14 November 2023

Termination

As some of you will recall, in one of my other online lives I am a keen contributor to the Geograph photo-mapping project. I have taken photographs in 14,803 different squares - the British Isles being divided into over three hundred thousand of these squares which measure 1km by 1km.

On the Geograph home page, they declare that  the project has attracted 13,815 different contributors since its inception in December 2005. However, behind that figure there lurks another story.

I joined Geograph in 2009 which was the year I retired from full time teaching here in Sheffield. That connection is clearly not uncommon. As I read it, I would say that a substantial proportion of Geograph contributors are retired folk with time on their hands to roam about with their cameras. Of course, when someone retires the next big thing in their life will be death and when a Geograph contributor dies then he or she will cease contributing images. Crazy I know - but it's true!

What you find is this. A contributor will have been uploading new pictures on a weekly basis  for years and then all of a sudden their contributions stop. Okay they may have got bored with the whole thing or maybe they've had a debilitating stroke or maybe someone stole their camera or something like that but mostly the endings are down to death.

I wonder what my very last picture will be? Here I am sharing the last images of three previously busy Geograph contributors. This was the last picture of Dr Neil Clifton who submitted 16,509 photos between December 2005 and November 15th 2018. It was taken on Fleece Street in  Rochdale, Lancashire that same month:-


John Allan made many wonderful contributions - mostly of Scottish scenery between December 2005 and May 2021. This was his very last picture of the east beach at North Berwick:-


Kate Jewell contributed 7871 images to Geograph from its inception to May 7th 2020 though her last picture of a canal lock near Cotgrave, Nottinghamshire was in fact taken in the summer of 2006:-

And if you are wondering about the picture at the top of this blogpost. It is of Elliottholme Lodge near Bakewell, Derbyshire. I snapped it just last Friday. And if I fail to wake up in the morning, following the example of my brother Paul, it is this image that will be my last gift to Geograph and the world. My swan song.  Thank you and good night. (Sound of hooting, cheers and foot stomping)

34 comments:

  1. This is an interesting and useful project. as far as I know we don't have anything like it here. Last photo? Bah! Anybody who walks as much as you do will be around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you will outlive me Red! The race is on!

      Delete
  2. We never know when our end will be (or a life changing event)
    I wonder if there's an Australian Geograph.....off to google

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a German Geograph but not Australian as far as I know. Perhaps you could get it going Kylie!

      Delete
  3. Oh that Elliottholme Lodge is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very peaceful location and yet just five minutes by car to the centre of bustling Bakewell.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures, all of them. I'm sure you will wake up in the morning, so I'll stop here and say "seeya tomorra"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The next big thing for many a retiree is not death, but grandchildren - as in your case. And for some others, it is a world trip, a move to a more comfortable place in a quieter area, the start of a new hobby or taking up volunteer work - it could be a number of things. Death certainly is the last big thing for all of us, though, and it is good to keep in mind that we just don't know how long we'll be around. Take my sister's closest friend R - it is the first anniversary of his death today. He would have turned 59 only 3 weeks later. Thankfully, my sister had the opportunity to be at his side for the last weeks of his life, and used them well. He knew he was loved.
    And you were there for your brother until the end - and beyond, sorting out his estate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a bad photo to go out on. You should wake in a hour or worse, two. Let us know you survived the night before we write posts about your last Geograph picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November 15th and I am still alive so you have my full permission to rejoice Andrew!

      Delete
  7. Miserable creature! Actually it is quite interesting what we set out to record before our death. Maybe it is very Northern but here in Tod, there are loads of F/B chat about families, churches, mills and general brick-a-brac. Perhaps it gives an impression of a way of narrow life us Southerners have lost because we have moved around in our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "There are many communities in "The Deep South" which have seen little movement" - Miserable Creature in "Reality - A Portrait of England"

      Delete
  8. All excellent photos, but well, it's not exactly a cheerful subject is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will stick to cheerful subjects in future - like the sacking of Suella Braverman.

      Delete
    2. That even featured on our main news! I immediately thought of you :-D

      Delete
  9. We rarely know when it is the last time we will do something - drive, drink beer, say goodnight, make someone laugh, wipe our bum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was certainly true of my oldest brother Paul who died in his sleep in 2010.

      Delete
  10. Elliotholme Lodge could be a oil painting. It's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was built in 1865 under the instructions of The Duke of Rutland.

      Delete
  11. I guess all things must end. Have you searched online for obituaries of these individuals? I wonder if they're dead or just stopped contributing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done some searching yes and I can confirm that two of them are definitely deceased.

      Delete
  12. I often have the same thoughts about blogger and the last posts people write. I have often wished there was some sort of way I could write a final post that would only publish after a month or two of inactivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could prepare your own "post mortem" post and instruct a family member or friend to publish it for you after your death.

      Delete
  13. You've certainly contributed a good number of those photos! You do have an eye, Mr. P. and use it to great advantage in your photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always striving for the perfect shot.

      Delete
  14. Wishing you a long, happy, healthy life, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As long as there are new postings there is life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dying blogger could schedule a year of new postings from beyond the grave. For example... Are you really alive Mr Penguin?

      Delete
  16. Chattering finch and water-fly
    Are not merrier than I ;
    Here among the flowers I lie
    Laughing everlastingly.
    No : I may not tell the best ;
    Surely, friends, I might have guessed
    Death was but the good King's jest,
    It was hid so carefully.

    G.K. Chesterton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most appropriate in relation to this blogpost. Nice to see you're out of Barlinnie once more John.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits