27 May 2023

Brush

Up the garden, we have an old sweeping brush. Phoebe seems to think that it belongs to her and nobody else is allowed to handle it. "Mine!" she snaps or "It's Phoebe's brush!" as she clenches it with a vice-like grip.

She had a sleep-over here last night  and was already in her cot when I  zoomed off to "Lidl" with my faithful South Korean companion - Clint. In the supermarket I spotted the child-sized sweeping brush shown above - which I bought for £4.99, thinking that it would be just right for Little Phoebe and much safer than handling an adult sized brush.

She was still awake when I got home and I showed her her new brush. She was delighted and set to straight away sweeping up her cot. I took it from her, promising she could use it today.

Downstairs, I noticed this on the shaft of the brush...
Oh dear! The sweeping brush is only intended for use by children over three years old. Phoebe is two years and four months old so by using the brush she would be endangering her life. Silly me! I hadn't realised this.

Lower down the shaft there are warnings in five languages - English, Danish, French, Dutch and German: "Warning: To be used under the direct supervision of an adult. Store out of reach of children under 3 years old. Observe the warning notices. In the event of non-compliance, injuries may occur... Do not leave the brush upside down!"

This all seems to be over the top to me. After all, it's a small brush we are talking about - not an axe or a sub-machine gun. Frances tells me that the lowest starting age for nearly all children's things appears to be 3+. We guess this excessive caution is  all to do with potential litigation.

I am happy to report that Phoebe used the 3+ brush this afternoon without any hiccoughs. She did not poke out one of Grandpa's eyes with it and she did not attempt to swallow it  - nor did she chase pigeons with it or whack our neighbour's cat - Bonkers.

34 comments:

  1. Is your neighbor's cat really called "Bonkers"? If so, I like it!

    If only Phoebe will be so interested in helping tidy up when she's a teenager! Haha. I expect she'll be a big help to her mother when the little sibling arrives, if not at first then shortly thereafter. Is she excited to be a big sister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the neighbour's cat is called Bonkers! Would I lie to you!

      We say to Feebs, "What's in mummy's tummy?" and she raises her voice excitedly, "It's a baby!"

      Delete
  2. Well you know- when you're dealing with genius grandchildren, it is safe to subtract a year from the recommended age of use.
    So say I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will apply your guidance as you are a more experienced grandparent than I am. Maybe they should have similar age guidance on lethal weapons... 120+ Not to be used by any adults under the age of 120 as improper use may result in death or serious injury requiring hospitalisation.

      Delete
  3. We can guess which litigious country inspired such warnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we can. The Central African Republic?

      Delete
  4. Litigation brings about some bizarre regulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warning. Living with a Micro Manager may extend your life by several years.

      Delete
  5. Phoebe is obviously a child of great intelligence to be able to manage a brush designed for an older child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girls need to be trained young. I plan to buy her a little bucket and a child-sized mop too.

      Delete
  6. Can I also see 'bruises' on the brush label, or is it a 'misused' word from another country. What a gallant Grandpa for buying his granddaughter a brush ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see bruises on the brush but you can see them on Phoebe following her fight with the brush.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear. Just make sure the neighbours don't report you to Social Services or Childline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving her a brush was rather like giving her a kitchen knife or a bottle of bleach.

      Delete
  8. One would think that most parents and grandparents are well able to judge what their child or grandchild can handle and what is appropriate for his or her age. Those warnings are probably as you say, to prevent litigation, and maybe useful for parents who are uncertain and need them as guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I was never in need of any guidance in relation to brushes. The same applies to buckets and spades. I just knew instinctively how to use them.

      Delete
  9. My kids used a lot of things over their age recommendation, I showed them how, when they were competent I left them to it. Kept an eye on them of course, but they learned early how to use things and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, household tools, cookware and the washing machine.

      Delete
  10. Who would have thought that a simple child's brush could carry so many warnings - it seems excessive. An axe or sub-machine gun probably carry less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More proof that we live in a mad world Carol!

      Delete
  11. Basil Brush would laugh at the stupidity of that label YP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the best things I bought for our grandchildren was a child-size red metal wheelbarrow. It's had loads of use, and is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet your masonary paint brush warned it was not to be used my anyone over tha age of 65.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whatever the warnings on the child-sized brush, your initial thought was probably right though - i.e. that she'd be safer with a smaller brush than with the old big one...

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I were the neighbors cat, I would steer clear of youngsters with brooms.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, dear. I remember the time that William was using a pick ax...I'm pretty sure he was older than three. Four, probably. There was no warning level, due to the fact that it was an old pick ax, made back in the day when people had sense.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too many people suing causes an excess of warning labels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The warnings are for american consumers:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is why I peel off any warning stickers and discard any manuals promptly without reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Scofflaws! Scofflaws in Sheffield, I say! Call out the guards!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did the older, adult sized brush have an age warning? maybe she should just use that for a bit longer

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's the lawyers talking, definitely. I like how they add that extra sentence for emphasis: "Observe the warning notices." Sheesh! Alright already!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits