19 October 2022

Extras

It's nice to be able to share some of my photographs in this blog. It's also nice to receive positive feedback about those images from visitors who are not in the habit of dishing out praise just for the sake of it. Thank you to all who left encouraging remarks in relation to yesterday's pictorial blogpost - all gratefully received.

Anyway, I am afraid that I can't think of anything new to blog about this evening so instead I am just going to share another batch of photos from my trip to Romiley and the surrounding area so here goes:-

Above: The office block of Romiley Board Mill reflected in the still water 
of The Peak Forest Canal.

England was once a nation of churchgoers. Today that is most definitely not the case as far as Christians are concerned. In fact, most of the so-called Christians would object to that label. 

In Gee Cross I took photos of two churches that once boasted large and loyal congregations. Above is Gee Cross Methodist Church. It was opened in 1882 but now it is up for sale and suffering through lack of maintenance. It's looking like this might be one for the demolition squad. Some old Methodist churches  are successfully re-purposed as apartment blocks but given its location and state of disrepair, I doubt there's any future for this building though I hope that I am wrong.

Also in Gee Cross is Holy Trinity Church. See below. It opened in 1874 and under The Reverend Helen Scarisbrick it continues to attract a reasonable number of parishioners and is thus bucking the trend. As I approached from the other side of the tower, I came across a lady in her late seventies or early eighties sweeping up autumn leaves along the main church path. We chatted for a while and I asked her why the church clock had no hands. She assured me it was because the clock faces and internal workings are currently undergoing costly refurbishment and the hands will be replaced in due course.


Yesterday I showed you the bottom section of this war memorial in Werneth Low Country Park. Below - I think that that is a late blooming dahlia at Uplands Farm. You are welcome to correct me if I am wrong.
And finally below, autumn oak leaves on the pavement (American: sidewalk) that runs past Romiley Park. It seems to be the current fashion to display photos of autumn leaves on northern hemisphere blogs so why shouldn't I?

18 comments:

  1. You could tell me how Romiley is pronounced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a church-goer but I love the architecture of churches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn leaves are as good a subject as any.
    The Methodist church looks a bit run down but it has very good bones

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spot where that obelisk stands would probably be one of my favourite places to direct my after-work walks to if I lived in Romiley.
    I think you are correct and the flower is a dahlia, although I am not always sure about the difference between dahlias and chrysanthemums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos YP, I love that reflection. I'll read yesterday's post now, my eyes were too blurry to read then after that eye test.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably intentional but the Methodist church is not so typical church like. I think there may be better buildings to fight for. I read recently that getting natural light into a church to convert them to apartments is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting selection of photos. It's a shame that the Methodist Church has fallen into such a sorry state. It was a handsome building in its time it seems.
    The war memorial looks quite bleak, perhaps it is just its setting. Over here, they are a little more uplifting in appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am seeing similar results with churches over here, especially Methodist ones. We have a couple here in town that have been repurposed into apartment buildings. One however was recently demolished which raised the fury of many people online but when several pointed out that it has been for sale for many years before that and nobody had bought it, not to mention it was full of asbestos, the fury was short lived.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Churches look like Gothic space rockets to me. That old Methodist church would be great for an indoor flea market or for Rock concerts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful autumn leaves, but then, all of your photos are beautiful. You have a good eye for photography.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think apartments carved out of repurposed churches look pretty amazing. I'd live in one. It's a shame that church couldn't be saved the same way. I love that first picture of the reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's sad that the church is up for sale. I hope whoever buys it, doesn't demolish it.

    Lovely photos and I love that reflection photo, as well as the oak leaves. I don't know if you remember, a couple of years ago I decided to try and grow oak trees with no success. A squirrel has had better success though and I now have five oak tree seedlings growing in my garden. I'll dig them up next spring and give them to a friend of my husband's who has an acreage and wants to grow oak trees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems here that our churches are more and more modern horrors. I have no idea why I would care- not like I'm going to be visiting them. I suppose they've always been built to impress people into believing that the brand of religion they represent is the truest and most impressive. Or something. Except for the little country churches which are generally just small places for people to come together in out of the weather.
    Your camera skills are growing all the time, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also just read the news that Liz Truss has resigned. That didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots and lots of leaves coming down around here. The colors have been fabulous and vibrant - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that water reflection in the first photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. England has lost her soul.
    The derelict Methodist church at Gee Cross is pitiful.
    I could stand in Werneth Low Park and contemplate the end of Christianity.
    It began with the great St. Augustine landing on these shores.

    ReplyDelete
  18. From what I can see via Google Lens, that flower is a Dahlia Cherwell Goldcrest. No ordinary fish.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits