19 January 2014

Bradfield

Bradfield swordsmen preparing to defend the besieged apostrophe.
The last post seems to have stirred some senior bloggers from their slumbers. I mean, who cares about the economy, Romanian immigrants, bankers' bonuses or winter floods? What really matters is the future of the apostrophe. Like an endangered creature, this tadpole-shaped punctuation mark will need to be nurtured and protected if it is to survive. We lost the dodo, the passenger pigeon and the Tasmanian tiger - let us not lose the apostrophe too.

My blood pressure had been raised to a dangerously high  level by yesterday's vehement apostrophe debate so Shirley (my nurse) and I drove out to the parish of Bradfield this afternoon to take a soothing country walk round Agden Reservoir. I relaxed in my Victorian bath chair as she pushed me. Rather too bumpy for reading "The Observer" and there was, in any case, too much huffing and puffing

Later, after watching sword fighters practising their skills on the cricket ground in  Low Bradfield, we drove out of the village via Mill Lee Road which leads onto Hoar Stones Road. That's where I pulled up to take this rather nice picture of High Bradfield... 
If you imagine that the field to the right contains a flock of grazing apostrophes, you are wrong. They are sheep.

17 comments:

  1. Very clever Yorky, very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I thought they were alpacas.

    What is that white construction in front of the beautiful village that sticks out like Tipp-Ex on an illuminated manuscript?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the Tom Gowans Memorial Hall. Used by the Bradfield Brownies as a storage facility.

      Delete
  3. I daresay all the huffing and puffing was coming from Shirley, as my guess is you ain't no bloomin' bag o' feathers.

    The three apostrophes in the preceding sentence were used correctly and are being donated to posterity in your name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thou hast guessed correctly oh Chief of the Cherokee! I thank you for the apostrophe donation. If I collect enough, I shall make some jam.

      Delete
  4. I never thought the sheep were apostrophes. Everyone knows that apostrophes are black, and while black sheep certainly do exist, the white apostrophe is a mythical creature whose existence is as doubtable as that of the Yeti.
    The brave swordsmen of Bradfield were hopefully not distracted too much from their training by the sight of your Victorian bath chair, pushed along by a huffing and puffing nurse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an incisive brain madam! I fear you see through my ruses!

      Delete
  5. That first photo is so exciting..I think ill wet myself x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full excitement could only be achieved through hearing the metallic clashing of the swords and the bestial grunting of the swordsmen. It was like being in a new film version of "Ivanhoe".

      Delete
  6. Lovely photo of Bradfield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why go to Italy when you could visit Yorkshire instead? Then you could take your own photos of Bradfield and its daring swordsmen instead of badly constructed bell-towers, a permanently flooded city and a bunch of pizza joints.

      Delete
  7. I'll borrow one from your collection.
    A wonderful image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Honoured Lord of the Kodachrome and Master of the Single Reflex.

      Delete
  8. I see the Queen's Own Apostrophe Regiment (or The Old Dicriticals as they are affectionately known) are preparing for the invasion of Cambridge. That's one thing we can agree on when it comes to apostrophes - they don't like it up 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! You tickled me pink Mr P! You are the new Bernard Manning!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits