5 October 2022

Bert

This is my friend Bert - short for Albert. He's showing off his new false teeth which he picked up last Friday. They have caused him a degree of discomfort but he's getting used to them. Soon he'll be eating normally once more and hopefully putting on a bit of weight. When you are eighty five years old, losing more than a stone in weight because you are without a bottom set of gnashers is surely not good for your general health.

Bert has never had a mobile phone and has never been on a computer for any reason whatsoever. He lives with one foot in the past and can remember being evacuated from London's East End to rural Northamptonshire when he was just a nipper. He can also remember V.E. Day and has a prized photo of a street party with trestle tables and him sitting there amidst the happy people.

He is unfailingly upbeat and positive with a sunny philosophy of life - smile and the world smiles with you...  if you have ailments don't moan about them just try to battle through.... try to look on the bright side of life. He is also a staunch Labour Party supporter and like me he has never voted for any other political party.

Bert worked from the age of thirteen to seventy - always in manual jobs from the tanning industry in Northampton to concrete casting and railway carriage refurbishments in Sheffield . He also recalls with some affection his two years of National Service at Warcop in Cumberland in the 1950's. In fact it's amazing how vivid some of those memories are.

Bert likes to sing songs from long ago such as "Bringing My Baby Back Home", "We'll Meet Again" and "Have You Got a Light Boy?" - a novelty song by The Singing Postman from 1966.

Everybody likes Bert. He's just one of those people who radiates goodwill.

He still manages to trudge up to the pub three nights a week even though he will be 86 years old in November. I suppose there will come a day when his pub visits come to a halt and on that day I shall miss him.

Last night he said:-

"You really like me don't you?"

"Yes I do."

"Is it because I'm an old twat?"

"No. Your age doesn't mean anything to me Bert. I like you because of the man you are and because of your sunny character".

He smiled contentedly at that.

I reckon that I have known Bert for thirty three years. I met him in the pub soon after we moved to this suburb of the city, south of Endcliffe Park by the main road to The Peak District National Park. I am glad  he gave me permission to snap these pictures last night. They were the best of the bunch.

43 comments:

  1. I can see what a good and kind man Bert is from these pictures. What a nice smile! We should all follow his example as we age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be contented. To be happy. These are Bert's prime goals in life.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:25 pm

    We all love someone like Bert. Life advice, yes mention your medical problems to those who might care, but never moan on about your health, whether it is good or bad. If you are in pain, that might not be so easy, but do put on a best face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bert is a great drinking friend to have. I imagine you have some great characters. I have always voted Labour? They are the party for the ordinary people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad that so many "ordinary people" can't see that reality.

      Delete
  4. Did Bert never marry? I imagine he would be a fine grandad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert is a divorcee. He has two sons - both in their fifties and a granddaughter aged twelve.

      Delete
  5. In my world, someone like Bert is compared to a library due to their wealth of knowledge and experiences. When they die, it is much the same as setting fire to a library and all that knowledge and experience becomes lost forever.

    So when I meet someone like that who is a library, I try to learn as much as I can while it is still accessible to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful way of seeing old age Ed. I like it.

      Delete
    2. Echoing Neil.
      The finest three sentences I read today. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Bert looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could arm wrestle you into submission Bob!

      Delete
  7. Neat neighbor, the world needs more like him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has enriched my life - just through knowing him.

      Delete
  8. I genuinely wish I could sit across from Bert and enjoy a beer and a chat. What a lovely face he has. His sunny personality shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bert's song Have You Got A Light Boy? reminded me of AE Housman.
    A poem of friendship, mortality and a town in Shropshire, once called Salop.

    When I came last to Ludlow
    Amidst the moonlight pale,
    Two friends kept step beside me,
    Two honest lads and hale.

    Now Dick lies long in the churchyard,
    And Ned lies long in jail,
    And I come home to Ludlow
    Amidst the moonlight pale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely lines. Thanks for sharing them. It is a poem I used to know well.

      Delete
  10. Bert reminds me of my friend George Pickles, who was the same age as Bert but sadly died very suddenly (sad for us, good for him - no long, drawn out suffering like what my Dad is going through at the moment) only a few weeks after I met up with him and his wife in Ripon this summer.
    He seems the same kind of decent man; honest, hard-working, upbeat and friendly. Yes indeed - smile, and the world smiles at you. I am very pleased for Bert to be able to smile with a full set of teeth again (let alone eat!), and for you to have such a good friend.
    Cheers, Bert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry George Pickles has left to be a hornblower in the sky.

      Delete
  11. A very handsome man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be telling him that Mary but please don't worry - I won't tell Glen!

      Delete
  12. Bert is a "National Treasure". There are so few of his generation left with such good memories and such pleasing personalities. That he has enriched your life just by knowing him is the finest compliment you could give him.
    Hope his teeth have bedded in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His mouth is still a bit sore but hopefully things will keep improving.

      Delete
  13. "A sunny philosophy of life" - certainly words to live by, Neil!
    All of the hours I have wasted worrying about something that never happens anyway!
    I am trying to do better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I often say to Bert - we cannot help who we are. You cannot playact your outlook on life.

      Delete
  14. YP: Do you like me because I'm a sad East Riding prat?
    TD: Where you were born does not matter to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP: It matters to me and I am not a prat.

      Delete
  15. I like that face. His good nature shines from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No religion whatsoever but a heart of gold.

      Delete
  16. He looks a nice guy and a good friend to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right ADDY - even though he originally hailed from that there London place .

      Delete
  17. Bert has a very friendly and humor filled face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's almost eighty six but at times it seems like his sixteen. He can be very naughty.

      Delete
  18. Fine post about a fine friend plus Hull 2 Wigan 1 – fine day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We needed that victory Sean - after five straight defeats. And a new manager to come. Up The Tigers!

      Delete
    2. Yes, the three points were badly needed. Up the Tigers! Haaland for Hull! ;-)

      Delete
  19. he'll be even happier if he can get some decent food down the cake hatch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just one look at Bert says it all. He looks positive and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. He looks like a happy soul. He also looks like he has a good many years left.
    You missed my Sunday post, under the trickle down post. I thought you were in spam, but no spam at all when I checked.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Say a big hello to Bert from me next time you see him. He looks like a lovely man. ( and wish him good luck with the teeth!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely portrait of a lovely man. I think I would use the word 'grace' for him and also being stoical which is a strong virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I envy anyone who's never been on a computer!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits