17 May 2023

ChatGPT

For whatever reason ChatGPT won't let me in. I have tried many times to sign up with it but no - it refuses to let me in. Perhaps it recognises me as a potential threat because of my non-artificial intelligence.

Anyway, yesterday my lovely daughter Frances sent me a poem about Sheffield that ChatGPT had produced for her. It was the first AI poem I had ever read and though it was in a traditional rhyming style, it still had plenty of merit. There were a few things I might have tweaked but overall I was pretty impressed.

As you know, yesterday I blogged about a signpost in  Staffordshire so I asked Frances if she could make me a new  poem: "The poem should concern a moorland signpost at a lonely crossroads in Staffordshire". In ten seconds ChatGPT made two long poems for her but this was the one I preferred - again in a traditional format - what many people would think of as "real poetry".

I guess I am nit-picking but I am not sure what "heathered hearse" means and I would also quibble about "lost and cope" but remember these are in fact the early days of Artificial Intelligence  and ChatGPT was only launched seven months ago! Like the Sheffield poem, this "creation" also has real merit...

The Signpost

In Staffordshire's moorland, bleak and wide,
A signpost stands with quiet pride.
At a lonely crossroads, it marks its place,
Guiding lost souls through nature's embrace.

Weathered and worn, its timber frame,
Whispers stories of travelers who came.
Whence ancient footsteps wandered near,
To seek solace or destiny clear.

Its fingers point with steadfast grace,
Paths diverging in endless space.
To the left, where heather blooms entwine,
A tranquil path, where dreams align.

To the right, a rugged, winding trail,
Through untamed beauty, both rough and hale.
Where nature's secrets lie untold,
In untamed whispers of days of old.

Straight ahead, an unknown road unfurls,
Inviting wanderers to new worlds.
Adventure beckons, tempts the bold,
With mysteries waiting to unfold.

At this moorland crossroads, the winds converse,
Their tales carried across the heathered hearse.
Whispering echoes of ancient lore,
Embracing wanderers seeking more.

The signpost stands, a stoic guide,
In Staffordshire's moorland, far and wide.
Its presence kindles a flame of hope,
To those who wander, lost and cope.

So if you find yourself at this crossroads rare,
Pause and ponder, for a moment, there.
Let the signpost's wisdom be your guide,
Through Staffordshire's moorland, far and wide

35 comments:

  1. Fairly good. And a bit nerve rattling when one thinks about how easy the "machine" created this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GPT, I'm not impressed,
    Yorkshire Pudding's poems are best.
    You can't walk there, but he can,
    Which makes him the better man.
    Imbibing the nectar drink
    Would short your circuits, I think.
    But one minute. Could it be
    Pudding could be GPT?
    Writing artificial blogs
    We're all going to the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your own effort. I will accept lines 5-6 with the forced rhyme as a parody. Whole thing appropriately a hall of mirrors. Zhuangzi Butterfly Dream.

      Delete
    2. How did you guess Sir Tasker? I am just a big fat bot with no human form.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am not sure what to think.
    I haven't got a clue!
    I'll let the more learned decide.
    Boop Boop Be do!

    (Neil, this is my standard form for many poems I created for family occasions over the years! So I am probably not a good judge of poetry!?!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brilliant! Walt Whitman eat your heart out!

      Delete
  4. And here endeth humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they keep saying but it was ending anyway thanks to global warming, overpopulation and styling of homes.

      Delete
  5. It's pretty good, isn't it?
    As an aside, my daughter has already had a number of her students submit assignments written by Chat GPT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may be very hard to discern - especially if the student applies some polish or builds upon what ChatGPT has churned out.

      Delete
  6. It's hard to believe what can be done with AI. We never dreamed about this until recently and now , here it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is already taking jobs and adversely affecting politics.

      Delete
  7. As a way of embedding groupthink the elites must be rubbing their hands with glee about this - just feed what they want into ChatGPT and everyone will get the message. No chance of originality as students use this to generate their coursework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like we are on the edge of something. Is this how Dr Frankenstein felt?

      Delete
  8. I think they're confused. Staffordshire's moorland is either 'bleak and wide' or 'far and wide', it can't be both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's quite nice, though a little long for my taste, poetry and me are not good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew a lady called River
      Who had a dodgy liver
      She went to the doctors for some pills
      But they didn't know what to give her.

      Delete
  10. Coincidentally, just yesterday I was required to write a communication to all my employer's employees about the information security and privacy protection risks of using ChatGPT. I am not going into detail here, as this is not my work place.
    In the poem, I like some lines better than others, and I would have left out several commas that are not necessary from a grammatical point of view.
    Anyway, I would not have suspected it was written by a bot if you had not told us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concern about A.I. seems to have mushroomed in recent weeks.

      Delete
  11. The AI wrote the poem needed, so does it mean from now on no student will have to sit down and write an essay from their own mind. Scary indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I wish this had been around when my English teacher asked us to write poems! In future, is anyone actually going to use their brains? Will future generations be born brainless?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your natural abilities, I am sure you did not need the aid of A.I. to create excellent poetry Carol!

      Delete
  13. My retirement is booting up, glad I am ready to retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen images of you. Surely, you are far too young to retire!

      Delete
  14. Poetry written by artificial intelligence defeats the whole purpose of poetry if you ask me.
    This whole situation scares me to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old truths are being upended by A.I..

      Delete
  15. I didn't get in at first either but eventually did with persistence. Although I am impressed by the technology behind the scenes, I haven't been real enthused about reading what it writes, simply knowing it is made up by a computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should not have mentioned that "The Signpost" was created by A.I..

      Delete
  16. I've yet to play with any kind of AI program and I'm not sure I want to. The possibility of computers becoming sentient disturbs me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great poem. It's the ordinary things like signposts that makes hem so important.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits