3 May 2023

Leek

Choo! Choo! Chugga! Chugga! I could hear it coming before I saw it - a real live steam train on the Churnet Valley Railway. I realise my photo may look as though it is a shot of a model railway but I swear it is not. I was standing on the old railway bridge near Bradnop. The Churnet Valley Railway is of course run by rail enthusiasts

It was a good start to my long Staffordshire walk. It had taken Clint just one hour and ten minutes to transport me cross country to the town of Leek but I chose to begin my walk just outside it in the  strung out village of Bradnop. This is Lark Hall Farm just outside Bradnop:-

Later, after plodding along for a couple of hours I found myself in the centre of Leek itself. It has a population of some twenty thousand and a long history too. It even has its own building society. Here is the branch on Derby Street:-

Here's another view of Leek taken from near the old market place which received its charter from King John in 1207. The church is dedicated to St Edward the Confessor and also dates back to the thirteenth century:-
On the walking map I had printed off I had seen something marked called "Plague Stone" next to Cheddleton Road. I was keen to investigate and this is it....
This stump of a cross dates back to the fourteenth century. It is thought that provisions were left on or near the cross for the townspeople of Leek during the Bubonic Plague, and payment was left by the people in bowls of vinegar, to prevent spread of the disease.

It was after four o'clock when I jumped back into Clint's cosy cockpit ready for the drive back to Sheffield. Weatherwise, it had been a pretty perfect day and I was pleased that my circular walk had all been in "virgin territory" for I had never previously visited Leek. It was good.

34 comments:

  1. Lark Hall Farm is a lovely looking home; I could live there quite nicely.
    And that train photo does look a little model-y to me, too.
    Great walkabout, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it and it gives me pleasure to tell other people about my long walks.

      Delete
  2. It boggles my mind a bit, that a plague stone can sit there for nearly 500 years and nobody decides to remove it.
    Of course that's because I live in a place where everything over 50 years old is knocked down.
    I have just read a novel based on the plague story of Eyam. It was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eyam isn't far from Sheffield. I have been there plenty of times.

      Delete
  3. Your walks take you to interesting places every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is wonder and delight to be found just round the corner. You don't have to travel far.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos and a lovely little town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did seem like a nice town and on a manageable human scale too.

      Delete
  5. A pretty day and an interesting one. Obviously I have never been to Leek, but I do like the look of it and I alsi like leek, the onion related vegetable, it's very nice in chicken and/or vegetable soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leek is one of my favourite vegetables too.

      Delete
  6. It looks good, too. You had perfect walking weather and combined a village, railway, and town with historic interest.
    The petrol-blue colour on the Georgian (?) home is rather unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that a business is now based there.

      Delete
  7. During the 1990s I had to visit the town of Leek many times as my employers' head office was based there. Unfortunately I never found the time to walk about and see much of it, so thank you for posting those photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had pie and chips, a mug of tea and a good rest in the marketplace. The once palatial HQ of The Britannia Building Society now sits empty.

      Delete
  8. I had a uni friend who came from Leek. I've often wondered what it looked like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have spent longer there. I would have liked to visit the town's museum and go inside that particular church.

      Delete
  9. What a stunning train photo. I visited Leek a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked both the "feel" and the look of Leek.

      Delete
  10. Great train shot,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a pretty perfect walk although...no cows or sheep. You know how I love the livestock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly took pictures of a spotty horse and later some newborn lambs but the frolicked away - imagining that you cannot trust humans! Now why would that be?

      Delete
  12. I've heard of a technique one can do with certain lenses and elevations to make things appear like model toys. I've never been able to do it but I live mostly in the land of one to two story buildings so I'm guessing it has to do with my lack of elevation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of that technique too but I didn't need it for this shot. It just came out that way.

      Delete
  13. That train photo is terrific, Neil! Love that billowing smoke and the bright red bumper on the front of the train. The color really pops in that view from the market place. Well done! You'll be winning more photo awards...!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always think the Roaches Hills look interesting when I go in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very gnarled. I have walked up there.

      Delete
  15. Have driven through Leek in years gone by, but can't recall ever stopping to look round. It looks a nice town.
    To add to Kylie's comment about the plague stone - it's a miracle it isn't daubed with graffiti!

    ReplyDelete
  16. weird fact, my great grandad hid his bigamous second wife in leek...lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. So who's riding that train? Does it carry passengers who are fellow railway enthusiasts?

    You found some interesting sights, particularly the "plague stone" (which would be easy to miss if you didn't know to look for it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people on the train would have been paying passengers who fancied a steam train ride. Some of those people would have been riding on a steam train for the very first time and others would have been lifelong enthusiasts.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits