9 May 2023

Attic

Investigating an attic might be likened to a physical confrontation with the jumbled evidence of one's past. Something of a psychological unveiling even though you might not really know what it all means.

It was thirty years ago when I first crawled up into our roof space and planned to  board half of it. I left the other half because of the practical  difficulties caused by electrical wires, pipes and suchlike. I also installed an aluminium  loft ladder.

Soon after this we began to put stuff up through the hatch. There were suitcases, children's cuddly toys, glove puppets, a cot for dolls, two guitars, a violin, boxes containing what our children had brought home from school - papers, paintings, exercise books, projects. There was a canvas windbreaker, a tent, two lamps, boxes containing old greetings cards noting birthdays and Christmases, overspill books that we didn't have room for in the rest of the house, Christmas decorations, an artificial Christmas tree, rolls of carpet, football boots, in-line skates, a box of sea shells, papers and books from my own schooldays. 

Some of it remains up there but we brought two thirds of the stuff down. This evening I visited a recycling zone in a corner of a vast Sainsburys supermarket car park. There I slotted parts of my family's  life into the paper and cardboard skips - never to be seen again. Some of the cards were from people who are no longer with us and I guess that a design historian might have found value in evidencing changing fashions in greeting cards over forty years. 

Throwing it away did not feel good. It was kind of sad and I did not in anyway experience a sense of  purification by letting go.

I kept some bits and pieces back for Ian and Frances. They can do what they wish to with their single plastic carrier bags filled with echoes of growing up and being children.

Shirley and I are determined to keep on top of the attic stuff now. None of the items we brought down in the last three days are ever going back up there. But here's the thing - below our house there's a subterranean room that I call "The Underhouse" and if anything that space is even more problematic than the attic. Phoebe calls it "Grandpa's Little Cave" but it is certainly not anything like Aladdin's Cave with its glittering jewels.


Attic Images

The top image was drawn by our son Ian a month before his baby sister was born in 1988. He was just four years old and for whatever reason he referred to her as "House Roof" in the weeks before she arrived.

The bottom image shows a silver plastic key in a presentation box. Shirley received it on the occasion of her twenty first birthday. It was her "key to the door". It was not the only one she got. I think this 21st birthday gift fashion died out some time ago now.

30 comments:

  1. Some day you'll be glad you got rid of all that stuff. And some day you'll be sorry you got rid of all that stuff. It is of these enigmas that life is made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find it hard to part with stuff but i never miss it after.

    I kept a few of my kids drawings and things, not a lot but enough to give them a view of their childhood. They couldn't care less about any of it but I wonder if that will change as they age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I wonder the same. We like to keep track of where we have been.

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid our attic is basically empty; we don't hold on to much and if we do it's out on display in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are biting the bullet and making a realistic attempt to downsize. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand how getting rid of the cards and papers made you sad. It is for that reason that I still have all the cards Steve and I got for our wedding, and on very rare occasions over the past 13 years I have brought them out of their drawer and looked at them.
    21st birthdays are not such a big thing in Germany; young people focus much more on their 18th over here. I have never seen such a key as a gift, but I imagine that, seeing as they were fashionable, there are people out there who collect them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The significance of a 21st birthday predates the lowering of the voting age to 18.

      Delete
  6. No attics/lofts here, but it's amazing what you can stuff into the top cupboards of a wardrobe!
    I suspect that "keys to the door" cards died out when 18 became the majority age. I threw all mine away, and all the cards and lucky horseshoes from our wedding, before we moved here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...How could a marriage begin without a few lucky horseshoes?

      Delete
  7. "It was kind of sad.." Yes it is and will be again and again as you dispose of more and more things. I have my own sad moments coming up this coming spring and summer when I clear out "the shed" and after that I'll tackle the suitcases stored in the top-of-wardrobe section that I can only access by climbing the tall ladder. Since my current small home may very well be my last one, I need to stop holding on to things that just don't fit in here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It took months to sort out my old stull, and it isn't yet done. I photographed anything I thought might be of future interest before throwing it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea - creating virtual attics on computers.

      Delete
  9. I wonder if we cleaned out the attic when we sold the other house 4 years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the new owners are in for a nasty shock when they go up there.

      Delete
  10. I think there is a sense of relief when you get rid of stuff. Sometimes you feel sad for what has gone, but again you will feel much lighter in yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like what Catalyst said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, this post is full of mysteries. Why "House Roof," I wonder? And what's a "key to the door"? Like, the door of adulthood?

    In any case, I bet it's fun to go through all this old stuff, even if it tugs at the heartstrings to get rid of some of it. I'm glad you're saving some select items for Ian and Frances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed - figuratively you get the key to the door when you are grown up. I wouldn't call all the clearing up "fun" as such!

      Delete
  13. I cleaned out my attic a few years ago and it has stayed empty.
    Now my basement...that's a different story (a pun!?!). Lots stored down there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What goes up must come down. From attic to basement!

      Delete
  14. After inheriting a bunch of things from several people in recent years, I have been weeding things down. We have a similar attic as yours but it was full of crap when I bought the house and I spent a few days cleaning it out down to the joists and insulation and it remains that was to this day. But we have a full basement under our house with a third of it as storage and it is a never ending fight to keep things culled down in it. In fact, next week is our annual neighborhood garage sale and I plan to take several loads of stuff to dispose of at the sale and return with a pocket of cash. I much prefer finding places to store cash than rarely seen things in old boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fagin in "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens was also good at storing cash!

      Delete
  15. You can start collecting again when the roof is fitted YP.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits