5 September 2026

Negatives

When the Blogger comments glitch happened earlier this week, I asked Google what was wrong and their Gemini AI facility  anticipated other, related questions including, "What  is the dark side of blogging?"

This is what Gemini coughed up and it may be of interest to other bloggers who like me are also actively steeped in the blogosphere and blog production.

⦿

The dark side of blogging involves hidden mental, social, and professional pressures that come with sharing your life and work publicly online.

Burnout and Time Demands
Constant content pressure: You must keep publishing new material to stay relevant, which can drain your creative energy.
No real vacations: Taking a break often means losing readers, search engine traffic, and income.
Hidden workload: Writing is only a small part of the job; research, editing, promotion, and technical upkeep take up most of your hours.

Mental Health and Obsession
Metrics addiction: Constantly checking stats, page views, and follower counts can become an unhealthy obsession.
Harassment and trolls: Public writing invites negative comments, harsh criticism, and unwanted direct messages.
Fear of judgment: Knowing friends, family, or strangers might judge your opinions can cause chronic anxiety.

Impact on Personal Life
Strained relationships: You may spend less time with loved ones because you are always glued to a screen or thinking about your next post.
Loss of privacy: Blurring the line between your private life and public brand means past statements are permanently archived and searchable.
Trapped by past views: Publicly stating an opinion locks your identity into that view, making it harder to change your mind later.

⦿

I  can recognise some elements of all of this but really if these effects  were  obvious and burdensome, it would surely be time to give up blogging and take up a safer, less public hobby such as watching paint dry or counting coins.

6 comments:

  1. Never mind the Negatives. Look at the Positives.
    December 2015 : You curated an old ramshackle railway freight carriage,
    out on the windswept moors of West Sheffield.

    Many's a night, abed in Glasgow, I dreamt of that railway carriage.
    I was tucked up in a sleeping bag, as I once slept out on Glastonbury Tor.

    Slowly silently now the moon/ Walks the night in her silver shoon ;
    This way and that she peers and sees/ Silver fruit upon silver trees.

    Walter De La Mare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you dream of the railway carriage do a couple of willing ewes join you to roast mutton?

      Delete
  2. I am not sure if most of that applies to purely amateur bloggers like ourselves. In my early days days of blogging, I did go out on a limb with my negative views about large, especially black, SUVs. Now, every second driver has one and its only those who don't have them agree with my views about them.
    Politics is a touchy one, but as long you keep it reasonable, it is not usually such an issue, and you do attract people with similar views to your own.
    Now, off to look at December 2015, and a freight carriage. Do you pay Haggerty to promote your blog posts of the past?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mr Haggerty" is a figment of my imagination, brought to life in the comments section to intrigue and baffle other visitors.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I am not one who constantly checks stats, page views and follower counts. That's obsessive behaviour and just not me. I'm not one to be crying "why don't they like me?" I'm just happy to have people read my stuff and leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we remember how it all started when nobody came and then gradually we were noticed. That's kind of nice isn't it? Gives you a rosy glow.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits