10 May 2023

Photograph

Every day over at the Geograph website, a new image is picked to be "The Picture of The Day". That has been my honour on several occasions including today. I was pleased to note that a picture I took in January 2022 had been selected.

I remember that day pretty well. It was mild and sunny for the end of January and so I headed out  west of Sheffield to The Derwent Valley. I blogged about that walking excursion here.

This was the image I contributed to Geograph  though I didn't include it in the blogpost:-

As you can see, water from the reservoir behind the dam wall was overlapping it. To the left, waterboard workers were safely burning off unruly undergrowth - hence the smoke. I guess that when you are responsible for an invaluable water supply, it is vital that you maintain the edges of the reservoir as well as monitoring the water itself.

I thought that the swirling smoke in this image suggested that a cloud had fallen from the sky. The map of Great Britain and Ireland at the top shows you the location of this dam - right in the heart of the island of Britain.

21 comments:

  1. It's very dramatic, with that high curved wall of the dam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light felt just right at that moment,

      Delete
  2. Good day to you, Yorkshire Pudding. Thank you for stopping by my blog and saying hello. I apologize for the letter confusion. I think I cleared it up but I was just repurposing a letter written by a very funny lady. Looking at your blogorama, I see a few familiar names. Anyway, glad to finally cross paths with you and I hope you are well. Winning photo of the day was well-deserved as it is quite a lovely picture. The smoke definitely looks like a cloud and that would have been my guess until I read your explanation. Have a good one and I hope to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem like a very well-mannered fellow Mr Shife and of course manners maketh the man. I appreciate your return visit.

      Delete
  3. Well done! How old is the dam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Construction began in 1902 but the reservoir was not fully functional until 1916.

      Delete
  4. You can rightly be proud of the picture and of being the photographer for Photo of the Day.
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind support is always appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Great picture, the Geograph people have chosen well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I was pretty pleased with that one.

      Delete
  6. Perhaps the smoke is the ghost of the Dambusters plane YP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that that blew away eighty years ago Dave!

      Delete
  7. That's a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many stones, each one selected, cut and placed by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a terrific photo and a well-deserving one for photo of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice picture! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting photo YP., it's an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, Neil!
    I think about the men that worked on that dam. What a huge job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very atmospheric

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! It is a beautiful picture! So much going on in that one picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a dam fine photo, YP!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits