9 November 2023

Reminiscence

Fourteen years ago I visited Easter Island. It was something I had dreamt of doing for decades. In terms of "dream destinations" this was my ultimate goal. I knew so much about the island and its history. Books about Easter Island were like food to me. I had gobbled them up with a hunger that could never be satisfied until I actually landed there ready to explore.

A flight to Madrid from London was followed by a much longer flight to Santiago, Chile and then after a day or two I continued flying west across The Pacific Ocean for 2500 miles until the legendary  little island appeared in view - The Navel of the World and arguably the most remote inhabited island on our planet.

I know I was there but even now I have to pinch myself to believe it. I even got to blog from Easter Island and this is what I wrote on October 28th 2009:-

"So dear visitors, I made it to Rapa Nui, Isla de Pascua, Easter Island which ever you choose to call it... and I am not disappointed I can tell you.

On Monday I scrambled down inside Ranu Kau crater to a unique microclimate, sheltered from the worst of Pacific gales and from the encroachment of disease and human interference. I felt like Simon in "Lord of The Flies", gasping in the thick green jungle undergrowth and further along the crater lake´s tangled edge I discovered a huge rock inscribed with petroglyphs from long ago.
Back on the crater rim having sweltered in the sunshine on the long climb back, I collapsed in a heap before heading down to the broken "ahu" at Vinapu. So many "moai" were pushed over or broken up perhaps in inter-tribal warfare or because the old certainties of the island were disappearing...but you still sense the echoes of the amazing culture that was developed here in total ignorance of the outer world which lay over two thousand five hundred miles away.

For the first people of Rapa Nui, this was their entire world and I feel privileged, even a little humbled to have this opportunity to witness first hand palpable evidence of those lost and distant times. I´ll tell you more when I am not in an expensive little internet cafe where speed of internet access is clearly not a priority but hey... blogging from Easter Island.... isn´t that just amazing anyway!"
I walked for miles in the week that I was there and saw as much as I could - even hiring a vehicle for a couple of days from the owner of the little lodging house where I stayed - in Hanga Roa which is the island's only settlement. How I would love to go back there and see some more - perhaps join an archaeological expedition - but I guess I never will.  But I have been there and I  will remember it to the end of my life.
Offshore islets

14 comments:


  1. What I find fascinating about these "ancient" civilisations is that they are not as ancient as one might think. As with the Inca, they existed within the last 1,000 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing spot to see up close and personal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easter Island has dropped off my radar recently. thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are books about Easter Island? Fictional tales or educational? Travelogues? I barely remember where it even is and will have to check the big old atlas. You were so lucky to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The water is not Mediterranean blue, but a deeper and richer shade of blue.
    https://behindthelines.moadoph.gov.au/2015/the-fallen/monumental

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember your previous posts about Rapa Nui, and it certainly is a fascinating place - and an even more fascinating idea. As you say, to its first inhabitants, that island was their entire world. They had no way of knowing whether there were other humans anywhere, or how much vaster this planet is than what they were confined to. But somehow, the first people must have landed there from somewhere... maybe other places were a distant, collective memory, like a legend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember your blog about Easter Island not so long ago. It looks a fascinating place to explore. Not many tourists, just people like yourself with a genuine interest in the history and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am curious about how they managed to exist on such a bleak, craggy little island. Their diet must have been very limited?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A once in a lifetime travel experience. It's amazing how they transported and made those stone statues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all need those "pinch me to show this is real" adventures in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you made that happen, Mr. P. That is definitely one regret you will not have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have had some great adventures, Neil! I had to google it to find it on the map as I wasn't sure where it was. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a treat, a marvelous treat.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits