29 August 2024

Reblog

Venezia

I first published this blogpost in October 2006, after Shirley and I had returned from a three day break in Venice, Italy. We were celebrating our silver wedding anniversary. Back then, nobody who commented on the post visits this blog any more so I guess that readers in late August, 2024 will all be fresh to the blogpost. Venice... I don't suppose we will ever go back there but it was so good to have been.
The Grand Canal 11.35am Oct 24th 2006

Welcome to Waterworld. A siren bleats from the far distance and then a speedboat ambulance bounces by. Builders unload bricks and cement from miniature barges. The vapporetti ferry boats trundle from stop to stop like underground trains. Market traders unload brightly coloured baskets of fresh fruit and vegetables from bobbing boats as water taxis glide by, cutting the lagoon. The municipal garbage boat collects bags of refuse and gondoliers ply their trade, squeezing sackfuls of euros from gormless Japanese tourists.

This is Venezia. Venice. Still a rather unique place. Round every corner there's a photo opportunity and round every corner there's a piece of history. It's there in the walls. It's there in the bends of the side canals and little alleyways that weave away from the Grand Canal like a spider's web of human enterprise and memory. Once Venice was home to over 200,000 people, long before the idea of a state called Italy was ever dreamt of. It was the new Byzantium. Where the East met Europe. Protected and threatened by the sea, it drew its wealth from the ships that arrived there from all over the known world. And there was wealth to spare. Riches to build fantastic churches, bell towers, hospitals and palaces and money to pay the finest artists, sculptors, architects and musicians. Venice was filthy commerce but it was also reaching out for something pure, something better.

Me and Shirley have just returned from three days there, partly celebrating twenty five years of marriage. That first night we walked in the back alleys of the Canareggio area and noticed how quiet it was. No cars. No thunderous trucks or motorbikes - not even any bicycles. Intense Italian conversations between neighbours resounded about the ancient walls and then faded away. Somewhere in the maze a dog barked. Strangely we never heard TV sets or loud music disturbing the night. It was so quiet and peaceful.

You can get visually punch drunk on art so we restricted ourselves to the Peggy Guggenheim Collection. Some amazing pieces of modern art there - Picasso, Paul Klee, Joan Miro, Henry Moore, Jackson Pollock, Dali and Gino Severini's "Sea=Dancer" (much beloved by Steve of "Occupied Country"). So that was a highlight of the trip and so was the visit to Burano, two miles north of Venice. The feel of this other lagoon island was very different.


Burano above and traditional gondolier below

There the houses were less grand but mostly brightly coloured. It seemed like a place where fisherfolk once eked out a simple living.

As we made our way homeward to the P. de Roma bus square at the end of the causeway that connects Venice with the mainland, some of the streets, shops and restaurants were awash as another high tide reached its peak. Stoical Venetians demonstrated why they possess rubber boots - wading through their flood waters and perhaps wondering how many flood tides their incredible little city can take before nature reclaims it - that would be a very sad loss. Venezia is a very special place and in those three days I found myself shaking my head very often and muttering "Amazing!" - not something I am prone to doing at all.

46 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful, unusual, city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Venice! The art! The old buildings! Wow! Farhad (better known as Big Bear) hated it! Since I no longer post on my own blog, will you allow me to tell you this story? You don't have to publish it. When we were there last, I fell ill with a horrible stomach bug. So Farhad and my son went off on their own to explore whatever, and I stayed behind in the hotel very near the huge bridge on the Grand Canal. As I was looking out the window, opposite me a women in her nightgown came to the window to remove some clothing that she had hung on the little window shelf to dry. We caught each other's eye and began a conversation that I will never forget. No words. Just eyes and smiles and pointing and the common experience of womanhood! I think she was about the age that I am now. So, I am sure she is now gone. But, what we shared over the Grand Canal I shall never forget!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I loved your little story Donna - the idea that people can connect without words like that - just by catching each other's eyes. To me, there is nowhere else in the world quite like Venice. So sorry you got that horrible stomach bug.

      Delete
  3. Venice is so lovely and mysterious to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a stage set. Maybe for the opening of Shakespeare's "Othello".

      Delete
  4. I haven't been to Venice and most likely never will but I think it would be wonderful to see it.
    You're up to about your 44th year of marriage now? That's worth celebrating

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not up on my Italian geography or history. The Micro Manager visited in 1962.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Micro Manager had a life before you Red?

      Delete
  6. Your text has me dreamy-eyed at the thought of maybe one day seeing it for myself, but for now I will gaze some more at your pictures. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gondolier punts you around the canals as you lie sprawled in the boat holding a parasol and he sings:-
      When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that’s amore,
      When the world seems to shine like you had too much wine, that’s amore,

      Delete
  7. Someone needs to grasp the nettle, and build a wall all around the perimeter. Not too difficult I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you studied marine construction then Cro?

      Delete
  8. My own blogging experience only started in 2008 or so, and therefore your repost is new to me.
    With all the times (and there were many, many of them) that I've been to Italy, I have never set foot near Venezia. My Mum and my sister have been there, my sister several times, and loved it. (They went for the Biennale.)
    A city without cars has my instant thumbs-up, of course!
    If you were to walk those back alleys now, I doubt you'd find them like they used to be nearly 20 years ago, with no TV and no loud music to be heard. Sadly, the world is becoming noisier by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fell in love with Venice. Kay treated me to a trip there for my 60th birthday .We spent five days there and covered every every bit of the city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great city for walking in. No traffic to dodge.

      Delete
  10. P and I visited Venice way back in the 1980s. I was entranced and we wandered the streets taking photos at every wonderful sight.
    It was only once we had returned home that P discovered he had forgotten to put film in his camera.
    The digital age has many benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That only happened to me once in Hardy Country - Wessex. Digital photography is one of the wonders of the modern world.

      Delete
  11. I wonder if the crowds of tourists were so evident back then. There perhaps weren't the cruise ships in the lagoon. Late August, maybe the worst of the tourist hoards had abated. It always seemed to me to be a difficult city to visit, no matter the beauty and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited in late October. The city was not overwhelmed by tourists. From Treviso airport we were taken by bus to the coast and then climbed aboard a boat that took us right in to the city. It was easy.

      Delete
  12. We went when it was very hot and I wasn't very impressed. But it is beautiful and of course unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Venice when I was a boy - with my family. It was unbearably hot then too.

      Delete
  13. My regret is that I was far too young to appreciate my only visit to Venice, with my parents, when we were on a motoring holiday in Italy. My memory is of a lot of water, canals rather than streets and lots of old houses. It was a whistle-stop visit with a view to returning to explore the place properly the following year, so I doubt that we actually saw very much. My parents returned many times in later years, but for some reason I've never been back. Naturally I've read a great deal about it and seen many TV programmes and photographs since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you were there once Carol. I am surprised that Mr Coppa didn't whisk you off there for a long weekend.

      Delete
  14. I've been to Venice twice. The last time was this summer. It's amazing how the weather was an important factor in how I perceived the city. The first time was in 2005, and it was hotter than hell with high humidity. And it was very crowded. This summer the weather was perfect and the crowds were manageable. I could really appreciate the beauty and wonder of the city this time around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with all those high school kids in tow?

      Delete
    2. Yes! The students were great, and they helped to make the trip enjoyable.

      Delete
  15. My husband and I celebrated our 30th anniversary with an Italian vacation, Venice was our first stop. It was a whole new world taking the vaporetto from Aeroporto di Venezia Marco Polo to Venice. Your description brought back so many memories of a marvelous vacation. One of my favorite memories was watching some little boys play soccer (football) and instead of the ball going in the street as it would in my neighborhood, the ball went in the canal. A person in a passing boat scooped it up and threw it back to the boys. I loved all the walking. I felt like I was immersed in the Venetian life and the sight seeing was secondary. Oh, and the cicchettii...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful recollections Diaday - I especially like the detail of the boys with the football. I must admit that I had to look up cicchetti!

      Delete
  16. It is an amazing city. There is a train from the mainland, that runs every few minutes. We stayed on the mainland and took the train in and out. It was August and hotels were impossible in Venice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stayed in Venice itself. Our little hotel even had a garden!

      Delete
  17. I was eighteen when I spent one day in Venice and I will never forget it. You did a beautiful job of writing about that very special and yes, magical city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you go back with Glen? I can imagine him dressed as a gondolier.

      Delete
    2. I think my days of long travel are long over.

      Delete
  18. I took my daughter to Italy when I retired in 2019. We went to Venice, then Florence, then Rome and Venice was definitely our favorite. We timed it well as 2 weeks after we came home, Venice had that terrible flooding and then Covid hit!
    I saw an Instagram this morning about how Venice was built and it was so interesting! So it's a coincidence that your post was about Venice too, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you got to visit Venice too Ellen.

      Delete
  19. I doubt I'll ever make it there so I appreciate your post. It would be nice to walk in a city with no cars.
    I bought myself a bike the other day, to keep up with Jack. I haven't been on a bike in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your bum doesn't get too sore Nurse Pixie!

      Delete
  20. Apparently a north country councillor went on a trip to Venice and he was very impressed. At the next council meeting he stood up and proposed buying a Gondola and placing it on their local park boating lake.

    An enthusiastic council colleague stood up and said: "Why don't we buy two Gondolas and breed them?"

    ReplyDelete
  21. 7 more years and I'll be able to wish you a happy 50th anniversary. Now that gives me something to live for. I can't ever read or hear about Venice without thinking of the old tale, most often attributed to Robert Benchley. Supposedly he had gone on a first visit to Venice and immediately cabled back to either a magazine who had sent him or to his friend David Niven: "STREETS FLOODED. PLEASE ADVISE." I love that story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also visited the Peggy Guggenheim collection when I was in Venice back in 2007. It really is a remarkable city. Your post makes me wish I'd visited Burano too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was also Murano where glassware is manufactured and the island of Isola di San Michele - Venice's cemetery island since 1807.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits