26 April 2023

Seagull

This is a genuine  job advertisement...
Seagull Deterrent/Visitor Services Assistant
At Blackpool Zoo it goes without saying that we love all animals! And as a seaside resort, Blackpool is not short of seagulls. However, the seagulls are proving to be a bit of a nuisance when it comes to trying to steal food from our visitors and our animal enclosures!

We need to do what we can to keep the seagulls away from our main visitor dining areas, which is why we are looking for a team of people to join our Visitor Services team as ‘Seagull Deterrents’

We are looking for people that are:
  • Visitor Focused
  • Friendly
  • Energetic
  • Flexible
  • Outgoing – as you need to be comfortable wearing a bird costume!
This role will be offered with variable seasonal hours.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in, email your cover letter and CV to recruitment@blackpoolzoo.org.uk.

⦿
Dear Blackpool Zoo,

I wish to be considered for the role of Seagull Deterrent/Visitor Services Assistant at Blackpool Zoo. If appointed I am sure that I will be able to make a positive contribution to the work of the entire zoo team - constantly improving the experience of visitors.

When I was a small child, I was attacked by a seagull on the seafront at Scarborough. I was sitting in my pushchair innocently eating a vanilla cone. It was very traumatic and the screeching seagull stole my ice cream. Ever since that day, I have sought to exact my revenge and the advertised role offers me a unique chance to achieve it.

In my view, seagulls are the scourge of every seaside town in this country. They steal fish and chips, frighten children, poop all over the place and wake residents at ungodly hours. They are little more than feathered muggers that have become more brazen as the decades have passed by. It's time that we fought back and got rid of the blighters.

At school I was known as "Dead Eye" because of my skill with a catapult. It is a talent that has never left me and with the zoo's permission I will happily use it upon the seagulls - gradually reducing their numbers. Their fresh carcasses can then be fed to carnivores such as the lions and the hyenas. Helpfully, this will reduce the feed bill in trying economic times.

May I just say, that I do not much like the "seagull"(!) costume pictured with the ad and would prefer to make my own XL outfit, covered with genuine feathers and shaped in the form of an aggressive herring gull. I hope this would be acceptable to you should you wish to appoint me.

Yours sincerely,
Yorkshire Pudding

39 comments:

  1. The first thing I noticed was the terrible, horrible, hot, orange plastic "uniform". Are they kidding? That may or may not scare the terror birds away but it surely will be off putting to the zoo's visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not even a seagull outfit - it's an eagle!

      Delete
  2. A job wearing that outfit sounds like a level of hell to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What outfit would you prefer Ed? A groundhog?

      Delete
    2. My own skin would be scared enough!

      Delete
  3. I think you might rock that outfit and save the zoo from the "feathered muggers."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support and encouragement Bob!

      Delete
  4. That news made it on the Edmonton news this morning. Granville Island, in Vancouver, has a terrible time with gulls as well. A few years ago, when we were there, I bought a lovely big cinnamon bun and then walked outside onto a patio to enjoy it. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw huge, white wings and the seagull grabbed my bun, right off of my plate. Naturally I yelled Fuck! very loudly, offending all of the small children and their mothers nearby:)
    I think this might just be the job for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody will recognise me inside my XL herring gull suit!

      Delete
  5. Let us know if you get the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They rejected me on account of my age. At 69 you are good for nothing except sitting in the sunshine and rabbiting on about the good old days.

      Delete
    2. Probably all for the best.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. To tell you the truth I think I am rather too old to be a seagull impersonator.

      Delete
  7. Rats of the sky. I wish you well in your application. I fear though, that they might not take kindly to your brilliant method of reducing the cursed population and supplementing the diet of the zoo creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on how much they are able to think outside the box... or the cage.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to rain on your party but there aren't any seagulls. There are gulls but not seagulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that before but I choose to ignore it.

      Delete
  9. Is the eagle costume actually supposed to scare the seagulls away, or to amuse visitors? I honestly don't get it.
    Anyway, I imagine Blackpool Zoo will receive at least a few applications like yours, some of them serious, some of them not. It would be interesting to learn how many seagull chasers they eventually employ, and how successful they will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The costume in the ad shows an eagle - not a seagull! The job is multi-functional.

      Delete
    2. That's what I said - "Is the EAGLE costume..." :-D

      Delete
  10. I believe they take on older 'greeters' at B&Q, a much more dignified job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Welcome to B&Q and give us your money! Have a nice day!"

      Delete
  11. I hope Blackpool seagulls get better paid than the donkeys on the beach YP. What's a Blackpool donkey get for its dinner? Half an hour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that there are seagulls in Blackpool that peck donkeys' eyes out and attack small children in screeching flocks before flying home to their landfill sites.

      Delete
  12. I can't wait to hear about your first day, Yorkshire Pudding. Do let us know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get the job first. I applied to be an Easter Bunny at Tesco but they said I was over-qualified.

      Delete
  13. I'd probably scare the children and attract the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a daily shower can work wonders Mr Penguin.

      Delete
  14. Dead Eye with a catapult the job is yours! A wide-angle shotgun might be another option, you could get half a dozen at once that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to know what you are talking about Ms River.

      Delete
  15. Lol, a couple of years ago my husband didn't even get to get one lick of his vanilla cone before a gange of seagulls converged on him, knocked the cone out of his hand and proceeded to devour it. I don't like ice cream so haven't been subjected to 'cone mugging' but I had a chip stolen out of my very hand by a seagull as I walked along the prom chatting with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why can't they do what gulls are meant to do - go sea fishing and scavenging on the shore? Many have made their homes inland - often around landfill sites.

      Delete
  16. Wonder how much it pays? And do they have to hold their arms out like that? Seems tiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even think you might get the job ahead of me Steve!

      Delete
  17. Excellent application letter YP. Never mind, if they turn you down, with that costume you might be able to get a job at a cut-price Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your support means a lot Carol. I feel that my self-esteem has been given a massive boost. Thank you.

      Delete
  18. When did "poop" sneak into your idiolect?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Supplementary comment to the previous: https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2017/02/poo-poop.html

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits