10 November 2023

Plodding

 

We have had some lovely autumn weather this week. Today, Clint propelled me over the hills to the edge of Bakewell which is perhaps the most famous town in The Peak District National Park. I was all set for a nice walk of around 2.5 to 3 hours and had planned a circular route before printing off the A4 map sheet I required.

Soon after setting off, I had to cross Bakewell Golf Course where walkers are invited  to clang a primitive bell  in order to warn nearby golfers that ramblers are around. To say that "Golf ball strikes are painful" seems like an understatement. Each year in America around 40,000 people who are hit by golfballs seek medical attention and though rare, deaths due to golf ball strikes certainly do happen.

After the golf course, I made my way up a steep and rather slippery path through Manners Wood to Calton Pastures which belong to the estate of Chatsworth House - seat of The Dukes of Devonshire. From afar I could see The Russian Cottage which I photographed a year back - go here.

I investigated a little-visited triangulation pillar before heading back into the woods and down the escarpment to Bowling Green Farm which is on the edge of the estate of ancient Haddon Hall - its boundary defined by the metal fence you can see in the image below:-

The path by The River Wye was treacherous after a very wet October so as my  invigorating walk drew to a close I headed away from the river and on to Coombs Road which is where this grand Georgian house is located. For many years, it was a residential home for the elderly but it has been empty for ages now - awaiting the magic wand swish of a housing developer.

And so I headed home with my faithful companion across a gorgeous landscape that was bathed in golden November sunlight. Every few hundred yards there was another tempting photo opportunity because of the illumination and the colour but Clint would not stop. He just kept bowling along.

34 comments:

  1. What a beautiful walk. Thank you for taking us with you.
    Golfers are very particular about their courses here. Trespassing is NOT encouraged - even with a bell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walkers should strike back by hurling dung.

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous scenery on your walk! I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite from your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly. I will keep you in my will.

      Delete
  3. Lots of variety in this walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first picture is delightful and I like the Russian cottage backed by all those protective trees.
    When I read your opening statement "..I could be bounded by a nutshell.." my mind always adds "and when you break free you shall be a tree."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't autumn colours the best! The sunshine that day showed them off perfectly, as do your pictures.
    The Georgian house standing empty intrigues me. It's not crumbling enough yet to be a Lost Place, and I hope it will be inhabited again before that, but I would still love to explore the inside.
    The path leading up to the gate looks VERY wet! Good job you always walk in sturdy boots. And I am very glad you are able to go walking like that again.
    Were you collecting geograph squares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just squares I have bagged before. It's old territory to me but even then I can always find something new or a path I have not taken.

      Delete
  6. Looks a lovely walk. A sharp distinction of wealth, young people needing homes and folly cottages (is that right?) in unspoilt countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a "folly cottage"... linked to the visit of a certain Russian Tsar to Chatsworth.

      Delete
  7. I have no idea how a golf ball strike feels and I aim to keep it that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to a golf course please wear a suit of armour.

      Delete
  8. I remember you locking the keys in your boot but curiously I didn't comment. I must have been on holidays. Little did I know that less than twelve months later I would be in the gardens of Chatsworth House.
    Your first photo of the 'burnished' tree is lovely and the Russian Cottage is not bad either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were too much of a gentleman to comment upon my foolishness.

      Delete
  9. Did you treat yourself to a Bakewell tart?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could be comfortable in that house, and there are sheep nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that some men prefer sheep as companions as they never argue.

      Delete
  11. It's a beautiful time of year for a walk and you certainly captured the lovely Autumn colors, Neil! I love that first photo with the two sheep casting tiny shadows on the grass. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheep can often make a country picture - adding some animation.

      Delete
  12. I have never seen a bell like that on a golf ⛳️ course. Normally golfers shout 'fore". Great photos of your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some shout "skin!" which is one of the drawbacks of golf.

      Delete
  13. What a great feeling it must be to get back out and have your walks.
    That last building looks a little creepy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it is haunted with the ghosts of elderly residents who faded away behind those windows.

      Delete
  14. There is something very special about this golden autumn light. You can really see it in these photos. I almost took a long walk this afternoon but wound up doing housework instead. Maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been some superb light this past week. You would not see such light in the summertime.

      Delete
  15. That's what happens when you give your car a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you call your car Bruce? I suggest Oliver as it is the most popular name for boys in North Dakota. Mind you, your car could be female so you might call her Stormy Daniels.

      Delete
    2. Let me remind you I am in Arizona. But growing up in North Dakota I may have called my car Lay Down Sally. When I lived in Mexico I had a blue Volkswagen Quantum which I could have called the Blue Streak but which I referred to, at very high speeds, as German Engineering. Loved that car til I drove it to extinction. Presently I'm driving a Nissan Altima, which I could call The Ultimate. All of which, I suppose, is why I can appreciate Clint.

      Delete
  16. Does everyone eat Bakewell tarts in Bakewell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - apart from those who much prefer Bakewell Pudding Margaret!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits