5 April 2023

Eaton

At Cranfleet Lock

Okay... this is a continuation of yesterday's blogpost. I couldn't title that one "Long Eaton" because of my one word rule so yesterday's post was "Long" and this one is titled "Eaton". Nothing to do with the posh school for posh boys near Windsor (Eton) and nothing to do with "eating" either.

After four or five miles I decided to halt for refreshment. I had reached Cranfleet Lock on the short Cranfleet Canal and there ahead of me, above the lock was an unoccupied picnic bench calling my name.

What a pleasant place for a rest. I took off my rucksack and pulled out my water flask along with the sandwich I had prepared before leaving home - containing slices of spicy German sausage and cucumber. It was a peaceful spot and a silver-haired couple were in the process of maneuvering their wine-coloured narrowboat back into The River Trent. The short  Cranfleet Canal was built in the mid-nineteenth century to bypass a weir on the river.

Yes. There I was enjoying a leisurely if frugal lunch when I heard a motorbike behind me. The rider brought his shiny  Japanese machine on to the concrete platform where my bench was situated. He took off his helmet, untied a  black plastic bag containing his lunch and came over to my bench.

Sign for river traffic and a shrine to a departed husband, father and grandfather

He didn't even ask if he could join me. He just sat down and began talking in a broad Nottinghamshire accent. I had the feeling that the fellow must have struck up many such conversations with complete strangers in past times. His name was Dave and he was seventy five.

On The Trent Valley Way

Bristly grey hairs emerged from Dave's nostrils and lug holes. His slightly milky eyes were blue and he had unusually high cheek bones. It wasn't all one way traffic but God could that fellow ramble from one subject  to the next. His recent visit to Melbourne House in the Derbyshire village of Melbourne. Catching a train to Sheffield with his friend when they were both barely eleven years old. His nephew's ongoing holiday in America. They are currently in San Francisco. "I wouldn't want to see Alcatraz!" said Dave. His motorbikes. Quarrying stone and gravel. His sister. I will say this for Dave, he was energised by life and experience. I couldn't ever imagine him being bored.

I have always been a good listener and many is the time that people like Dave have latched on to me simply because I listen and do not have the heart to tell them to bugger off.

Three times I told Dave.that I needed to continue with my walk or I would never get back to Long Eaton in time for my train home. In the end I had to stand up, put my rucksack back on and simply go with Dave still rabbiting on as I continued along the riverside path.

Panoramic view of Sawley Lock and The River Trent

35 comments:

  1. I've had similar experiences. These guys have no control whatsoever. However, your walk was just great as far as I was concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is best to be a little wary of complete strangers. You don't know who you are taking to at first.

      Delete
  2. Surprised you didn't feel the need to disavow any link between Long Eaton and the other (also posh) places called Eaton associated with the Grosvenor family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long Eaton is certainly not a posh place. There was a lace making industry there and that's how the town grew.

      Delete
  3. People like Dave who don't seem to pick up on nuances can be very hard to offend. He will be used to conversations being stopped by someone leaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave him all the prompts but he was not paying much attention to them.

      Delete
  4. At least Dave was a nice person. I wish Australia had little villages and plenty of walking paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our network of paths is one of England's best treasures though we rarely shout about it.

      Delete
  5. What a great spot for a picnic, indeed - except for the unwelcome company. Not entirely unwelcome, I guess, but someone like Dave can be so exhausting! My boss is like that on his "high" days (he has manic and depressed phases and, thankfully, knows himself and his condition well enough to tell people around him in what phase he currently is and that we can always tell him to bugger off).
    I wonder whether Dave is so lonely that he seeks out people to talk to, or simply a chatty fellow who has no sense of empathy for whoever happens to be near enough to start a conversation.
    Anyway, your photos are beautiful, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind a dose of Dave but if I had not broken away I might still be there now!

      Delete
  6. I would love to live in that little white cottage by the canal, although Dave roaring up and down would make me cross. And you must never forget, a public bench is always a public bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a canal Thelma, it is The River Trent. You might not like to see the water rising in an especially wet winter.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like Dave was lonely. When you have no one at home to talk to you tend to chat more to strangers. I know the feeling only too well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I had known, I could have sent Dave down the M1 to see you. You could have trimmed his bristles!

      Delete
  8. It wasn't me talking to you YP. I would talk to a scarecrow if it started the conversation. It looks a great walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Several years ago I watched many episodes of a British series that dealt with "narrow boats," and those words may have been the title as well. It followed a guy who retired, bought a narrow boat and traveled around England. It seemed like such a fine way to spend retirement with the exception of navigating some of the long one way tunnels which seemed terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canal people are like a sub-culture in this country. They live for their narrow boats and some live on them permanently.

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos and another nice day to enjoy your walk. Well, except for Dave, but at least he didn't bore on about his ailments (worse than anyone else had to endure) and his last op. (the surgeon had never seen anything like it!), something most of us have had to endure at some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I have had one or two of that type of encounter CG!

      Delete
  11. You could have invited Dave home with you for tea so that he could finish his conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a children's book called "The Tiger Who Came To Tea"... "The Dave Who Came To Tea" would be a more troubling sequel!

      Delete
  12. Daves or Davids, tend to like to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew a woman like that. You absolutely could NOT politely get away from her. She never took a breath. You just had do to as you did- get up and walk off with her still talking. She never seemed to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the condition is called verbal diarrhoea or diarrhea if you happen to be American!

      Delete
  14. The simple white house by the willow is calling my name. Just don't tell Dave I bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He sounds a lonely sort of chap to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave him half an hour of my limited time but he wanted more.

      Delete
  16. It wasn't me, either. I don't have a shiny Japanese machine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dave's probably still talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If talking was an Olympic event, Dave would probably win a gold medal.

      Delete
  18. Oh man, I used to live next door to a guy exactly like that and I always had to just walk away. He lived alone and I think he was lonely. I wonder why. ;^/

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits