9 September 2026

Leftovers

 Just ten random pictures I have taken in the last month - but not posted before...
The Union Hotel, Nether Edge, Sheffield

Statue of Emmeline Pankhurst in Manchester. She was a leading light in the 
British suffragette movement - campaigning for women to get the vote.

Our Phoebe as a butterfly at Sewerby Park

The author of this blog with a Lego sabre toothed tiger at Sewerby Park

Cobbler's dummy on Ecclesall Road, Sheffield

The Path to Rawmarsh from Parkgate

Railway footbridge at Halfway

Phoebe in the old bearpit - Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Dock plants one evening in Bingham Park Woods, Sheffield

The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield - rising above the leafy suburb of Broomhill

And that's all for today folks!

21 comments:

  1. The designers of the bridge over the railway line have stolen your blog colour.
    The hospital is substantial. There must be lots of people feeling poorly in Sheffield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have another big general hospital in the city. It is called The Northern General.

      Delete
  2. They are all lovely, thank you. I love the Lego tiger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to have my picture taken with it as I am a Tigers supporter (Hull City).

      Delete
  3. My favourite is "The path to Rawmarsh from Parkgate".
    I like a photograph that leads the eye. What's down there, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might say that is a path that leads back to my roots - where my mother was raised by her grandparents in a mid-terrace house on Quarry Street, Rawmarsh. She would certainly have walked that path when she was a girl.

      Delete
  4. I am surprised that the railway bridge isn't covered in graffiti ! Is it a long way from habitation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is close to habitation Frances. Yorkshire yobs are not like Hertfordshire yobs tha knows lass!

      Delete
  5. Did you know that Emmeline Pankhurst's mother was Manx? It was her influence that introduced Emmeline to women's suffrage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I did not know that JayCee. Thanks for the tidbit.

      Delete
  6. Photos are the one second memories we capture of place. The last photo appeals to me. The church spire emphasising the large modern built block of flats behind. The composition is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's not flats Thelma, it's a general hospital - opened I believe in 1979.

      Delete
  7. Great photos as usual. MY favourite is also the path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That day I turned the corner from Scrooby Lane and saw that very sight in front of me. It stopped me in my tracks and I had to get my camera out promptly before the bashful sun slipped away behind the clouds again.

      Delete
    2. Apologies for the Daily Mail capitalization!

      Delete
  8. The Lego tiger is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful collect, evidence of a life well lived in a place you love, surrounded by people you love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll leave a pair of winter boots at the Cobbler's to get heeled & re-soled.

    Then I'll cross the footbridge, and sit in the station drinking my bottle of
    lime & lemon water ; railway platforms are agreeable places for reflection.

    Then I'll walk to the Union Hotel for a pint of Best Bitter (I'm a drouthy man)
    and a spot of Dinner. My mother used to say that I'm easily pleased when it
    comes to food, not fussy, so I'll have whatever the Chef recommends.

    And I'll take from my shoulder bag my biography of Emmeline Pankhurst by
    June Purvis. Emily was a very great English campaigner like Marie Stopes,
    Jenny Lee (Labour minister and wife of Aneurin Bevan) and Barbara Castle.

    I'll look up from my dinner and see a familiar character enter the Lounge.
    I believe his name is Neil. He gives me a friendly nod and sits in the other corner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phoebe as a butterfly is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That hospital looks a bit like the Royal Free here. NHS construction!

    That's the nicest looking photo of dock, my gardening nemesis, that I think I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cobblers dummy could be your brother.🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits