9 March 2023

Outside

Sheffield tonight from the BBC website - picture by "Emily"

Outside the snow is around eight inches deep. Weather systems conspired to dump a whole heap of the white stuff on this region in the past twenty four hours. 

We thought ahead and got Phoebe over here as soon as we came back from York. We look after her every Thursday and Friday so having her here on Wednesday night meant that Shirley would not have to skid around in snow this morning in order to pick her up.

Phoebe has been out on a sledge in the garden - laughing about it but none too pleased when she fell off into the soft but "crunchy" blanket of snow. This is the first time in her life that she has ridden on a sledge and it's also the first time she has thrown a snowball. I should have built her a snowman but I was too lazy to do that and preferred to stay snug and warm inside our house - apart from the short sledging session this afternoon..

Maybe I will build a snowman in the morning -  even though we have no coal for the eyes. I recall that the worst thing about building a snowman is getting cold hands. We have some spare carrots.

I am pleased that I went to our Lidl supermarket at around nine o'clock yesterday night - even though the snow was already beginning to fall. I managed to stock up on groceries to a degree whereby we can easily survive extended snow problems till next week. Besides we have a little Sainsburys store and a Co-op shop within easy walking distance of this house.

For us, the winter of 2022/2023 has been very mild and mostly green but there's always a chance of late snowfalls even into April. It is not especially cold out there. My electronic thermometer with an outside sensor tells me it is exactly 0℃ right now as midnight approaches.

36 comments:

  1. March has come in like a lion and may go out like a baa-ing lamb.
    Everyone is talking about UFOs again, even The New York Times, begob.
    Phoebe will be back on her toboggan tomorrow. April is on her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is April your cleaner? She must have a resilient constitution.

      Delete
  2. 0 C is a very mild temperature but 8 in of snow is not very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the quietness that heavy snow brings.

      Delete
    2. If you want something really quiet try a snow house. this one's serious as I was in snow houses.

      Delete
  3. I do love a good snowfall! we haven't had one around here is a number of years, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing would be finer than to be in Carolina
      In the snowtime...

      Delete
  4. Late snowfalls even into April? Brrr. I'm shivering just thinking about it and outside here is a sunny and warm 26C. Wear some thick weatherproof gloves to make your snowman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took your advice River. It made all the difference.

      Delete
  5. So much snow!! None of it has made it to my part of the globe (yet); it was mild but very windy yesterday, with rain during the night and more of it forecast for the weekend.
    Phoebe's first sleigh ride! I loved that as a kid, but can remember only rare occasions when we actually built a snowman. And throwing snowballs was never something I enjoyed; kids with glasses often shy away from such games.
    What will you use for the snowman's eyes instead of coal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used small potatoes but it was a last minute flash of inspiration.

      Delete
  6. You seem to have everything nicely planned in the event of a snow-in.
    One year I'm sure we had snow in June, followed by a prolonged heatwave. I think it was sometime in the 1970's - cricket matches had to be abandoned due to the snow on the pitch! Haggerty will know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor Haggerty knows pretty much everything. Who needs Wikipedia?

      Delete
  7. Our snow was late arriving over here and seems to have disappeared already this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shows that prayers really work!

      Delete
  8. We have got horizontal sleet here this morning in Herts, but no snow on the ground, thank goodness! ( It makes dog walking difficult, especially as my boy's fur is the type that collects wet snow into huge " snowballs" around his feet and legs and he doesn't want to move).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowballs around the feet. I know the feeling Frances.

      Delete
  9. Very remiss of you not to build a snowman for Phoebe. Get out there NOW!!🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wish was my command as you will see in the next blogpost!

      Delete
  10. There's no business like snow business. It's that one time of year when everyones garden looks the same, No snow here luckily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course there's no snow on the Irish Riviera! It's sub-tropical. Have you got any mangoes for sale?

      Delete
  11. Yeap the snow blanket came here too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are walking in a winter wonderland...

      Delete
  12. I assume a carrot will be for the snowman nose and not elsewhere???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a pink ice lolly for the snowman's penis.

      Delete
  13. I made a snowman after a big snowstorm last week. I had no sincere admirers from within my household so I was forced to take a picture and send it to a few friends for my accolades. They 'seemed' slightly more impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must try harder Melinda! How about a snow moose instead?

      Delete
  14. You got much more snow than we did -- just flurries here and nothing stuck. As for the snowman, don't let the lack of coal stop you. You can use 2p coins for eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eight inches of snow! Wow! We're supposed to get some colder weather next week, but I sure hope no snow, ice, or frost is involved. Things are far too far along (blooming and sprouting) for that to be anything but a disaster at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen some blossom before this snow. Now it will be ruined and not fertilised by insects.

      Delete
  16. I hope it melts off soon,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now 2.45 in the afternoon and already I have had to repair our snowman.

      Delete
  17. That looks very, very cold! I can just see that little girl with her snow roses in her cheeks, having a good time with her grandfather, learning about what winter means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter means bloody cold hands if they are in contact with the snow for too long!

      Delete
  18. I hope you got some good video of Phoebe in the snow to share with your family. Sounds like a sweet, happy memory! Stay safe and warm, Neil!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits