with Finn:-
Finn  is Paul's only grandson and though Paul will never hold him, a part of my brother will carry on  in the lives of both Finn and Cáit. It's an old story repeated through history. Some enter the stage as others exit.

19 comments:

  1. Telling our children about their departed elders and bringing them to life with love and laughter is how we live on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said that well elderly, apple shaped, frumpy woman.

      Delete
  2. That's part of the joy of having grandchildren--having our family and our history continue when we oldsters leave this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More drink. I like that. Uncle Kevin looks rather nice in the photo of him holding Cait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More Drink!.... Katie was an extra in the comedy show "Father Ted" that was partly filmed in that area.

      Delete
  4. I am sure your pictures were received with joy and gratitude, and maybe a bit of nostalgia for times that will never return. But at 15, nostalgia should not feature greatly; life should more be about hope, optimism, plans and dreams of the future as childhood ends and adulthood is not yet reached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In western Ireland, it is hard to escape from nostalgia. It is part of the landscape but I take your point about the optimism of youth.

      Delete
  5. It is very sad to lose a father and grandfather so young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cait has the right idea with that sign!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Life goes on..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ultimately, this is our purpose. To make more of ourselves. I mean, biologically.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you are here to represent Paul's generation in the life of these grandchildren. (Even if you don't get to see them often.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My children have always loved the stories I tell them about my late brother and the crazy things he got up to as a child. Because they never met him he has become something of a legend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The circle of life. Super photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grand kids are awesome as you know with Phoebe. We learn so much from them if we only watch and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have stories to pass on, my siblings and I grew up separated, I don't know a lot of what they did during those years. I could tell the twins about my own life if they ever ask but there aren't any exciting adventures in that story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. Lovely photos of Cait.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits