Dr Johnson memorial in Uttoxeter
Now I have had time to edit the pictures I bagged on Wednesday, I want to share another bunch with you. I know that some overseas visitors to this blog rather enjoy seeing images of Ye Olde Englande caught in the camera of a native citizen. To remind you... I went to Uttoxeter in east Staffordshire and then plodded four miles to the village of Marchington before turning north to Marchington Woodlands, Hollingbury Hall and back to Uttoxeter, risking my life on the narrow verges of busy Highwood Road before paved footpaths thankfully reappeared.
One of the genuine delights of my retirement has been to walk in unfamiliar territory, taking photographs and seeing sights that confirm to me I am lucky to live here - in a land of beauty and history where almost everybody I meet is kind and friendly. I say this in all honesty.
The River Dove - border between Staffordshire and Derbyshire
Marchington Hall - dates back to 1690
St Peter's Church, Marchington
Church Farm, Marchington Woodlands
Two sheep near Brook House Farm
Cyclist passing the gates of Hollingsbury Hall
Kenneth White who died in Brittany in 2023 aged 87 coined the term Geopoetics.
ReplyDeleteThis Scottish writer would have savoured the little mysteries in your travels.
Stravaiging. Epiphanies. Staffordshire & Derbyshire border. River Dove.
Paul Theroux was surprised by the small scale of England - see My Secret History.
As an American who'd lived in Africa he was used to geography on a massive scale.
Flintheads used as tools were found in Wiltshire 90, 000 years before Stonehenge.
It's a small country but a deep one. Neolithic prehistory. Layers of buried time.
* The Tiny Country between England & Scotland. *
Kirsten Henton 2020 online. The Debatable Lands.
There's a gourmet pub near my home called The Stravaigan. Gibson Street.
"Market Street" sign is very cute.
ReplyDeleteSt Peter's looks somewhat different to most churches.
The Market Street sign is my favourite!
ReplyDeleteThe four mile walk was well worth it.
ReplyDeleteGlorious! Yes, lucky you to live where your walks can take you to such wonders.
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYes I can see the sheep, the ones on the sign and the ones in the field. I do love all the old buildings but hope the wiring and plumbing is somewhat modernised.
ReplyDeleteYes, I can see the sheep.
ReplyDeleteMarchington looks very picturesque. Is the Hall a private residence?
What you say here echoes with me - I am soon going to be "in a land of beauty and history where almost everybody I meet is kind and friendly."
And I also say this in all honesty.
I always appreciate your photos. I don’t understand why some people go to an interesting place and then post photos that are blurred, ugly and give you no idea of what the place is like - it is as if they just point the camera without even looking.
ReplyDeleteEngland, and all of Britain at its most beautiful in summertime. Sluggish rivers, old manors and funny signs.
ReplyDeleteRetirement is nice, isn't it? It gives one a chance to do things like you are doing. Going for walks and appreciating the world around you. The photos are great. I think the first one is my favorite as I love walking by water.
ReplyDeleteSheep!
ReplyDeleteI do love the architecture.
ReplyDeleteLovely scenes! And I love the blue skies in your photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks for showing us more lovely views. :)
ReplyDeleteNothing compares to taking a walk and taking pictures, in my book! I always like your photo posts.
ReplyDeleteThese are stunning. If I had some free time, I'd be off over there. I need a list of places to see when I inevitably get that extra time I yearn for.
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful ambassador for your corner of the world. I have so enjoyed seeing it through your camera lens and your stories.
ReplyDelete