13 October 2022

Sauntering

Lone tree on Longstone Moor

Three hours of sauntering this afternoon in lovely autumnal weather. I didn't even bother with my jacket. The only stops I made were to take photographs or to take a breath. Otherwise, I just kept plodding along. Down Black Harry Lane to Black Harry Gate and on to Longstone Edge. 

It's an area that has known a lot of quarrying and mining  both for lead and limestone. If you know how to look, the evidence is everywhere. By the way, I have no idea who Black Harry was but I wouldn't have wished to encounter him on a dark night in bygone days. What would he have done with my plastic debit card?

I skirted the edge of Black Plantation climbing up, up to Watersaw Rake and on to Longstone Moor. In the wide saucer-like valley beyond I could see Wardlow Mires where Frances and Stewart had their wedding reception three years ago. Before COVID, before Mad Brexit, before Johnson was disgraced,  before Hapless Truss and Kwarteng  and before Little Phoebe came to join us in a sheet carried gently by a stork.

I drove home via Stoney Middleton down in the valley. An information board claimed that that village's high street was once reputed to be the steepest high street in the British Isles. I guess they had never been to Staithes or Clovelly or Runswick Bay or several other coastal villages I could mention.

Back home after half past four ready to start preparing meatballs in a nice tomato sauce with red pepper, onions and mushrooms - served with wholewheat spaghetti. Shirley was heading out for a Women's Institute meeting so our evening meal had to be quite early.

And now I am popping down to the local to see Bert and to slake my thirst. See you later. I will add the photos then.

View to Wardlow Mires beyond a drystone wall

34 comments:

  1. The last photo is awesome showing the valley and countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our dry-stone walls are works of art as well as functionality.

      Delete
  2. Black Harry did not come to a good end.
    http://smhccg.org/folklore-legends/black-harry-highwayman/

    The photos however are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing the research Nurse Pixie. I have now read that page.

      Delete
  3. Love that first photo. Seems so peaceful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see lone trees and to think of the battles they have had with the weather.

      Delete
  4. I guess you've not perused Mr. A.C. Doyle. He would have advised you to avoid the moors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not see The Hound of the Baskervilles. Must have been sleeping in his kennel with a squeaky toy.

      Delete
  5. I haven't made meatballs in soooo long! I usually make patties and fry them. Maybe this week I'll do meatballs instead and have them with spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours were lovely using good quality low fat mince.

      Delete
  6. It was the perfect day for walking, and as always, you chose a great area for it and brought back great pictures.
    For the first time in a month, I am going to spend the weekend at O.K.'s. Hopefully the weather plays along and we can go for one of our beloved long walks or hikes in the Black Forest (nothing to do with Harry Black or Black Plantation).
    I do need something like that right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is the best therapy there is for grief.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn blue is somehow different from summer blue. Perhaps purer.

      Delete
  8. We live in such a beautiful country. Your photos do it justice. I am a fan of sheep as their wool provides my knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you just wrestle them to the ground and get working with your clippers?

      Delete
  9. I want to see the so-called steepest high street in Britain! Even if it's not. I like the sheep too, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you say "like" the sheep, what do you mean? Some men "like" sheep rather too much.

      Delete
  10. The sheep look contented to be out enjoying the sunshine. Surprised they didn't join you part of the way on your walk.
    Lovely photos as always YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most sheep are skittish. They seem rather fearful of humans and I don't blame them!

      Delete
  11. Sounds delightful, thank you for taking us alone, such handsome sheep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome to come along but next time could you bring some sausage rolls and a flask of hot soup?

      Delete
  12. I just love that close-up of the sheep's fuzzy face. The last photo of the landscape is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that fuzzy sheep is of the Ryeland breed but I might be wrong.

      Delete
  13. I am loving that stone wall with the block steps built in so a person can climb over. I am wondering if there are steps on the other side too? Did you climb over that, Neil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I did climb over that wall Ellen and there are identical steps on the other side. You need to be careful. It would be easy to fall.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful eye-catchers Neil. And a meal after my taste.
    Suppose you will enjoy your pint tonight and the hunt on Truss. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truss needs trussing up and roasting - just like a Christmas turkey. No sexual innuendo intended.

      Delete
  15. As always, I'm jealous of your seemingly endless places to walk and ogle new scenes along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are indeed endless routes and before too long one of them will be north west of Huddersfield Ed!

      Delete
  16. The sheep photo is excellent. Dry stone walls impress me. We have quite a few in my state made from bluestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I never knew the drystone walling came to Victoria.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits