29 November 2023

Kettleshulme

By Side End Lane

Kettleshulme is a village in Cheshire, close to that county's border with Derbyshire. This morning, Clint drove me over there to undertake another pre-planned circular walk. The weather forecast was  good - clear and sunny but frosty  cold.

Sheffield to Hathersage to Winnats Pass to Rushup Edge to Chapel-en-le-Frith to Whaley Bridge and thence to Kettleshulme. I parked Clint on Paddock Lane and got togged up - including fingerless gloves and bright red thermal hat and at eleven o'clock on the dot I set off.

Icy puddle

I expected the highlights of this walk to be the evocatively named Windgather Rocks and an isolated church called Jenkin Chapel though a hundred and fifty years ago it was known as St John the Baptist's Church. There would also be two or three ruinous farms. 

Ruinous Redfern Farm

Almost exactly four hours after leaving my sleek silver steed, I  unlocked his boot (American: trunk) ready to change into my driving shoes. The best of the day had already gone and lengthening shadows  announced that night would arrive in an hour or so.

But there was just enough time to drive back home in daylight. It had been a glorious walk, navigated without any problems. I drank hot coffee and ate a slice of banana bread while sitting on the old stone steps of Jenkin Chapel. Finally, I would like to share with you the name of a property I passed through - it was the best name on today's walk - Hollowcowhey Farm. How it acquired that name is a mystery to me.

"Hello Mary Moon!" (at Hollowcowhey Farm)

At Windgather Rocks

Jenkin Chapel, Saltersford

32 comments:

  1. A glorious walk, indeed. English names are delightful. Such a shame the origins have been lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many word origins are known but some are lost in the mists of time.

      Delete
  2. Nice photos through the rocks of some beautiful countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Red. Your kind encouragement is always appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Again, the old stone buildings get me; as does that stone outcropping. Gorgeous vistas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a secret, little visited part of England.

      Delete
  4. A perfect walk! I am glad you had and took the opportunity, and even gladder that you shared it with us.
    No such sunny weather here in what feels like a long time. We've been having occasional glimpses of sun but mostly a solid grey lid over our heads.
    Also, it was raining and so windy that I have not gone for a good walk in "ages".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved to see the ruins.

      Delete
  5. From a distance anyway, the first ruinous farm looks like with a new roof and windows, one might have a really nice start to a house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Access to that old farm is pretty difficult and I would say that it has been abandoned for fifty years or more.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos and a beautiful sheep too. The lovely circular walks would be one reason why I would visit Yorkshire if I could, I take it there aren't any dangerous snakes to look out for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have no dangerous wild creatures here BUT walkers need to be careful when strolling through fields that have cattle in them... or horses.

      Delete
  7. Jenkin Chapel is nice but wow, have a look at the fence around the chapel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot see a fence but I can see a wall.

      Delete
  8. What a glorious day for it. Great photos again YP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that abandoned farm. If I was a year younger I'd give it a go. Love your puddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peeping inside, I would say that it was abandoned fifty years ago or more. It would need a hell of a lot of t.l.c. and bags of money too.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful part of the country! Love your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to share this quiet corner of England with you.

      Delete
  11. Such a handsome sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame you already have a partner David!

      Delete
  12. Thank you, Mr. P! I can see that that fine sheep has its Christmas sweater on and earrings in! Dressed and ready for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be having his holidays in a village east of Tallahassee in northern Florida but he is feeling sheepish about the long flight.

      Delete
  13. Now this is more like it YP - never mind that miserable looking Poet Laureate's book! Excellent photos of an interesting walk in beautiful countryside on a perfect winter's day. A photo of a sheep too - something for the animal lover's amongst us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean by "animal lover" Carol? There are rumours about Welsh hill farmers.

      Delete
  14. Everything looks a little desolate, this time of year, long shadows and no leaves. Lovely photos though of what looks like a beautiful area. I especially like Windgather Rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely day for a walk, Neil. The skies look so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the icy puddle. It's such a unique photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hulme is an old Norse name for an island. Perhaps they found a copper kettle on a island?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That IS a great name. I love your photo of Windgather Rocks, too.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits