28 February 2023

Musketeers


Today I was not alone when I instructed Clint to drive to Buxton - the highest market town in England. It is around thirty two miles west of Sheffield. There is a lot to be said about Buxton and its history but I will leave most of that for another day.

Riding along in the South Korean chariot were two Michaels. That's Mick in the middle and Mike on the right. We have been quizzing together for a mere twenty five years and we had a pot of  winnings to spend from our recent victories.

The other member of our team is or was Danny on the left. Just before Christmas he moved to Buxton with the new woman in his life who works in and around nearby Stockport. The Jolly Musketeers - Aramis, Athos and Porthos are standing outside Danny's new house and the picture was snapped by D'Artagnan Pudding.

We met in "The Wye Bridge" public house and spent half of our quiz bounty on meals and drinks. Afterwards, Danny took us to a rather wondrous place - The Devonshire Dome. Though I have been to Buxton many times I did not know of the dome's existence until today.

Once part of The Devonshire Royal Hospital, it was constructed in the 1850's and at that time was the biggest free-standing dome in the world. Bigger than The Pantheon in Rome or the dome of St Peter's in the same city or the dome of St Paul's Cathedral in London.

Now under the stewardship of The University of Derby,  The Devonshire Dome is not open freely to the public. as the entire building is now occupied by students, academics and associated offices and businesses.

Probably the most amazing thing about the dome is the echo. I have never before experienced such resonance. When you stand in the very middle of the floor beneath  the dome's highest point, your voice is supernaturally  amplified. You only have to speak normally and your own voice wraps you in itself. Of course our hero D'Artagnan had to sing as well as speak and my voice seemed to fill the void. As I say - it was amazing.

Then we visited another pub before coffees were served in Danny's new abode. It was approaching six o'clock when Clint honked his horn rather impatiently and we motored back to Sheffield in darkness and drizzle. It had been a grand day out and in case you are wondering I only drank one pint of beer - Worthington's bitter with my meal at "The Wye Bridge".  

27 comments:

  1. Wonderful picture of the Dome and sky with cirrus clouds.
    Bigger than St Paul's in London or St Peter's in Rome ?

    It got me thinking of Echo and Narcissus (Wikipedia).
    If you watch the 1951 movie A Place in the Sun, it is really that myth.
    Elizabeth Taylor was Echo, Montgomery Clift was Narcissus.
    There is even a bird with a spooky echo-ey cry and Shelley Winters is drowned in the lake out on a boat with Monty.

    On my own walk last week I passed the Pyramid at Anderston (Wiki).
    Not as grand as the Dome in Derby but a brutalist post-war building topped by a green copper construction.
    Once a church and now a community centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you walked like an Egyptian as you passed the Pyramid at Anderston. And yes The Devonshire Dome, named after the Dukes of Devonshire who occupy Chatsworth House, had the biggest span of any dome in the world until 1902 when it was overtaken.

      Delete
  2. Do they ever have choral events in the dome? I am reminded of visiting a cave in Tasmania many years ago and one of the other tourists broke into Nessun Dorma (he was a trained singer not some uncouth lout). The acoustics were amazing. My spine still tingles at the memory all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear that I am not an uncouth lout! I have the voice of an angel.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I would like to hear my voice echoed back at me. I think I sound terrible and I certainly can't sing for my supper. Danny's new house is nice, it has a "Christmas Tree" window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were starving I guess you would sing "Waltzing Matilda" at the top of your voice to earn your supper!

      Delete
  4. If the dome is not freely open to the public, how did you lot get to see it? If it isn't used for performances it is rather wasted place with such good acoustics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At weekends it is used for weddings or collectors/crafts/antiques fairs. We got in because Danny is a member of the Freemasons and gave the security guard a funny handshake.

      Delete
  5. This is truly amazing. I had no idea that place even exists! (The dome, I mean - Buxton as such is a familiar name from many a water bottle.)
    If the question ever comes up at our pub quiz, "Where was the biggest free-standing dome in the world in the 1850s", I will get that point for my team.
    It sounds like a great day out, and I am looking forward to more photos and detail about Buxton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Buxton is the highest town in England. I have travelled the Cat and Fiddle road from Macclesfield to Buxton many times. I'm jealous about the Worthington bitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make you more jealous by telling you that "The Wye Bridge" is a Wetherspoons pub!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a grand day out YP! The Devonshire Dome looks impressive - what song did you sing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No offense, but Mick looks a bit like Vladimir Putin's brother. The smiling one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure to tell Mick because it will boost his confidence.

      Delete
  9. Others have said it before me, a great day out with great friends. What could be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you wouldn't want it to happen every day but yes, yesterday was a great day that we all enjoyed.

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a very, very fine day. And as always, you have taught us a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Mick and Mike have had significant health issues of late so it was good to drive them over to Buxton and Danny is still getting used to living over there. I am sure he gets down about it. We all had a lovely day.

      Delete
  11. So is your quiz team down to the 3 of you now or did you replace Danny?
    Sounds like you enjoyed your day and thanks for the info on the Dome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come and live in Sheffield Ellen, you can replace Danny in our quiz team. Danny sometimes comes over specially for the quiz and then drives back. I should warn you that the other fellows sometimes swear like sailors in a storm.

      Delete
  12. I looked up the dome on google, as I do, to find it was originally built as a stable. Nice stable. I saw photos of the interior, wow, very beautiful.
    Glad you had a nice visit with friends, they're so important to our wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dukes of Devonshire were fabulously wealthy. I wonder if they paid any tax!

      Delete
  13. I have never heard of the Devonshire Dome, either! What did the students and academics think of your singing voice?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only one beer, yes, but considering Buxton is "the highest market town in England", what else did you consume?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like a great day out

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits