21 June 2023

Research

I found all four of these images on Trip Advisor. They were taken by previous visitors to the VOI Aranella resort south of Syracuse in Sicily. Checking out reviews and photos on Trip Advisor can be a very helpful thing to do before you travel somewhere. However, I am always very wary of reviews posted by people who have only ever left that one review. I mean - why?  Single reviews tend to gush with positivity and praise.

The low rise nature of the accommodation appealed to us. See above. The units are well spread out over a rural campus of ten acres.

The resort is close to the sea. The beach below will be about five hundred yards from our door...
And even closer,  by a rocky cove, the resort people have erected lounging platforms with steps down into the sea. We must remember our diving shoes - bought for previous sunshine holidays...

Our reservation includes "Half Board" - breakfast and evening meal. Here's an images of a desserts table taken by a previous guest....

We will be flying out of Manchester Airport on Friday afternoon - not at some ungodly hour in the morning. However, I am guessing that we won't reach the VOI Arenella until the evening dinner service is done so we may end up going to bed hungry. Snacks in our suitcases should help us to avoid starvation.

21 comments:

  1. Have a fantastic time; from the looks of that spread, food will not be an issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that looks like it's going to be a great trip! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a lovely time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks beautiful. I would eat most of those desserts! I'm very tempted by buffet style offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your time in Sicily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bon appetit! And I don't care if you AREN'T French!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to reading all about it Mr P. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks the place for a perfect holiday - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you won't be using Yorkshire Airlines (Hale and Pace sketch) YP? I look forward to reading and seeing photos of your trip. next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That place looks gorgeous and so close to the sea! I'd be in heaven. and I'd probably eat far too many of those delicious desserts/snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trip Advisor reviews can be very helpful but unfortunately there are rather too many reviews that focus on trivial matters. There are such complaining citizens in at least two geographic areas of the world but I won't name either, needless to say almost that they are not in my country nor yours.

    Anyway, where you are staying looks delightful and I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bon voyage. Can you smuggle some of those desserts back for me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't even imagine that sort of dessert spread! It looks even better than our local Chow Time buffet!
    Seriously, the water looks gorgeous. Y'all have a wonderful time and I can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I gotta admit, I never read reviews. I find that I'm not very particular and will mostly be pleased with almost any place! (As long as it doesn't have bedbugs. I draw the line there.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you two have a terrific time and the weather is great, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a wonderful trip. The table of desserts looks delicious. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy! Like Steve, I don't look at the reviews.
    Did you manage to read some of my "Souvenirs from Sicily"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did Meike. You were pretty brave as a young woman to embark upon those Sicilian adventures and the island clearly meant a lot to you back then - perhaps it still does in a wistful kind of way. Do you think you will ever go back - perhaps with OK?

      Delete
    2. Hmmm… not sure. I would like to, but I know I would find things changed very much. And since I am fluent in Italian (and Sicilian, which is not just a dialect or accent), and O.K. does not speak the language at all, it would have to be me who‘d be doing all the talking, organising and asking. Not so keen on that!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits