4 July 2026

Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
From the top
E. Jean Carroll, Alex Pretti, Nicole Good, James Comey, Four of the Epstein victims, Brian Sicknick (State Capitol police officer), Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton

15 comments:

  1. A mix of sad and great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't feel at all like the bicentennial back in 1976.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I live in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All men are equal, but some are more equal than others and women often come much lower down the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. America, the good, the bad and the ugly ... but today let's look at the good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a better grasp of American ideals than many Americans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see someone was stabbed at Banner Cross the other day. In the same article I read that Banner Cross is a fashionable area. Which of those facts do you consider more surprising?

    ReplyDelete
  9. * We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal ... *
    Among the greatest words ever written. America was to have no aristocracy.

    Jefferson should have written ' men, women & children of all races '.
    He sexually abused his slaves, young black women who bore his children.
    He stood over runaways who had been captured and watched them being flogged.

    I learned this from a cover story on Jefferson in National Geographic.
    He wanted slavery ended but not in his lifetime. Slaves built his estate, Monticello.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can highly recommend the 5-part documentary „The American Experiment“, new on Netflix in time for Independence Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it impossible to wish anyone a Happy Independence day given the things that are happening in the USA. A sad end day as the president encumbent in the White House goes to view where his face can be carved at Mount Rushmore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All are created equal but not recognised as such. Happy Murikkka

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't understand why it even gets a mention here. We rarely mention other countries independence days.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits