13 March 2023

Trash

I have always liked a good film - a film that tells a good story perhaps or a film in which you lose yourself - enchanted by the cinematic artefact that a team  of our fellow human beings have lovingly pulled together for us - creating a kind of on-screen magic. 

Last night at The Oscars in Hollywood,a film called "Everything Everywhere All at Once" won  several of the awards including "Best Picture". Knowing nothing about this film I thought I would give it a whirl this afternoon courtesy of Amazon Prime. 

I wanted to be enthralled and to appreciate why it had won so many plaudits. I settled down with a mug of tea and a cold pork sandwich hoping to be transported in the next two hours. However, it wasn't long before boredom began to set in and after an hour I dozed off for ten minutes. That did not make a ha'p'orth of difference and I didn't even bother with a rewind to catch up. The film was still churning along, failing to touch me in the slightest.

In cooking you get dishes called a bouillabaisse and a melange. They are similar in the sense that you throw just about everything into the pot and stir. To me, that is what  "Everything Everywhere All at Once" is like - a bouillabaisse of random imagery and sound in which time is elastic. It's all over the place and though you are sometimes at the Chinese laundry or the tax office, mostly you don't know where the hell you are. 

In the background to the action, sometimes leaking into everyday reality is a popular construction known as "the multiverse" - "a hypothetical space or realm consisting of a number of universes, of which our own universe is only one". I understand that this concept has been present in various action hero films that I of course avoid watching at all costs.

I did not care a jot about the characters in  "Everything Everywhere All at Once". "Best Actress" Michelle Yeoh played Evelyn Quan Wang, a dissatisfied and overwhelmed laundromat owner; and as several other versions of Evelyn in alternate universes. She was central to it all and within the constraints of the project she probably played her part quite well.

It was a kaleidoscope of imagery but what the hell was it all about? It did not seem to relate naturally to the world as I see it. I found it to be superficial, silly and frankly a load of trash complete with plenty of king fu style fighting.. I was relieved when the final credits came up but that was over two hours of my life that I will never get back. Needless to say I would not recommend this film to anybody apart from teenagers who are obsessed with superheroes and enjoy continuous action. Yes- as we say in England - not my cup of tea at all.

★★☆☆☆

33 comments:

  1. That's disappointing to hear since I love the title. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea or coffee (in my case).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that I was blind to hidden merits. They just weren't there.

      Delete
  2. Like watching paint dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched it and I don't feel compelled to but will probably give a whirl at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only gave it a whirl because it had won "Best Picture".

      Delete
  4. Another one I shall not miss then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not seen it and, having read your review, will not see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise I could be influential.

      Delete
  6. I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I thought it was very innovative, and I thought the characters were quite compelling and human even amid all the fun and madness of the special effects. I kept turning to Dave and saying, "This movie is like NOTHING I've ever seen before!" It's different, that's for sure, but it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say, I came to it with an open mind but it didn't press my buttons. Good job we are not all the same.

      Delete
  7. I think I will give this a miss on your review. I know Steve enjoyed it but he is a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I prefer films that tell a good story or those I can get lost in. Even better when a film combines those two. I don't like the sound of Everything Everywhere All At Once and will never watch it. There are other films that I have seen on recommendation and sat through them wondering just what is the main story here and can't they cut 90% of the unnecessary detail? I never watch the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually like depth and I found this film to be shallow.

      Delete
  9. I saw it almost a year ago now. I reckon a lot of the support for the film is a kind of restitution for "Asian Americans" otherwise overlooked in popular and film culture. I enjoyed it mostly though as the film went on the relentless novelty began to wear thin and martial arts are not really my cup of tea. They are a genre, but if you are not into it as I am not you probably can't get half the references and context so that in the end the kung fu stuff for me was a bit boring. My (Chinese born) companion had less time for it than I as he has a pretty fixed view that kungfu movies are not for adults and I suspect he views them as just a step along from fortune cookies as chinoiserie for westerners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting reflections and I suspect you are very right about "restitution" with this particular Oscar winner.

      Delete
    2. YP, I was struggling to find the right word. Maybe "reparation" a better choice.

      Delete
  10. Actually, very few Oscar-winning films have ever done for me what I expect of a good film. Same as many books on bestseller lists have never interested me. I freely admit to really enjoying several films or books that have a huge "fan base", such as the Harry Potter ones, or Star Trek when I was younger, but for a lot of stuff out there I simply do not care.
    Thank you for your review - I don't think I would have watched the film without your review, but now I am certain I won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I know almost nothing about Harry Potter.

      Delete
  11. A friend of mine recommnded it but I haven't seen it yet. I suspect you and I have similar taste in movies so I'm hesitant to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like teenage kung fu films you might enjoy it.

      Delete
  12. I am not a film goer sadly so can't comment. But the Hugh Grant interview was funny, think he is going deaf or thought the whole Oscar show a complete bore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would appreciate a Huge Grant for a new roof!

      Delete
  13. I think I shall be avoiding this film, on the basis of your critique. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like the Barry Norman of Blogland.

      Delete
  14. I actually started it once and quit. It just didn't seem like my cup of tea either. But then Steve blogged about it and I decided to try it a second time. The second time I really enjoyed it. I guess it is just one of those films where I have to be in a certain frame of mind to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never enjoy a film like that no matter what mood I happened to be in.

      Delete
  15. It is good to remember that there is a difference between "trash" and "not my cup of tea"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ironic dissonance was deliberate.

      Delete
  16. Initially, I took a miss on it. It just looked strange. But then I read a review. It is about a woman who is looking at her life and feeling as though she has wasted her life, like a failure, like a nobody. She begins to ponder the different paths her life could have taken, how differently life could have turned out. What if? All of this resonated strongly with my own nature at this time in my life. I was thinking to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I detected that theme but in my view its treatment felt like a small child splashing paint upon an easel in a nursery school. There was no subtlety or depth to it - just a barrage of crazy imagery including a big black bagel and two rounded stones on the edge of a sandstone canyon. Why?

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits