16 June 2023

Alone

I am home alone. Every year Shirley drives off somewhere for what she calls "The Cousins Weekend". She is one of many cousins and it's nice to meet up with some of them when it's not for example the occasion of a funeral.

Late this morning I decided to go for a six mile country walk in the vicinity of Bamford - a village in The Peak District. The area is very familiar to me. By a sheep pasture, I took several pictures of the same twin lambs. My favourite image is the one shown above which I have titled "Me and My Shadow"
Above you can see a stone bell-mouth in one corner of Ladybower Reservoir. Some people refer to these structures as plug holes because they do in fact serve that function when the reservoir waters are at full capacity.

Below - I was looking across the valley of The River Derwent below Ladybower. The rocks on the ridge are known as Bamford Edge where I have also rambled. You get great views from up there. I liked the larger cloud and made sure  that I caught it whole when looking through my camera's viewfinder.
In the small village of Thornhill - population 154 - I noticed that their old iconic phone kiosk now houses a defibrillator - like so many rural phone boxes in this country. It is the fashion but I wonder how many of these life-saving instruments have ever been used.
I stumbled across an area called "The Quaker Community Gardens" and within spotted this idyllic allotment - some distance from any house. To the right were small sections for vegetables and the plot seemed to be much loved. Somebody devotes many peaceful hours to the gardening here.
In Bamford I treated myself to a pint of bitter shandy and a packet of plain crisps (American: chips) in the community-run village pub. There I read a chapter from a book by TV presenter Dan Walker about elderly Margaret Keenan who in December 2020 was the first person in the world to receive a COVID vaccine.

And finally let's go back to the two lambs I showed at the top. You can see them in clearer context now but you can't hear them. They were saying, "Ma-ay! Ma-ay!" which means, "What are you looking at big boy?"

38 comments:

  1. Splendid photography and a nice tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to have that thumbs up from a guy who once interviewed John Wayne!

      Delete
  2. Is there a UFO behind the White Cloud or could it be snow ?
    The Aliens are on their way and their intentions are not wholly honourable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should we lock up our daughters? I have heard that aliens are randy buggers.

      Delete
    2. Did you read Fred Hoyle's The Black Cloud as a schoolboy ?
      Hoyle was a Yorkshireman and a professor of science, I believe.
      A sequel could have been titled The White Cloud.

      Delete
  3. That is one of the most beautiful "plug holes." A phrase I never thought I'd utter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that Carlos has heard it many times.

      Delete
  4. It must be exciting to see the plug hole working. I wonder in which direction the water will swirl.
    Black faced sheep always look that bit cuter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen it when the reservoir is full. One would not want to be sucked down there!

      Delete
  5. Those lambs are precious. I'm quite impressed with the first photo of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QUITE impressed? I will take that any day Kelly.

      Delete
  6. Great walk today. Sheep can be incredibly noisy and just won't shut up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are understandably nervous creatures.

      Delete
  7. A lovely ramble through some spectacular countryside. I love the bell-mouth and that cherished little garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came along River but why were you puffing and panting?

      Delete
    2. Out of shape after years in my chair.

      Delete
  8. That looks like a very attractive place for a walk. I imagine that allotment would be a very peaceful place to sit and contemplate life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful collection of photos, Neil! I had to look twice at the first picture before I spotted the twin. The bell-mouth is fascinating - like the entrance to a different world underwater. My favourite has to be the allotment. Who would not love to spend many peaceful hours in such a place? (Well, I can think of a few people who do NOT love peace and quiet, but I believe the majority of us do.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did it remind you of your parents' allotment?

      Some thrill-seekers have been down the bellmouth to film the insides of the reservoir drainage system. It makes me shake just to imagine that.

      Delete
    2. It did, in a way, although it looks different. My Dad never had a greenhouse like the one in the picture, and he grew different flowers and vegetables. But it was also a place where peace and quiet reigned (unless the neighbours had visitors), and my Dad lovingly cared for it until his health started to decline.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely walk - so enjoyable for you and for us. Excellent photos as usual, I really couldn't choose a stand-out favourite, but poppies are amongst my favourite flowers and your photo of them is stunning, so I'll go for that one.
    Reading your comments about Shirley's get together with some of her cousins, I wonder what that's like? I only have three cousins and one of those lives in Oz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be like a fish market Carol with all the fish wives gabbling away. My mother's brother had five daughters but I did not meet them until about ten years ago. Then it was kind of too late for bonding.

      Delete
  11. I love those Poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What peaceful photos. Fibrillators cost money, which is ongoing annually. Our village wanted one but the vote always went against. But apparently they are getting one, it will be fixed to the pub wall. Somehow appropiate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is that 99% of the population have no idea how to use one and certainly don't want to be reading instructions during a crisis.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful photos and great narrative, thank you. I had to scroll back up and look at the first photo,

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realize that the first photo had two lambs in it! I am not very observant.
    What a bright, sunny day you had for your ramble. Beautiful photos, of course.
    The defibrillators in the old phone boxes seem very odd. Is someone supposed to run down to the phone box and get one if someone goes into cardiac arrest a mile away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People having heart attacks should plan to have them right next to the old phone box.

      Delete
  15. I,too, had to look again at the first photo to see the twins. A great shot!

    I'm sure the defibrillators are rarely used, but it's nice to know they're there, just in case. Better than a rusting hulk of a phone box that just houses empty beer cans. (As many do in London.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised that there are any left in London.

      Delete
  16. Cool photos, Neil. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because I am cool Ellen! So cool I feel like a popsicle!

      Delete
  17. Such a pretty little garden allotment! I love those flowers. And the twins..wow! I had to look a second time to see them.

    Enjoy your time alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could get used to this solitude. I am not complaining Jennifer.

      Delete
  18. What lovely photos but I do worry about your obsession with sheep. I'm sure the local shepherds worry as well. Are you sure you're not scottish?

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits