13 February 2011

Lotusman

Above,. the giant urn in my shower room. In especially warm weather you ladle cold water over yourself. Below - images of The Lotus Room - my new home at The Serene.
In Buddhism, the lotus is an especially symbolic plant....

"The roots of a lotus are in the mud, the stem grows up through the water, and the heavily scented flower lies pristinely above the water, basking in the sunlight. This pattern of growth signifies the progress of the soul from the primeval mud of materialism, through the waters of experience, and into the bright sunshine of enlightenment.

Though there are other water plants that bloom above the water, it is only the lotus which, owing to the strength of its stem, regularly rises eight to twelve inches above the surface.

According to the Lalitavistara, "the spirit of the best of men is spotless, like the lotus in the muddy water which does not adhere to it."

4 comments:

  1. Are these your temporary quarters or have you already settled in to the little B&B?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely little place. Make sure you keep it tidy, now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. RHYMES - I looked at a dozen apartments or studios and decided I am happy in the little B&B so I just switched rooms. It's a fifteen minute walk from the school.. I don't need more really - though I won't be cooking now.
    DAPHNE Oh mom! I'm doing my homework, do I have to tidy my room?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hummm are you sure You are not staying at Mrs Woo's knocking shop?

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits