3 June 2023

Versions

Recently, on this humble Yorkshire blog,  I featured "Up On the Roof" performed by The Drifters. It was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin in I think 1961. The Drifters' version came out in 1962.

For whatever reason, special songs like that one attract different recording artists. My fellow Yorkshireman, Tasker Dunham mentioned in comments that his preferred version is by Laura Nyro. She recorded it in 1970 but I must admit that I had never listened to it before. Here it is:


In the days that the song has been echoing around in my skull, I came across another great version - performed live by Carole King and her friend James Taylor. It is such a joyous performance. You sense the chemistry between the two of them, the feeling of enjoyment and indeed the respect they have for each other:

Which version do you prefer?

Laura Nyro died from ovarian cancer in 1997 when she was just 49 years old. Carole KIng is 81 years old and mostly resides in the state of Idaho. Still performing and recording, James Taylor is 75 years old and continues to live in his home state - Massachusetts.

18 comments:

  1. They are very different: Laura's is more polished and smoother whereas Carol's is rougher but somehow more human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura's was carefully crafted in the studio. Carole and James were live but probably rehearsed too.

      Delete
  2. I was a huge fan of Laura Nyro but you just can't beat that fantastic performance by Carole King and James Taylor. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their performance was uplifting wasn't it?

      Delete
  3. I'm a James Taylor fan so my choice is obvious. I don't ever recall hearing this song before sung by anyone though. It is a nice song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read your post I thought I had not heard these. When I listened then I could remember hearing them. It was just a good all round song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you and I should duet it Red? Spyman and Garfinkle.

      Delete
  5. I'll take James and Carole's; their voices blend so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have known each other for a long time.

      Delete
  6. Carole King over Laura Nyro, but Drifters still the best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're an old-fashioned kind of gal River!

      Delete
  7. The first time I heard this song it was the version by Kenny Lynch which reached number 10 in Britain in 1962, and the fact I've been able to sing it ever since indicates what a brilliant song it is, but I prefer the other versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear The Dunham Family performing it. A bit like The Partridge Family.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I believe that Bruce Springsteen also performed it.

      Delete
  9. Amazing how the same song can vary so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was going to University of Denver, my roommate was from NYC and she turned me on to Laura Nyro. Thank you for the sweet, sweet reminder of her. She is sort of an acquired taste for many but for me, she is an angel.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits