20 September 2017

Yesterday

St Peter's Church, Old Edlington
Yesterday I went to The Lakeside shopping centre at Doncaster, I bought some new shoes and a pair of trousers. I had no luck with regard to new underpants and a new belt. That was rather frustrating. For me shopping for clothing  has always been a painful chore. I hope the trousers fit me as I couldn't be bothered to try them on. To be honest, I am the opposite of a fashionista.

Feeling  hungry, I parked up at McDonald's and ordered a quarterpounder "meal" with a latte. It was so warm in the sunshine that I sat outside to consume this "meal" and it really felt like a summer's day.

Earlier I had driven to the shopping outlet via back roads that avoided the motorways. I went to Maltby then  north to Braithwell and on to Old Edlington. This is a small settlement I had never visited before. I got out of the car to have a look at the village's  cute twelfth  century church - St Peter's. Sadly, it was locked up and clearly it was no longer a functioning church. The windows were boarded up . Apparently and tragically it suffered some vandalism in the past.
Once  known as Aepling-Tun - a Saxon settlement
I would have loved to get inside that church to see the Norman stone carvings within, However, it was only when I got home and Googled the church that I discovered where I might have borrowed a key from. It was too late.

I wore the new shoes to walk up to "The Hammer and Pincers" for the Tuesday quiz and I am happy to report that Mike, Mick and I achieved the top score. It helped that we knew that Florida is bordered by Georgia and Alabama and it also helped that we knew that the comic actress Rebel Wilson has recently won a landmark  defamation case in Australia. To tell you the truth, Mike pinched that answer from a quiz sheet abandoned by a couple who had to leave early. 
Back Lane, Old Edlington.
The building to the right is an old dovecote.

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad about a few things...that your new trousers fit you; your new shoes don't hurt; that you and your mates won the quiz, also that Rebel Wilson won her defamation case. A well-deserved, rightful win.

    I'm not glad about the vandals...vandals are the scum of the earth.

    As for McDonald's...the less said the better, on my part. I've only ever had one in my life...and the status quo shall remain so. But that's just me...I've only ever had KFC three times...and the third time I tossed it away after the first bite! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like fast food? I guess you like slow food instead? How about tortoise? It comes with its own upside down bowl.

      Delete
  2. Nice to combine shopping with a bit of sightseeing. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that's what Keith always says when he's waiting for you in the car.

      Delete
  3. Nice job on the American geography. I'm not sure that many New Yorkers could have answered that correctly. Do you know of the country music duo Florida Georgia Line? It's one of the few, if not the only, music group named for a cartographic factoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of them Vivian. I will check them out on You Tube.

      Delete
  4. I am shocked and outraged by your blatant cheating during the pub quiz! For shame! (But bravo for knowing the Florida-related trivia.)

    I guess you can still borrow a key the next time you pass through that hamlet. I can't imagine what type of person would vandalize a church. Or, I should say, I'd rather NOT imagine them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blame my quiz chum Mike Steve! he was the one who cheated - not me! Please don't be so angry!

      Delete
  5. I, too, call you out for cheating!! (Well, Mike, really.) But impressed by your other knowledge. If you won by more than the points given for the stolen answer, it wouldn't make any difference anyway :)

    And it's not like you vandalized a church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have been a judge or perhaps the queen of a small country - Donkeyland!

      Delete
    2. Why thank you for recognizing the truth; I'll use this as a reference, shall I?

      Delete
  6. I'm like you when it comes to buying clothes. Color? Price? Material? I'm afraid I don't consider these important factors too much.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits