30 January 2017

Comparisons

Google does not rest on its laurels. Change and improvement are always in the air as those clever Google boffins fiddle around with possible innovations.

All of us are familiar with the incredible search facility that Google has blessed us with. They have placed nearly all human knowledge at our fingertips. Everything is just a click away.


But did you know that you can search images? By this, I mean that you let your cursor hover over a particular image, then using the right hand button on your mouse or laptop you will find a drop down menu with one of the choices being "Search Google for Image". Click on this and you will soon find other locations where this image has been used - if any - and also a small mosaic of "Visually Similar Images".

Yesterday, I posted a striking image by the street artist Phlegm - it was a detail from his mural on Snuff Mill Lane. Hovering over the image and following the process described above, Google provided me with these "visually similar images", all black and white street art:-
The legendary Welsh blogger John Archibald Gray (or JAG for short) has several pictures in his sidebar. This is one of them:-
 And here's one of the "visually similar images" that Google quickly called up:-
Here's Ms Lee George's profile picture from "Kitchen Connection":-
 And here's a bunch of what Google consider to be "visually similar images":-
Finally here's the superb parrot header logo from the brilliant "Shooting Parrots" blog by the equally brilliant and exceedingly handsome Ian Rhodes from Greater Manchester:-
 Following the same process, Google quickly takes us to this visually similar image:-
Not only is this "search image" facility useful in numerous ways, it can also be fun as you see the kind of imagery that Google's wheels come up with in visual comparison. Lord knows how they do this so rapidly. To me it's rather magical.

19 comments:

  1. Lol..........mine is more ascetically more beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google may need to refine that algorithm a bit more ...

    I don't get that option in the drop down menu, probably because I'm using the Firebox browser. Just thought I'd mention that for the benefit of anyone else who doesn't see that choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serves you right for being a fancypants Firefox user Jenny!

      Delete
  3. I have never thought of that option!! Thank you! About Google, however, I find, when I google myself , that I actually live in my neighbours diningroom, and I wonder when they are going to notice me! Fascinating with the pictures. Wonder what you would end up with if you started up with Trump.....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you started up with Trump?...Probably an STD!

      Delete
    2. Oh really, YP, that is not very nicely put!!! I thought more like " The dungeons"....

      Delete
  4. Its a great option no doubt, google has no limitations it seems. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have some limitations Blogoratti. After all, you can't eat it... can you?

      Delete
  5. Like Jenny I don't get that choice, either....I use Firefox, too.

    There is "View Image Info"....maybe that is similar to what you describe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Lee. I just assumed that everyone would be able to access this facility.

      Delete
  6. I hear about good sights and then I promptly forget them. this time I'll have to write it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Google is a good site Red. It would be helpful not to forget it!

      Delete
    2. I see I can't spell site or use the right word! Funny you let me away with that one.

      Delete
  7. thank you for sharing this as it is new to me .
    I am so thankful to Google for the space he provided people for blogging i think this is beyond thanking !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People tend to take Google for granted, forgetting that without Google our experience of the internet would be impoverished.

      Delete
  8. A fun option to play around with, just not very accurate, as the comparison images for Lee's photo show.
    I have not checked whether I get this option or not, but as I am one of those fancypants firefox users, I probably won't, so I rely on you for some more entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just searched your avatar image. Lots of women in sunglasses come back... but no avatars.

      Delete
    2. And my avatar is not even wearing sunglasses!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits