29 September 2023

Recollection

Eleven years ago, I was walking near Pilsley in Derbyshire. As I recall, it was a lovely day at the very end of September. Sunny spells played tag with the clouds and all seemed well with the world. As usual, I plotted a circular course, unsure of what sights I might see. Like a technicolour feature film without a plot. Just a beginning and an end.

When rambling, I am always drawn to abandoned farm buildings. They add a melancholy beauty to the landscape. Like old churches, they speak poetically of past times and of the now silent rural workers who once plodded along the same lanes.
Recently, I have been somewhat incapacitated - confined to barracks as they say so there has been a hiatus in my walking activity. In such circumstances, it is such a tonic to look upon the "inward eye" that is "the bliss of solitude" and recall past walks with the assistance of photo folders stored here on this aging personal computer.
Above, a man in a blue sweater walks up the lane towards Pilsley passing a stone cowshed with warped roof timbers. When it was constructed all of the materials would have been sourced close by and no building inspectors would have come along to stamp their  official approval.

Before too long, I will be out there again finding new paths to plod while relishing the gifts that walking provides. It's so simple. One foot in front of the other and I shall do it for as long as I am able.

16 comments:

  1. What you do best is describe the area. Next you gave a history. You make your walk interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you, as those beknighted New Yorkers are wont to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first and last photos are postcard worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love seeing old ruins and wondering about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What stunning countryside. I agree those abandoned buildings have a majestic look about them

    ReplyDelete
  6. The British countryside is indeed beautiful and our photos always manage to capture the old which we have a secret hunger for. Actually I think there is a name for it - Hiraeth, a deep longing, a sense of sadness or a belonging to the land.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just been sitting with my coffee gazing at the last picture and wondering how many years, nay decades, is it since I walked in that sort of landscape. It's so different from Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YP, we shall all be so glad when you're finally feeling fit again.
    Interesting photos and I am particularly drawn to the building with the arched windows - it looks in good condition. In these days of solar panels, heat pumps, good insulation, etc., it would make a splendid off grid home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too, Neil, me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are feeling better soon, nothing beats being outside, nature heals our souls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Recollections of walks. Recollections of times past? You must be very old.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you are finding comfort in looking through photo folders as you recuperate. Which reminds me to encourage you to have some kind of backup system if you don't already. My computer bit the dust with no warning and my compter guru figures all my files got fried. All my photos, all my documents, all my memes I had saved (the horror!)... I wish I could turn back time and save them all to an external hard drive. Hope you are feeling better each day, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been unable to go on my walks lately as my back is acting up. Oh, getting old can really suck, Neil! Hope you feel well enough to get out soon. Thanks for sharing these lovely views. I love those countrysides with the old stone walls and buildings,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh please do keep walking, and telling/showing us your wanders. I hope you have a back-up of the photo archive. I have has a couple of drive failures over the years, lost 6 months work one time when I had become complacent about back-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have no doubt you will be out there again soon! Meanwhile, enjoy your photos. It's probably a good opportunity to refresh your memory of past walks.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits