27 July 2026

Traveller

Traveller's comment on my "Report" blogpost... "Sounds lovely, welcome home. Hope we get more photos in the next few posts".

Traveller's wish is my command even though I did not take many pictures during our week on Majorca/Mallorca. But anyway, here we go...

Are you able to read this engraved padlock? It was affixed to a safety fence at the Mirador or viewpoint on Cap da Formentor. Stupidly I had neglected to have any padlocks engraved ahead of our visit. Declaring your emotional ties on a padlock is such a unique and special thing to do. What is more it is very thoughtful to share those declarations with complete strangers.  Below, the view showing the spectacular northern coastline.
This goat at Cala  San Vicenze beach was obviously the toilet attendant...
Our property had once been a rather humble farmhouse. There was much evidence of this including the "well" you can see pictured below. If you shouted into a hole in the rusty padlocked lid you could hear your echo in a deep underground tank where rainwater would have been collected in wintertime. See the terracotta piping to the right. This came down from the tiled roof. The children enjoyed hearing their voices bounce back and of course there was a troll down there who sounded suspiciously like Old Grandpa.
In the garden there was a big old stone surrounded by little trees. I suspect it may have had some ancient significance but it might have simply been a place to tether beasts of burden in days before motor vehicles.
This was a typical street scene in Pollensa, looking to Església de Nostra Senyora dels Àngels.
Back at our villa, I noticed a tenacious tree on a sunbaked stony ridge, perhaps a mile away from where we were. Can you see it, bang in the middle?
Standing on the very same spot, I zoomed in with my Lumix bridge camera - the one I almost lost at Derby railway station...
Finally, please meet The Beaver. This was my family's friendly inflatable holiday companion. Shirley had picked her up for free at the Age Concern charity shop but I was the one who who had to blow air into The Beaver's secret nozzles. In my humble opinion, everybody should  ride The Beaver at least once in their lives so we left her there for others to ride upon. I imagine that she is still smiling.
"I'm a happy beaver"

36 comments:

  1. The happy beaver is cute. When I hear the word beaver I'm never sure what to think. Your inflatable is very cute, but it also can have (ahem) a naughty meaning. FYI, we have a bag of beaver tails in our freezer. Doesn't that sound nice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your husband enjoy eating beaver Kelly?

      Delete
    2. You did go there.

      Delete
    3. Sorry. Couldn't help myself but Kelly is a good sport and not easily offended.

      Delete
    4. I'll admit I blushed, but I left myself wide open for that. Wait.... I'm blushing again!

      Delete
    5. Ha-ha! Nice one Kelly!

      Delete
  2. Great pictures, Mr. Pudding. I wonder who will float on Mr Beaver next. And I wonder if they will think and ponder who might have left it behind just for them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gifts I leave behind Donna! I'm like Jesus.

      Delete
  3. You had a good combination of scenery and family fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed but I would have preferred reduced temperatures. Thank God for our pool and the three times we all plunged into the Mediterranean.

      Delete
  4. The beaver looks like a comfortable place to rest one's head.
    The tree photo from such distance is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that tree photo really shows what modern bridge cameras can do without having to faff about changing lenses.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos, but a warning about the padlock idea. It was a popular thing here in Australia years ago and eventually the weight of many, many padlocks caused a bridge fence to begin to buckle and sag, so all padlocks had to be removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Elsie those padlocks puzzle me as much as love tattoos. I think - Why?

      Delete
    2. Herd mentality, one does it and many copy.

      Delete
  6. Nice photos. I appreciate your photos because you take time to frame them and think about the composition. Didn’t understand it when someone goes somewhere interesting and their photos are ugly, blurred, taken through a dirty window etc.

    Nice to leave the lilo for the next tenants - also meant more room in your luggage to bring stuff back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - like contraband, tins of sardines and a large straw donkey called Pedro.
      Oh and thanks for your nice comment about my photos Traveller - I really do try my best.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures! The coastline is my favorite. What a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of variety on Majorca - it's big enough for that.

      Delete
  8. Judging from that smile on The Beaver's face, you must be very good at blowing into secret nozzles. One of your many hidden talents, I presume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are ever in Sheffield or I am in Edmonton, I will be happy to show you my technique Debra.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful spot; love, of course, the architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somebody had a good laugh designing that Beaver. From your comment to Kelly I see that you do understand what a Beaver is:)
    There is a small town north of here, Beaverlodge, that has the world's largest Beaver and I always wonder if the people who wanted the Beaver built knew about the double entendre.
    The photos are beautiful, as is the countryside. Not jealous at all, not even a bit. Sigh. My brother was showing me his photos from their cruise in April, Portugal and Spain and once again I was not at all jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double entendre? What on earth are you talking about Nurse Pixie?
      I am so glad that jealousy does not enter your field of vision.

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos, Mr Pudd. I love seeing your little grandchildren. Does my heart good. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had fun with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precious days that may never come again - not in the same happy form anyway.

      Delete
  13. I‘m with Jennifer on the favourite photo, that coastline is beautiful.
    The well would have fascinated me as a child, and probably as an adult, too. In the series „Locke & Key“ which I watched on Netflix a couple of years ago there is a well, too. The youngest member of the household shouts down and… he gets a reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that our well had a padlock on it but the metal lid had seen better days.

      Delete
  14. Wait, you almost lost your bridge camera? How did I miss that post? Or did I just forget it? Having just lost a camera myself I'm going to have to go back and find it. The Lumix zooms pretty well, doesn't it?

    Great pictures. The beaver made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever ridden on a beaver yourself Steve? For the almost lost camera episode - go here:- https://beefgravy.blogspot.com/2026/07/awry.html

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful place for a holiday! I think they speak Catalan on Majorca. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mallorcans speak Mallorquín, which is a unique dialect of Catalan specific to the island. However, while I was there I spoke English!

      Delete
  16. You take a decent snap Neil, some great photos there. I've often considered doing the padlock thing but then wonder what the longevity of it would be. They had to remove thousands of them from the bridge in Bakewell as the weight was effecting the safety.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits