1 October 2023

Weekend

It was a good weekend. My old friend, Tony, invited me over to Beverley in the very heart of East Yorkshire. It's where I went to school and where Tony now lives with his second wife, Pauline.

We drove into the nearby city of Hull. The team I have supported for sixty years were playing Plymouth Argyle. But Tony had not only bought me a match ticket, he had paid for a "prestige" package that involved a lunch, free drinks, great seats next to the directors' box  and so on.
High Esk Lake  by The River Hull

At halftime, we looked up at the big screen and a  digital birthday greeting came on wishing me a happy 70th birthday "from Tony".  I have waited for fame all my life and now I had it. Of course the crowd cheered wildly when they saw my name.

Though Hull City deserved to win, we ended up drawing the match with Plymouth. The final score was 1-1.
The River Hull north of Hull Bridge

Back in Beverley, we visited Nellie's. Its real name is "The White Horse" and it is my favourite pub in the whole world. Right next to St Mary's Church, it is an authentic  Victorian pub in which time has stood still. I first went in there when I was seventeen - 53 years ago. It is little changed.

On Sunday morning, in spite of the inclement weather forecast, we  drove out of the old market town to undertake a four mile walk east of   The River Hull and it was on this walk that I snapped the attached pictures.
Cattle by The River Hull at Arram Carrs

25 comments:

  1. That was a great birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, happy birthday Mr. Pudding! I'm glad you had a good weekend with your friend. I looked up The White Horse, what a beautiful old building. Do you remember it being built?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS we say in England - You cheeky mare!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful birthday surprise and happy birthday. I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elsie. My birthday isn't until next weekend.

      Delete
  4. A wonderful early birthday present for you, and although your team didn‘t win this time, they didn‘t lose, either.
    You must have been so relieved and happy to be out and about again after your illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I had been out of action for nine days - hardly leaving the house.

      Delete
  5. Perfect birthday treat for you, happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, you only had a soft drink in Nellie's when you your were 17.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a kind friend to help you celebrate your birthday with such a lovely surprise. A most enjoyable walk too. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were far to busy having fun to post anything on the 30th. And I thought you were mortal in hospital. But what a stunning surprise birthday gift! How good and kind is Tony. It seems like Mrs Pudding should have been with you for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a way to celebrate your 70th birthday birthday. Many congratulations YP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are famous, your work has been read millions of times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great day!

    I'm trying to imagine circumstances in which you would not think Hull City deserved to win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely outing after you have been so ill. Kind friend indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does sound like just about the most perfect weekend possible for Mr. P. How thoughtful of Tony!
    I have to say that those cows might be some of the happiest of cattle in the entire world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't remember the first bar I went into so in 20 years, I'm guessing I still won't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice surprise birthday treat! Hope the year is filled with more fun adventures for you, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very happy 70th birthday, Mr Pudd! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday and welcomed to the 70+ group! I hadn't realised you are only 2 years younger than me. What a birthday, though, with your name on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No pictures of the White Horse, aka Nellie's?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A friend of mine welcomed me to the US with a message on a screen at a sports game. I wasn't at the game but I cried when I saw the photos. Such a special moment.

    Happy, happy birthday to you for next week, Neil :)

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits