16 May 2023

Signpost

There is a lonesome crossroads high on the moors of Staffordshire. There stands a signpost with only three arms. It seems that the fourth arm was broken off or disappeared some years ago.. The signpost was erected by Staffordshire County Council in the nineteenth century to guide travellers.

I took a photograph of it on Saturday only to discover when I got home that I had taken a better picture of it back in November 2019. The light was quite perfect at that moment and I am rather pleased with the image. It is the one at the top of this blogpost. You can see a little badge on the post - SCC which of course stands for Staffordshire County Council.

Needless to say, one can take a photograph in different light or weather conditions, at different times of year and from different angles and viewpoints. Though photographers can be looking at the same subject, the results may be very different.

Looking through the annals of Geograph in that particular Ordnance Survey square, I found these six pictures of the same signpost snapped by different contributors.and I thought it would be interesting to compare them.



The one below captured by Brian Deegan is my favourite. It is moody and captures the wild and slightly unsettling feeling one might experience up on those moors when the sky is leaden and the wind is blowing. In comparison, my own image seems rather benign. By the way, in case you were wondering, "Royal Cottage" was once a wayside tavern by the main road between Buxton and Leek.
In order, copyright acknowledgement to Geograph contributors:  
Ian S, Peter McDermott, L.Marsden, Espresso Addict, Peter Barr and Brian Deegan.

34 comments:

  1. Gosh! I grew up familiar with lots of signposts like that, but I did not realise they were so old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upon reflection I might be wrong about its age. I admit to making mistakes from time to time.

      Delete
    2. Looking through the door into total nerdiness, it is probably C20, 1930s at earliest. Apparently it is correctly termed a fingerpost.

      Delete
  2. So what was the broken sign pointing towards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been pointing to the village of Thorncliffe I think.

      Delete
  3. either the villages and farms are hidden in valleys or it's genuinely empty like some areas of western Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The emptiness you know in some parts of western Canada makes any emptiness we have over here seem laughable. Villages, farms and towns are never too far away Red.

      Delete
  4. Lonely little signpost.
    Love all the images, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here's me thinking Royal Cottage was a little-known hideaway for the Royals. The pictures show well just how empty and desolate the moors can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in 2019 when I took my picture I didn't know what "Royal Cottage" meant. The pub is now permanently closed but I wonder why it was called "Royal Cottage" in the first place.

      Delete
  6. It is very interesting to compare these photos. My favourite is also the last one. It speaks of the isolation and constant movement (as on the road) opposed to standstill (as for the post itself), equally isolated. The place simply does not "care" - it is there, and has been there, and will probably be there for many years to come, no matter how many times people pass there and take photographs.
    (I might be in a somewhat "moody" mood myself today, as I have just tested COVID positive - after all the years of not having anything, I had to catch it now from my Mum...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because you have COVID you have my sympathy too. Look after yourself. As she is older, I hope your mother gets past the crossroads in comfort.

      Delete
  7. I wonder how many people got lost going down the unsigned path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a network of lanes in that area and some of them are very narrow. Only room for a single car. You really do not want to meet another vehicle. Fortunately, there's not much traffic.

      Delete
  8. Another part of England, bleak and lonely. Each photo captures the 'feel', notwithstanding in the real olden days it would have been horse and cart slowly plodding across the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or jaggers with their pack horses carrying salt or coal amongst other things.

      Delete
  9. If that signpost could speak. What tales it could tell and what characters have past it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a cue for a poem Dave.

      Delete
    2. It does indeed! I hope there will be a poem about the signpost from you soon.

      Delete
    3. The poem will come from A.I. Meike!

      Delete
  10. These photos do reflect how a place/landscape can seem very different depending on the weather and time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice moody shot, the sign is easy to read in your image. Desirability is sometimes shaped by function. What am I looking for in the image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When functional things are designed, attractiveness may be an accidental by-product.

      Delete
  12. In remote parts of the UK there must be quite a few of those old signposts still around. In such a desolate spot, that one must be a very welcome sight - either to tell you you're on the right road - or you're hopelessly lost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always felt hopelessly lost Carol.

      Delete
  13. My favorite is the same as yours. Somehow it reminds me the Wizard of Oz. The threatening clouds, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a yellow brick road. It's charcoal grey tarmacadam.

      Delete
  14. I think the light is best in your photo, but I also like Espresso Addict's. I think it places the signpost in the context of the landscape and the crossroads.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting study of post photos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to see the variations.

      Delete
  16. I know I'm just baying at the moon but I keep hearing those hounds, especially in the final photo.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits