11 September 2026

History

Woods where the site of Wood Hall is located

Traffic on the A1 was congested as I drove slowly to Darrington - a village south west of Leeds and about twenty five miles north of Sheffield. Then I was off the busy road and heading east along byways to the ancient village of Womersley. It was an area I had not walked in before - what I call virgin territory.

Map study at home showed me that there had once been a moated medieval manor house called Wood Hall - a mile and a half north of Womersley. I planned to plod there along farm tracks and that's what happened.

As half expected, the woods that have grown up on the manor house site have become almost impenetrable. Not many walkers go there and beyond it there are spoil heaps connected with former coal mining activity in the area with the addition of waste from remaining power stations.

I had almost given up locating something of interest but then, through the perimeter fence, something caught my eye and I scrambled in. It was the archaeological remains of  Wood Hall's  stone gatehouse and a wooden structure that I did not fully understand but I know that in past decades the hollow would have been filled with water. 

Later I learnt that in the 1990s, the site had been investigated by archaeologists from The University of York. They had made several interesting discoveries and documented work that led to a clearer picture of how Wood Hall would have appeared, evolved and functioned threough the centuries.

I took photos of Grade I listed St Martin's Church in Womersley. A stone effigy of a knight of yore lay supine in the north aisle. He was very probably Sir Adam de Newmarch who, in the late thirteenth century went off to fight the muslim "saracens" in The Holy Land. Many wealthy English nobles did the same and there are indeed many recumbent stone effigies of knights in English country churches. Sir Adam was certainly not alone but it makes me wonder why? Why did they up sticks and travel to distant lands to wage religious wars, leaving their homes and loved ones far behind? What was it truly all about?

I drove on to a small and rather unattractive village called Cridling Stubbs. The best part about that village is its name. It sounds like a nineteenth century artist who specialised in painting farm animals or a certain blogger with an exasperating right wing perspective on current affairs.

Then back to Darrington where I parked Butch on Church Lane close to another lovely old church - St Luke's. In the village shop, I treated myself to a sausage roll and a can of "Costa" coffee before aiming Butch back to Sheffield. 
Again the Friday traffic crawled sluggishly along the A1 but all was fine on the M18, the M1 and The Sheffield Parkway. I was home in time to make a nice tea for her ladyship and I - smoked gammon with pineapple, grilled tomatoes, dauphinoise potatoes and a medley of green vegetables followed by little Belgian chocolate cheesecakes that I had picked up in "Aldi".


Cow Lane, Womersley

13 comments:

  1. The gable window in the cottage in Cow Lane.
    Imagine looking out on a moonlit night in winter ?
    Was Cridley Stubbs too dull for a photo ? Wonderful name.

    Why did knights travel ?
    Why did you go to Easter Island ?
    I'm no traveller, too afraid of flying and food poisoning and filthy germs.

    I've not even been as far as Aldi in Maryhill for your chocolate cheesecakes.
    There's a street in Maryhill with vacant stone tenements & ghostly shop signs.

    THE SEARCH FOR MARY'S TOWN - THE BIRTH OF MARYHILL.
    YouTube. Ed Explores Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder about the old time "crusaders" too, why leave home and go to another country just to fight the inhabitants? Just because their religion is different? If those Crusaders hadn't bothered maybe the world today wouldn't be warring all the time over religious differences. Lovely photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ponder, what makes an English village unattractive. A Tesco in the centre of the village, surrounded by vape shops?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You covered many interesting things during that walk, but the most interesting bit is the former site of Wood Hall.

    As for the knights who went to fight in distant lands, it was usually a combination of duty (they were bound in loyalty to their king or local ruler to fight when called for by the big boss who made the decision) as well as the desire to increase their own wealth and power, usually bestowed on them and their families by said rulers upon their return from what was considered the Holy Land. But of course you know all this and your question was rhetorical.

    Your tea sounds delicious, but I shudder at the thought of coffee from a can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is the world still going off the fight wars over competing gods? Why can't we all be tolerant and be good neighbors?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you might mean Cridling Stubbs, and you are right it would make a great name.

    I looked it up on Google Maps to see what makes it so ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your walks. A bit of history, a bit of beauty, and all so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What was it truly all about?
    Follow the money.
    Probably as true then as now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Crusades were like so many wars, promoted by old men, fought by young men, all in the name of religion or honour, when in reality they were about money, property, or resources. A load of shite.
    Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another interesting walk. How wonderful that you have so many great places to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A CAN of Costa coffee?! Horrors!

    This looks like a fascinating walk. I would have been hesitant to go through the fence around the old manor but I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to use Duck, Duck, Go to find out what gammon and dauphinoise potatoes were. I think it's like smoked pork with cheesy potatoes. Sounds like a fancy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "in time to make a nice tea for her ladyship and I "

    see me after class.

    Agree about those crusaders. What was it really about? Lots of things, I guess. Perspectives may vary (eg, from pov of a "crusadee").

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits