2 October 2023

Sycamore

Hadrian's Wall was built under the instructions of the Roman emperor Hadrian. It stretched from The North Sea in the east to the Solway Firth in the west, covering some eighty four miles. It marked the very edge of The Roman Empire and was also intended to keep out unwanted visitors and warriors from the land we now call Scotland.

The wall rises and falls, clinging to the landscape in terrain that remains challenging to this day. It was an ambitious project that took around six years to complete but it did not function as intended for very many years. After Hadrian's death a new but less imposing wall was built further north called The Antonine  Wall.

I remind myself at this point that when I sat down to create this blogpost, I did not intend to write a potted history of Hadrian's Wall. That is just background context for my reflections upon a beautiful sycamore tree that hugged the wall at a point where the base  geology had formed a significant dip in the land.

They say that the tree was around three hundred years old. It was disease-free and had every prospect of thriving for another three hundred years. It had found a perfect niche - partly sheltered and well-watered. Lonesome but strong.

People loved that iconic tree. They felt connected to it and countless photos were taken at Sycamore Gap. Marriage proposals were made there and the tree even featured in the film "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".

And then in the dead of night just last week the tree was cut down with a chain saw. The tree crashed to the ground. People all over this kingdom shared a sense of sadness mingled with utter disbelief. Why would anyone do such a thing? 

A sixteen year old youth and a man in his sixties were arrested, charged  and later bailed. If they have any reasons to explain their vandalism we have not yet heard them. Something died in all of us when they murdered beauty. Personally, I hope that for the rest of their lives they will be known  as the men who chopped down the iconic tree and that that reputation will follow them to their graves.

Below - the sycamore tree and Sycamore Gap seen  via Google Streetview from the nearby "B" road...

32 comments:

  1. I read earlier today that someone planted another sycamore nearby but it was taken down since the area is protected. I personally would have probably made an exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are other plans afoot and they need to be thought through.

      Delete
  2. The tree was certainly part of history. Society recognized the tree. Very few places have something this significant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was magical that the tree found that place to grow and indeed thrive.

      Delete
  3. What an awful story and naturally enough, similar has happened here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are very hard to understand.

      Delete
  4. It is hard to understand the mind of anyone who would do that, isn't it? What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be that the man in his sixties had a chip on his shoulder about a recent eviction.

      Delete
  5. I cried when I heard about the tree on the news, trees are one of my very favourite things and to cut down one still in its prime for no damn good reason is a shameful sin. Those two should be made to travel the length and breadth of the country planting new trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not murder, not a bank robbery but somehow it seems worse than that - stealing the beauty.

      Delete
  6. No it was a foolish but generous gesture on the part of the person. The way forward is for an expert to make a decision for the long term. Whether by letting the old tree stump regrowth, or by planting a mature sycamore tree. Going down to the nursery and just buying a tree is not environmentally sound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If a gale had blown it over we would say that it's sad and probably plant a big specimen with a mechanical digger. I hope they use the old wood to make a bench or sculpture to commemorate such a wonderful tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O.K. told me of this, and I was wonsering why Imhad not read about it on any of the blogs I follow. Now I have.
    Destroying beauty of any kind is something I simply don‘t get. It starts with leaving rubbish in the woods or along a path and ends with cutting down a perfectly healthy tree NOT for needing the wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senseless destruction just for the hell of it - in the dead of night when the wind was blowing. The main perpetrator may have had a big chip on his shoulder about a recent eviction.

      Delete
  9. I am upset as anyone about the wanton destruction of that beautiful tree, but it is not yet proved that the 2 bailed persons had anything to do with it.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Frances. We should wait and see.

      Delete
  10. Personally I hope that for the rest of their lives they live in ignominy and fester in a damp, dark prison cell, forgotten by all. They won't of course, and will probably be fêted by the idiots who wish they had thought of the idea first. This stupid couple have sadly made their mark in history and will probably enjoy more than their 15 minutes of fame. I just hope it doesn't spawn the desecration of other treasured natural landmarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cautionary end remark is sadly very valid.

      Delete
  11. Such a meaningless thing to do. I saw/read about this somewhere else recently as well, but can't recall now whether it was in our news or perhaps popped up on Facebook. I'm not sure if I ever saw the tree IRL myself but I did once upon a time visit some part of Hadrian's wall (on a family holiday road trip back in my teens).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have driven past it without realising.

      Delete
  12. My husband's family come from near there and I was reminded of it recently when I read the novel by L J Ross which weirdly I only finished reading two weeks ago. I cannot think of any reasonable excuses as to why those two men would have wanted to fell that beautiful tree and I hope they lock them up for a very long time which we all know is not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we get to learn the truth of this.

      Delete
  13. I actually saw an article about that tree over here a few days ago. WHY would anyone do that? Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree was heavy with symbolism for so many.

      Delete
  14. I read about that but no motive told. Mindless vandalism, it seems. I'm surprised, though, at the ages of the criminals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be that the older man had a grudge against the Northumberland National Park authorities having recently been evicted from his rental property. I am just surmising.

      Delete
  15. I grieve for the tree and the people but I saw this:
    "We curse the one benighted chap who felled the sycamore at the gap, but tolerate those richer guys who burn whole forests, seas and skies"
    And this is undeniably true. If only there was real justice for the real vandalism

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a terrible story. I am very curious about the motive. I heard the eviction theory, but how would chopping down the tree strike back at his landlords? Do they even own this land? I thought it was a National Trust site.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits